Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Some pictures of the tie in at Doughiska.

Some more pics...

3916548851_e2b1978c02_b.jpg

3916542879_ef1f9f5714_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Great pics Nath.

Here's a few from today at J15 at Mackney. Give you an idea why you won't see traffic using this to get around the fair in 3 weeks.:)

Looking from the existing N6
    i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=DSC00455.JPG&s=1000

The overbridge. Still some work to be done.
    i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=DSC00458.JPG&s=1000

Looking East at the pedestrian overbrige.
    i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=DSC00460.JPG&s=1000

Long shot looking West. You can see the central concrete barrier being installed in the distance.
    i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=DSC00463.JPG&s=1000

View down the West bound off ramp.
    i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=DSC00465.JPG&s=1000

More here: http://gallery.m6.kaizersoze.net/index.php?album=western-internchange-mackney-j15&page=2

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Great pics Nath.

Here's a few from today at J15 at Mackney. Give you an idea why you won't see traffic using this to get around the fair in 3 weeks.:)

Thanks Kaizersoze, looks like there's a bit of work to be done alright.

I'll try and get some better shots of the tie in at Doughiska next weekend, weather permitting etc. There is a big push on there, working late hours and weekends (well Saturdays anyway, not sure about Sundays).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Stunning shots. Thanks so much for these great updates, Nath and Kaizersoze. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

3931497430_3509f2d255.jpg3930714583_3c5306dc73.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

can you explain why the sing sasy 56Km of dual carraige way and 7km of single carriage way?

whre is the singel carriage way ?

amen wrote: »
    can you explain why the sing sasy 56Km of dual carraige way and 7km of single carriage way?

single carriage way to loughrea i'm assuming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

amen wrote: »

The various link roads from M6 to the old N6 road...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

single carriage way to loughrea i'm assuming

Yeah, It'll be the N65 when it opens.
    It ties into the middle roundabout on the Loughrea bypass.

• Advertisement

Electronic signs went up yesterday heading out of Ballinasloe towards Galway stating 'New road layout from Sept 22nd'.
    I don't know if they're just diverting onto the first RAB (first pic above) or they intend to have the overbridge and link to the Portumna road complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Electronic signs went up yesterday heading out of Ballinasloe towards Galway stating 'New road layout from Sept 22nd'.
    I don't know if they're just diverting onto the first RAB (first pic above) or they intend to have the overbridge and link to the Portumna road complete.

I think they are going to reroute the road onto the new roundabouts across from Garbally - But it didn't look like it'd be ready when I saw it on Friday evening. there was a large height difference between the foundations of the new section and the existing road, about a metre and a half or so.
    I was distracted coming back tonight, cant remember if there was work going on, There was work going under the N6 overbridge at Aughrim.

There are also the posts up along the side of the Motorway when you can see from west of Balinasloe.

I think they are going to reroute the road onto the new roundabouts across from Garbally - But it didn't look like it'd be ready when I saw it on Friday evening. there was a large height difference between the foundations of the new section and the existing road, about a metre and a half or so.
    I was distracted coming back tonight, cant remember if there was work going on, There was work going under the N6 overbridge at Aughrim.
    There are also the posts up along the side of the Motorway when you can see from west of Balinasloe.

Yeah. They have to do the tie in. Maybe that's what the the 'new road layout' is about. Forgot about havin to do the tie in. No equivalent sign heading eastbound though.:confused:

Those posts (black) are for timber panels they're installing each side of the motorway. The road is elevated along there so no banking possible. They're installing the panels instead. Armco going alongside them as well. You can make them out in this photo.

i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=DSC00463.JPG&s=1000

Tie in work to existing N6 started this evening. One lane closed and stop/go in operation. It joins in 2 places and both are being done.

Tie in work to existing N6 started this evening. One lane closed and stop/go in operation. It joins in 2 places and both are being done.

any pictures or plans of the layout of this tie in floating about ?

any pictures or plans of the layout of this tie in floating about ?

i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=N6TieinMackney.PNG&s=1000

RAB closest to N6 with interchange in the background.
    i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=DSC00455.JPG&s=1000

i thought you were on about the tie in a dougiska (sp??)

anyone any plans on that one ?

:D...Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Once this is finished, will it allow them to open the "Ballinasloe West" juction and by-pass the town, or is the actually road/bridge not yet finished ?

ta.

Once this is finished, will it allow them to open the "Ballinasloe West" juction and by-pass the town, or is the actually road/bridge not yet finished ?

ta.

Not really. What it will do is allow them to complete the link road accross to the Portumna road so they can close the existing road at the foot bridge. The overbridge is nearly ready and RAB's are well advanced. They can't do much more with the mainline till they can close off the Portumna road.

Westbound traffic using the new RAB today.

One of the guys working there last night told me the link road, RAB's and overbridge will be complete within a month. April 2010 is the info he had for full scheme completion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Traffic delays are expected for the next four months on the N6 Oranmore – Galway road as a roundabout is being constructed to join to the new Galway to Ballinasloe road. The roundabout, at what will be called Coolagh Junction, started just last week and construction will continue until January 2010, when the whole N6 scheme is completed.

A spokesperson for Galway County Council said there would be diversions in place in and around the stretch of road between Briarhill roundabout and Doughiska roundabout while the works continue.

They said that while they expect that traffic disruption will be minimal, there will be disruption to traffic while the construction of the roundabout takes place, as there will be activity on the road right up until the road actually opens.

More here.

serfboard wrote: »
    More here.

I'd say their completion date might be as accurate as this statement...:D
    A second toll plaza is to be constructed on Ballinasloe to Athlone M6 stretch, near Cappataggle.

Both East and Westbound now using the new RAB and tie-in work is substantially complete. Just the usual footpaths and making good. Serious work for just 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They were still working at Doughiska at 21:20 under floodlights when I passed last night.

Anyone know what the story is with the existing N6 either side of the new roundabout that they're putting in?

It was wide median. Are they making it 3 lanes Eastbound from the Briarhill roundabout to the M6 junction - 2 lanes for the roundabout, 1 lane for the left turning free flow slip onto the M6?

And going Westbound on the existing N6 from the Galway Clinic roundabout to the M6 roundabout will it be 3 lanes going into the roundabout - left & middle lane for straight on through the roundabout and the middle and right lane for turning right onto the M6?

Surely that would make the most sense, although it obviously would be so much better if they put in a trumpet instead of the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

Don't know if this question has been asked already, but will there be traffic lights on the new roundabout at the Galway clinic? Traffic is already backed up on the western motors roundabout due to the supid placement of lights at parkmore junction. Don't know which will be worse the new RB with or without lights. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

KevR wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with the existing N6 either side of the new roundabout that they're putting in?

It was wide median. Are they making it 3 lanes Eastbound from the Briarhill roundabout to the M6 junction - 2 lanes for the roundabout, 1 lane for the left turning free flow slip onto the M6?

And going Westbound on the existing N6 from the Galway Clinic roundabout to the M6 roundabout will it be 3 lanes going into the roundabout - left & middle lane for straight on through the roundabout and the middle and right lane for turning right onto the M6?

Surely that would make the most sense, although it obviously would be so much better if they put in a trumpet instead of the roundabout.

Trumpet would be nice :( As far as I know also, no, it wont be three lanes all the way, just for a bit. Its not really a 3 lane so much as a slip road.

rekrow wrote: »
    Don't know if this question has been asked already, but will there be traffic lights on the new roundabout at the Galway clinic? Traffic is already backed up on the western motors roundabout due to the supid placement of lights at parkmore junction. Don't know which will be worse the new RB with or without lights. Any thoughts?

Going Eastbound on the existing N6 towards the new roundabout should be ok when the motorway opens because there will be a left turning free flow slip onto the motorway. All traffic using the motorway from this side will bypass the roundabout. It will be a different story from the other side though.

rekrow wrote: »

slightly off topic - but how are the lights at the parkmore junction stupid - you never had to run the gauntlet of using that junction pre traffic light days.

also off topic but on the topic of that junction , why don't the guards police the left lane from R339 onto the round about at western motors (like the do at oranmore), the amount of folk who use the left lane to head into galway 3rd exit every day is crazy - considering that the right lane is generally less traffic in it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

slightly off topic - but how are the lights at the parkmore junction stupid - you never had to run the gauntlet of using that junction pre traffic light days.

You obviously don't use it coming out of town and out the Monivea Rd (R339) then. The only reason for lights there is to let people out of the industrial estates in Parkmore. Pre-traffic lights you didn't get out of Parkmore but you didn't get stopped suddenly in the middle of the roundabout either. Stopping traffic after a freeflow junction (which roundabouts are supposed to be) makes no sense at all.

As someone who lives out that way there has to be a better way of handling this junction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement