Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

The image was was taken on June 8, 2008 (Date can be seen on Google Earth on the bottom right). Its a Sunday which is why the roads are fairly quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

A farmer around the Ballinasloe area, who has organised some of the protests on the new road, has been arrested for stealing piping from the construction company and selling it on the black market!

Looks like it is pay back time and it is long overdue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Actually, I've just seen that the latest Transport 21 Newsletter included the following statement -

"Over the next few months the motorway programme will continue to deliver new modern roadway across the entire country. By the end of 2009 Kilcullen to Carlow on the N9 will open as well as the Waterford bypass on the N25, N7 Nenagh to Limerick, N9 Waterford to Knocktopher and N6 Galway to Ballinasloe."

It seems to have been issued on 10 August.

The contractors original planned completion date is 4th January 2010, which realistically means before Christmas (therefore 2009) as they wont be around over the new year anyway.

Still, I cant see this being done in the next four months, theres just too much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Because this section goes way offline (nowhere near the current N6), any sectional opening other than the Ballinasloe bypass (one junction) would be more trouble than its worth. I cant see them doing even that unless the current bridge in Ballinasloe collapses completely.

I know this was discussed last week but does anyone have any update on the state of the bridge in Ballinasloe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I drove across it last week, I didn't notice anything obviously wrong on the surface, no long depressions or dents in the surface. I'm assuming the problems are structural or under the arches.

• Advertisement

I drove over it myself a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything obvious, as you said it may be structural problems underneath that are the issue.

I was just curious if there was any developments on this, it would be nice to have the motorway coming around to the west side of B'sloe before the whole B'sloe to Galway stretch opens.

Still, I guess 4 months is not long to wait for the lot to open, it does seem like a big ask to complete it in that timeframe though (by Dec 2009), I can't see it happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Nath wrote: »
    I drove over it myself a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything obvious, as you said it may be structural problems underneath that are the issue.

It has been said in various threads that there are stuctural issues causing potholes to appear on the bridge. Over the "summer" potholes appeared on both sides of the road, somewhere around the middle of the bridge. The last time I crossed the bridge (the weekend before last), it appeared that one of the repairs was starting to come undone (but that could have been me being paranoid).

Given what was happening earlier this year I'm surpised that another pothole hasn't appeared on this bridge, especially given the state of sections of the road between Portiuncula and western town limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

antoobrien wrote: »

... sections of the road between Portiuncula and western town limit.

These surfaces are incredibly bad, undulating and with severe potholes.

churchview wrote: »
    These surfaces are incredibly bad, undulating and with severe potholes.

I didn't take too much notice of this the last time I passed through the town. You should have a drive through Gort town, now thats what I call a disgraceful road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Nath wrote: »
    I was just curious if there was any developments on this, it would be nice to have the motorway coming around to the west side of B'sloe before the whole B'sloe to Galway stretch opens.

This opinion has been expressed before and I agree with it, although as others have said I can't see it happening.

I can see 3 reasons in favour:

1. Will allow traffic to bypass the town.
    2. Will assuage people's concerns about the current suck bridge.

and, most importantly ...

3. Will alleviate the nightmare caused by the horse fair :) (Coming up in October, IIRC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nothing is going to open around Ballinasloe anytime soon gent's.

Current state of the new bridge receiving it's various sealers and coatings...
    i.php?a=suck-bridge-august-2009&i=14082009167.jpg&s=1000

Current state of J15 West Ballinasloe....

i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=10082009163.jpg&s=1000

Looking East
    i.php?a=western-internchange-mackney-j15&i=10082009164.jpg&s=1000

Major work to be done between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Not a hope in hell this scheme is going to be completed in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Good pics cheers

Hmm i guess we have to endure the kip for another while so. I say "we" despite the fact that i go through it not even 4 times per year on average
    :pac:

Its kind of sad because when you look west from junction 14, you almost think that the road is complete from what you can see on the horizon.

tech2 wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell this scheme is going to be completed in 2009.

I've said that time and time again but no body listens to me.:p

Other sections seem to look more advanced probably giving the illusion that the whole scheme is in an equal state.
    you almost think that the road is complete from what you can see on the horizon.

That's only to the untrained eye. :p

Alot of paving work was done between J14 and the river prior to A-B opening but nothing since. It was done purely because of access. The bridge is taking traffic and that section is accessible but it's a long trek for trucks and machinery from the nearest access point in Pollboy. The mainline rough from there is a long way from paving.

The days prior to A-B opening...
    i.php?a=misc&i=16072009150.jpg&s=1000
    i.php?a=misc&i=16072009152.jpg&s=1000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Other sections seem to look more advanced probably giving the illusion that the whole scheme is in an equal state.

And fair play to you, kaizersoze, you answered/dashed people's opinions/hopes in the only way possible - with irrefutable photographic evidence! ("I present to the jury, Exhibit A ...")

I'm guilty of being optimistic myself due to the fact that the only parts of the road I see are at the Galway City end, and in fairness, there is great progress being made around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I thought the same when I saw the video you took of the scheme a few months ago. It seems there will be a tight challenge for the first inter urban to finish: The M9 or M6!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

tech2 wrote: »
    I thought the same when I saw the video you took of the scheme a few months ago. It seems there will be a tight challenge for the first inter urban to finish: The M9 or M6!

Newry already has hqdc/motorway joining it to Dublin and Betty Windsor made Newry a city there a few years ago.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

The over bridge at J19/N18 (Carnmore/Glenascaul) opened during the week. Passed over it this evening, pretty impressive views of the motorway below. You can get a great impression of how things are developing. Will try to get some pics at the weekend (unless someone else beats me to it).

Still have bollards up and some minor things to do like road markings, signage and a little land scaping but everything else looked pretty much finished. Light poles erected and traffic is flowing freely through both roundabouts at either end of the bridge. Was strange driving over it as its a lot higher up then the old road surface was so you get different views of the surrounding countryside.

Whats this about traffic flowing freely somewhere in Galway??? :eek:

Apparently it flows freely at the Moneenagisha junction between the hours of 4am - 5am :D

• Advertisement

Cantilever foundation eastbount at J14
    i.php?a=misc&i=13082009166.jpg&s=1000

Toll Plaza from Cappataggle overbridge....
    i.php?a=toll-plaza-cappataggle&i=25082009175.jpg&s=1000

From Cappataggle local road and beside service road...
    i.php?a=toll-plaza-cappataggle&i=25082009178.jpg&s=1000

Looking East from Cappataggle overbridge...
    i.php?a=toll-plaza-cappataggle&i=25082009177.jpg&s=1000

Central drainage channel...
    i.php?a=toll-plaza-cappataggle&i=25082009176.jpg&s=1000

Meh, free flowing right through as compared to a week ago. Well that is until you reach the lights at Carnmore cross roads half a mile away. Then it all grinds to halt again. But over the bridge? Hey it flows freely for at least 20, 30 seconds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Thanks for the fresh pics Kaizer
    Cantilever foundation eastbount at J14
    - Where is that? Can't find any maps that have the junction numbers listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The over bridge at J19/N18 (Carnmore/Glenascaul) opened during the week. Passed over it this evening, pretty impressive views of the motorway below. You can get a great impression of how things are developing. Will try to get some pics at the weekend (unless someone else beats me to it).

Still have bollards up and some minor things to do like road markings, signage and a little land scaping but everything else looked pretty much finished. Light poles erected and traffic is flowing freely through both roundabouts at either end of the bridge. Was strange driving over it as its a lot higher up then the old road surface was so you get different views of the surrounding countryside.

Thanks for the update! I can't wait to drive over it for the views. Did you notice if they have started bulldozing the old road yet? Would like to see it from the elevated new road before they bulldoze it.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Thanks for the fresh pics Kaizer
    - Where is that? Can't find any maps that have the junction numbers listed.

Junction 14 is the East Ballinasloe junction at Tulrush. It's the junction where you currently have to get off the motorway comming from Athlone.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.3203947544098&lon=-8.15741300582886&zoom=14

KevR wrote: »
    Thanks for the update! I can't wait to drive over it for the views. Did you notice if they have started bulldozing the old road yet? Would like to see it from the elevated new road before they bulldoze it.

Ya they have started removing it, about a 1/4ish roughly of it removed so far as I drove past an hour ago.

Thanks for the pics :D That toll booth looks very small doesnt it.

Some pictures of the J19/N18 junction at Carnmore/Glenascaul and also the Garraun North underbridge.
    You can see the old section of the N18 being demolished looking east from the new N18 overbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Brilliant photos Nath!

I was out around J19 earlier. Got a few pictures but it was getting dark at that stage and so the pictures didn't come out too good because of the poor lighting.

PS - I haven't been out near the Garraun North underbridge in a while. They have made good progress there since my last visit from looking at your photos.

• Advertisement

I've been told that the roadworks for the tie-in at Doughiska is starting this week, there are electronic signs up which confirm it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement