Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Although I'm glad that blue has gone up for sanity reasons, it still is quite entertaining that every single one of those signs is wrong.

Maybe we can use this to get the NRA to consider a third tranche? :D

Or maybe not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

KevR wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand what the delay is with switching on the street lights at the N18 junction and at Doughiska. The lighting columns were installed weeks ago.

Maybe they still need an ESB supply ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Maybe they still need an ESB supply ???

Or maybe the toll company don't want to pay for the electricity until the road is open and revenue positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Some pictures of the M6 Roundabout at Doughiska taken this morning, most of the work looks to be done now, the slip roads look more or less complete and both carraigeways of the M6 are now coming right into the roundabout.

4019341134_239c803c21_b.jpg

4019343254_7436109271_b.jpg

4019347208_a706dd9312_b.jpg

4019345396_50128f90bc_b.jpg

4018587027_8dc6c6c0ea_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Thanks for the pictures!

Was driving through there a few nights ago with a mate and he didn't have a clue where we were. He's from Galway and knows the area but the last time he was on that bit of the N6 none of that work had been done. He couldn't believe it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Death trap at 6am on Friday morning there.

The workers had cordoned off the fast lane halfway up to the clinic but the quick cars didn't see this until the last moment and 3/4 cars almost collided at top speed.

My advice is to stay in the slow lane and be careful!

My advice is to stay in the slow lane and be careful!

The lane arrangements have been chopping and changing constantly for the last few weeks. Sometimes it was the slow lane which was getting dropped.

It was/is dangerous at night because the floodlights weren't lighting the approach to the roundabout that well, only the roundabout itself was well lit. And I found the floodlights a bit blinding/disorientating when driving towards them.

I do wish they would get the street lights switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I notice it's been named the 'Coolagh roundabout' and pasted with a County Council crest, I'm surprised that for continuity's sake it wasn't slapped with a city crest and given the tribe name that was dropped at Monnigessha (excuse the spelling but you know where I mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I saw this junction for the first time today and it really is very bad. Why the hell is it a roundabout?

Also how far is the wide median going out to? The N18 interchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I think it was that this scheme and the Outer Bypass were supposed to begin around the same time, so the bypass should have taken the bulk of the traffic and redistribute it. With all the fighting that went on, the bypass got delayed, and with the financial collapse, its unlikey to be built unless the PPPs get going.

I really dont think those in charge saw the Coolagh junction as being anything more than a temporary terminus. Unfortunately, it now looks more or less permanent.

Edit: But if the M17/18 gets built before the Bypass, then the fun starts. All Dublin, Tuam and Limerick traffic will hit this one roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Laziness and lack of imagination. Its just one fricking junction (which sevices an inter-urban plus atlantic corridoor). Surely worth the extra few quid to make it free flow.

Head up their backsides as usual with the cost-benefit analysis, recession or no recession

Some pictures taken from the J19 overbridge (Carnmore/Glenascaul) around 6pm yesterday evening.

Looking East

4022435380_806a02d0c8_b.jpg

4021677007_52abd0a07a_b.jpg

4021678879_2cd9e04c37_b.jpg

Looking West

4022441210_5d5105c2ab_b.jpg

4022433534_223ee74381_b.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My My My , that eastbound lane looks like castle park skanger heaven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Laziness and lack of imagination. Its just one fricking junction (which sevices an inter-urban plus atlantic corridoor). Surely worth the extra few quid to make it free flow.

Head up their backsides as usual with the cost-benefit analysis, recession or no recession

That junction will never serve the Atlantic Corridor and will only serve an interurban until the Outer Bypass is built.

You realise we're talking about the monstrosity at Doughiska not the monstrosity at Rathmorrisey here? Tis hard to keep track...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Wonderful photos Nath. Great to see some wearing course down. Just to reiterate - April is the date I've been given. Apparently the NRA's EIS was a little misleading and delayed the project somewhat.

Furet wrote: »
    Apparently the NRA's EIS was a little misleading and delayed the project somewhat.

Do elaborate !

Nath wrote: »
    Some pictures taken from the J19 overbridge (Carnmore/Glenascaul) around 6pm yesterday evening.

Great pictures Nath! I got a few from J19 this morning, may as well post them. Also, have a few from the R348 overbridge South East of Athenry.

R348 pics:

Looking West from the R348 overbridge:
    th_M6R348Overbridge11.jpg th_M6R348Overbridge13.jpg

On the mainline looking East:
    th_M6R348Overbridge12.jpg th_M6R348Overbridge10.jpg

Looking across the R348 overbridge (note the M6 stretching Westwards on the left of the photo):
    th_M6R348Overbridge2.jpg

On the overbridge looking East:
    th_M6R348Overbridge3.jpg th_M6R348Overbridge5.jpg

On the mainline looking West towards the overbridge:
    th_M6R348Overbridge6.jpg th_M6R348Overbridge8.jpg

Looking East from the overbridge:
    th_M6R348Overbridge9.jpg

Junction 19 pictures:

Looking East:
    th_M6Junction1910.jpg th_M6Junction1914.jpg

Westbound on-ramp signage:
    th_M6Junction1911.jpg th_M6Junction199.jpg

N18/J19 roundabout signage:
    th_M6Junction193.jpg

Looking West:
    th_M6Junction198.jpg th_M6Junction194.jpg

Looking East again:
    th_M6Junction195.jpg

Looking down the Westbound on-ramp:
    th_M6Junction1915.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So it looks like at least one section of the M6 Galway-Ballinasloe is grassy/wide median after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Do elaborate !

I can't. But I have heard that there's a possibility that the contractor will seek compensation off the NRA. My source is affliliated with the M7/M8 scheme and gave me that information in a 'by the by' type context.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how far the wide median stretches? I didn't see wide median at the start of the M6 at Doughiska?

From what I have seen, it's wide median from where the Galway Bypass will branch off (near the airport) to Rathmorrissey. Although I'm not 100% sure because it's difficult to get onto the M6 near Rathmorrissey.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So it looks like at least one section of the M6 Galway-Ballinasloe is grassy/wide median after all.

Hopefully they will keep the median grass well maintained and not let it go wild. Long grass and a concrete barrier will look ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Hopefully they will keep the median grass well maintained and not let it go wild. Long grass and a concrete barrier will look ugly.

True that. The M18 Ennis bypass looks ridiculous with grass growing all along the concrete median.

Furet wrote: »
    I can't. But I have heard that there's a possibility that the contractor will seek compensation off the NRA.

That is nearly a given , they all try it on to get compo . I thought you had specific grounds :)

My understanding is that they simply 'misinterpreted' exactly what a BOG is when they internally translated certain documentation to Spanish. This left them with a lot of waste material and with no plan to deal with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Edit: But if the M17/18 gets built before the Bypass, then the fun starts. All Dublin, Tuam and Limerick traffic will hit this one roundabout.

While there's no doubt that it should have been freeflow, and it will always be busy, I am now of the opinion that it won't be as bad as I've thought in the past.

I think that after a few days/weeks of use, drivers in the know will either:

A. Get off at junction 19 and turn right to go in via Carnmore, or left to go in via Oranmore.
    B. Not use the motorway (specially commuters) to circumvent this problem.

And even though it'll still be busy, specially in the mornings, these options will reduce the load on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

serfboard wrote: »
    I think that after a few days/weeks of use, drivers in the know will either:

A. Get off at junction 19 and turn right to go in via Carnmore, or left to go in via Oranmore.
    B. Not use the motorway (specially commuters) to circumvent this problem.

And even though it'll still be busy, specially in the mornings, these options will reduce the load on the roundabout.

I don't think that anyone will try getting off at Carnmore more than once, as this road is usually bumper to bumper from Ballybrit to past Carnmore Cross from before 8AM until after 9 AM (and has been that way for about 10 years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Limerick traffic will probably take the M6 to the Galway airport junction and then turn right. Skips a roundabout or two.

Great pictures Nath! I got a few from J19 this morning, may as well post them. Also, have a few from the R348 overbridge South East of Athenry.

Thanks for the pictures KevR, it looks like the M6 along the R348 is at the same stage of development as the section at J19, I wonder is it all like this.

Is it possible to judge the completion time based on when they are laying the wearing courses?

• Advertisement

Lining has been started on one carriageway below the N18 overbridge, the yellow line for the hs is broken and not continuous. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement