Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thats cos its dual carriageway (not motorway) between the Glenascaul bridge at Carnmore and the new roundabout at Doughiska, despite what the blue signs they've put up say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Thats cos its dual carriageway (not motorway) between the Glenascaul bridge at Carnmore and the new roundabout at Doughiska, despite what the blue signs they've put up say ;)

Some waste putting up those blue signs when they need to go down again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

tech2 wrote: »
    Some waste putting up those blue signs when they need to go down again :rolleyes:

Makes a change from putting up green ones in error instead. Unless the person who makes the signs genuinely is colourblind?

Drove back from a roscommon (co.) via ballinasloe today. There was an impressive queue of cars heading through ballinasloe. It must have been at least a 3 mile tailback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Does anyone have any idea when the bridge at Aughrim is supposed to open?

I passed it this morning, looking well but not open,and it will have to soon if they want to meet their targets (4th Jan or Dec 14th depending on who you believe ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

antoobrien wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when the bridge at Aughrim is supposed to open?

I passed it this morning, looking well but not open,and it will have to soon if they want to meet their targets (4th Jan or Dec 14th depending on who you believe ).

Partial opening of the Aughrim bridge late next week I hear with a stop/go in operation. The eastern ramp cannot be completed until traffic is taken off the temporary loop road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

passed by on the n18 overbridge yesterday and it looks impressive.road markings are almost complete both east and westbound.so the last remaining structure to be finished n6 overbridge should be finished at the end of november.early finishing bonus or not.i think the contractors are pushing for a xmas opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Partial opening of the Aughrim bridge late next week I hear with a stop/go in operation. The eastern ramp cannot be completed until traffic is taken off the temporary loop road.

This seems like a stupid way to build this bridge. I haven't seen any other bridge built that a) diverted the road b)but not enough to build the whole bridge.

This seems like a stupid way to build this bridge. I haven't seen any other bridge built that a) diverted the road b)but not enough to build the whole bridge.

In fairness they don't have an awful lot of work to do to tie it back into the existing N6. I can't see it taking more than a day (or two if they're lazy about it)

Have to give the company credit, they were working around the bridge yesterday at 5, so it looks like there's a serious push on to get this open ASAP. The junction around Doughiska is looking well and with this bridge about to open it looks as if they're ready to put on the finishing touches

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Pollboy road bridge opened to traffic over the weekend. Not sure if it's kids mucking about but there seems to be big trouble keeping the cones blocking the old Portumna road on the Hillcrest Park side in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

flazio wrote: »
    The Pollboy road bridge opened to traffic over the weekend. Not sure if it's kids mucking about but there seems to be big trouble keeping the cones blocking the old Portumna road on the Hillcrest Park side in place.

I think its the locals that are living in between the RAB and the motorway. They have been complianing about how they have been left since the slip roads opened and have been threatening protests i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is this whole scheme kerbed? I haven't seen (or maybe haven't noticed) any other large scale motorway projects being kerbed in their entirety.

Why does the jersey barrier stick slavishly to the westbound carriageway edge rather than go down the middle of that wide median section?

It makes no sense from the pics, as the curve means reduced visibility owing to the position of the barrier. I presume it's a future maintenance issue (easier to mow grass with a single lane closure rather than two).

I wonder should they have swung it the other way though, so if they do widen the Westbound carriageway they wouldn't have to demolish the barrier. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 09bored.ie

Interesting to note that this gang didnt prequal for Gort to Tuam PPP. Roadbridge et al would have had this road opened collecting tolls last March:D oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9302-progress-reported-repairs-n6-construction-company
    PROGRESS REPORTED ON REPAIRS BY N6 CONSTRUCTION COMPANY

Wed 28th October 2009
    Progress is being reported on repairs to land and property along the route of the new N6 Dublin to Galway Road.
    The second in a series of meetings was held this afternoon between N6 Construction Company and local public representatives at Lodge Cross, Athenry.
    Senior N6 officials are addressing issues in relation to damage to local roads and property on Section 1 and 2 of the new road, between Doughiska and Carrowkeel.
    The meetings are taking place after major protests were organised over damage to minor roads and farmlands as a result of the construction work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

painting the road markings at Rathmorrisy!:D:D:D

You wouldn't be able to get a few photos of the motorway near Rathmorrissey and upload them would you?

N6 overbridge near Aughrim partially opened today. West bound traffic are going up over the bridge and east bound are still using the temp loop. Stop/go in operation at times depending on the work going on.

Paver crews working on the bridge tonight at 10pm and looked like they were settled in for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Anyone have any openeing dates for any of the next sections?
    Know which section is next - or will it be all the way from Ballinasloe to Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Keedowah wrote: »
    Anyone have any openeing dates for any of the next sections?
    Know which section is next - or will it be all the way from Ballinasloe to Galway?

All the way from Ballinasloe to Galway in one scheme, it's due to be completed in December apparently.

tech2 wrote: »
    All the way from Ballinasloe to Galway in one scheme, it's due to be completed in December apparently.

The official date according to the contractors newsletters is 4th January next year.

Rumor on another thread says that it could be open to Galway City on Dec 14th.

Both directions using the bridge this evening. New slight temp section on the opposite side to the old temp loop. This will allow the ramps to be finished.

• Advertisement

Passed J19 today and am I right in saying that on the Eastbound carriageway it should switch from broken yellow line to continuous yellow immediately after the off-ramp for J19? Surely it has to be motorway immediately after the off-ramp because any traffic not exiting is trapped on the motorway (unless they drive the wrong way up the on-ramp!!).

Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up is because the broken yellow line goes past the off-ramp and up as far as the on-ramp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

On a narrow technicality you are absolutely correct KevR , but it does give broken down cars somewhere to shelter out of the rain and as it is in Galway we will not give out overly about the anomaly . The blue signs a few miles to the west are a far greater anomaly .

Consider it a small kindness :D

Apart from Aughrim, the toll plaza seems to be the last major potential holdup. I know they were targeting sometime in November for a finishing date but has anyone heard/seen anything about how it's progressing?

Chatting to a quarry owner this morning. He's been hauling alot of stuff into the site. He said the site managers in the Athernry site office told him the 15th of December is the target opening date.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Chatting to a quarry owner this morning. He's been hauling alot of stuff into the site. He said the site managers in the Athernry site office told him the 15th of December is the target opening date.

heard something simialr - december 14th from a guy living out by cappataggle (the natives that are blocking the work cos the surrounding roads are in ****)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Haven't seen photos from the Kaiser in a while! What about all those rough, pot-holed areas in your construction site drive videos? Have they all been replaced by almost-finished carriageway? Has signage started to appear yet? I'll be delighted if the M6 is complete by mid-December (it'll then have won the inter-urban race), but I'm very sceptical! The doubting Thomas in me needs to see photographic (or video) evidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

i may be wrong but it seems that there's not a lot of lights on the Ballinasloe junction.they dont even go all the way down the slip going onto the motorway.also as i made my way along to Dublin i noticed a lot of lights don't work.

Furet wrote: »
    Haven't seen photos from the Kaiser in a while! What about all those rough, pot-holed areas in your construction site drive videos? Have they all been replaced by almost-finished carriageway? Has signage started to appear yet? I'll be delighted if the M6 is complete by mid-December (it'll then have won the inter-urban race), but I'm very sceptical! The doubting Thomas in me needs to see photographic (or video) evidence...

I'll try to get some photos of the line painting progress down near the Galway end this weekend.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »

I have my doubts as well. These were taken today from the Pollboy overbridge which opened last week. It's between the J15 and the Suck bridge.

Looking East
    i.php?a=progress-october-2009&i=04112009249.jpg&s=1000

Looking West
    i.php?a=progress-october-2009&i=04112009250.jpg&s=1000

I also added some taken in the last week or two here:
    http://gallery.m6.kaizersoze.net/index.php?album=progress-october-2009

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement