Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why don't not single file or at least give way??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

xz wrote: »
    I never said it was law, and you didnt quote the rest of my post, which would not make me out to be some Philistine as your quotation did.
    If I am overreacting, maybe I have taken up your intention wrong.
    Yep, my post is a clarification and not a riposte.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Dimitri wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but why no emotion?

It's an image thing. At the end of the day, that's all we've got.

kenmc wrote: »
    How so? It's illegal to drive on the hard shoulder.

The hard shoulder is permitted to be used by cyclists. Cars can also use it temporarily.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.html
    This road contains a hard shoulder, which is normally only for pedestrians and cyclists. If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby.

Edit: I see El_Tonto already posted this. I should read the whole thread before posting :)

Raam wrote: »
    The hard shoulder is permitted to be used by cyclists. Cars can also use it temporarily. http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.htmlEdit: I see El_Tonto already posted this. I should read the whole thread before posting :)
    That may be what the RoTR says, but its not law. The law is that you must drive on the road and the road begins to the right of the broken yellow line.

Now, I'm not telling cyclists that they shouldn't ride on the hard shoulder, it's a matter of courtesy towards motorists, and way of avoiding hassle, if they choose to do so. But, it's not a legal obligation, in fact, the opposite is (very technically) true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

baza1976 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Why oh why don't ye people on bikes move over when ye here cars comng behind ye??

ALright, I know you have just enough right to be on the road as anyone .. Which i agree with. But just some respect would be lovely:)

today (not for the first time :mad:) while driving the Newport to Limerick road there were a bunch of people on bikes,at least 8 of them with all the fancy gear :D. Thsi road is a single carriage i.e. one lane each way. They were taking over the entire lane. I waited for tehm to move into single file, nothing happened (i'm right behind them at this stage doing 15 MPH!), then there is a pub on a bend where they could have pulled in with out having to stop and i could have been on my merry way......... but no...... I have my wife and 3 kids in the car so I'm not going to take a chance and over take with on coming traffic.......... Anyway after 10 minutes of looking at their ar##s there was an opening on the road where i had a chance to over take safely.. I'll also point out that there was approx 12 cars waiting behind me...

Do you realise what potenial for an accident this kind of cycling could cause. On this road and others I have come across (many times) 2 people on their bikes cycling 2 abreast !!! why for the sake of a second can one not pull behind another ????

Boo f***ing hoo.

• Advertisement

Now, I'm not telling cyclists that they shouldn't ride on the hard shoulder, it's a matter of courtesy towards motorists, and way of avoiding hassle, if they choose to do so. But, it's not a legal obligation, in fact, the opposite is (very technically) true.

Nor I, although in many instances the hard shoulder is in disrepair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Maybe I'm confusing rules in Britain with rules in Ireland when saying this but I was of the impression that motorists are obliged to allow as much space when overtaking a cyclists as they would if overtaking another car??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Ther is a lot of talk on here about how it is safer for cyclists in groups to cycle two or three abreast to keep other road users from overtaking, as if what they are doing is a carefully thought safety policy. What I mostly see is a group of cyclists who have little consideration for others, and who do not want their training spin cycling chat interrupted by other road users.

Slice wrote: »
    Maybe I'm confusing rules in Britain with rules in Ireland when saying this but I was of the impression that motorists are obliged to allow as much space when overtaking a cyclists as they would if overtaking another car??
    There's no distance specified in the law. Just that you shouldn't overtake if it would cause danger or inconvenience to anyone else.
    kincsem wrote:
    What I mostly see is a group of cyclists who have little consideration for others, and who do not want their training spin cycling chat interrupted by other road users.
    And I see drivers who want to use a lot more space than is necessary for their actual basic human needs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

[QUOTE=unionman;57923535]Boo f***ing hoo.[/QUOTE]

Hope ye cyclists are happy with above comment. Kind of sums up the thoughts of most cyclists on this thread.

Fair dues to unionman straight to the point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kincsem wrote: »
    What I mostly see is a group of cyclists who have little consideration for others, and who do not want their training spin cycling chat interrupted by other road users.

Sigh... Yes, the world over groups of cyclists are taking to the road and telling everyone their riding style is for reasons of practicality and safety, whereas really they just want to have a bit of banter. You, my friend, are the first one to uncover this vast conspiracy. You deserve a medal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hope ye cyclists are happy with above comment. Kind of sums up the thoughts of most cyclists on this thread.

Fair dues to unionman straight to the point.

Troll enters forum. Makes inflamatory post. Members say "I don't agree and here's why". Troll ignores members. One member finally cracks and tells troll to take a running jump. Troll says "see, look how these people behave, you can't have a reasonable discussion with them".

This is tedious beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

el tonto wrote: »

Yes like every other pointless thread that comes up in a Party A -v- Party B in relation to some small cycling point, and ppl with too much time debate the smallest points for no end result.

Chr!st it does become boring to see these threads take up so much of the Cycling Forum.

el tonto wrote: »
    Troll enters forum. Makes inflamatory post. Members say "I don't agree and here's why". Troll ignores members. One member finally cracks and tells troll to take a running jump. Troll says "see, look how these people behave, you can't have a reasonable discussion with them".

Hi El tonto,

I take offense to what you have said above. "troll"??? I didn't make a inflamatory post, i asked a question and gave an example of what happened to me yesterday.

I have not ignored members. Have you even read half this thread?? you will see I have spent a good bit of time on hear today replying to it's members of which i am one!!

Maybe you would like to break down you post and explain it to me?? I wouldn't like to make a liar out of you.

I don't know how many times I have said this today but if my first post offended you and may i add the cycling world I am very sorry.

I'm sorry I asked now..........

72hundred wrote: »
    Yes like every other pointless thread that comes up in a Party A -v- Party B in relation to some small cycling point, and ppl with too much time debate the smallest points for no end result.

Chr!st it does become boring to see these threads take up so much of the Cycling Forum.

Agin I didn't want a part a v party b...... I asked a question.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Dimitri wrote: »
    i've found that a large portion of cyclists and motorist have absolutely no respect for each other nor have they any idea how to handle the situation when they meet each other on the roads. I always make a point of pulling over briefly and allowing a car who is travelling quicker behind me to pass when i feel it is safe to do so and in my experience most lorry, truck and tractor drivers will do the same

Bingo. I totally agree. As a cyclist, my safety comes first, and I'm going to block the road to prevent people from passing me unsafely. But as soon as there's an obvious opportunity to let tail-gater's pass, I'm pulling in. Aside from anything else, the last thing I want behind me is a pissed-off motorist!
    in my experience and i stress that it is only what i've experienced the more professional looking cyclists never show any intention of showing basic courtesy to other road users and allowing them past.
    But it appears to me that the seem to think they owe absolutely no courtesy to other road users simply because they are competitive, which as far as i'm concerned is a load o bollucks.

I have this problem too, as a cyclist. Lycra riders who believe they are going fast, and therefore you wouldn't want to pass them either. It's even worse on offroad cycle-lanes because there's just no room to pass, and no way out. Trying to overtake results in them becoming very competitive for a few minutes before slowing down again. It's really, really, annoying.

The more I cycle, the more I realise that the worst road users (pedestrians aside) are generally cyclists. (Fortunately, however, they're not usually dangerous ;) )

look lads and ladies,

I think I've managed to get my head around why the cyclist wouldn't move over yesterday.

Thanks for everyone who gave an opinion no matter if it was valid or not.

Keep safe on the roads all.

B

I think I've managed to get my head around why the cyclist wouldn't move over yesterday.
    Just one cyclist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi Baza1976

I can appreciate your frustration as I would also be quite frustrated to be behind a group of cyclists on that road. However as a Limerick native I know that road well and its just as common (in fact more!) to get stuck behind a learner driver or another motorist doing 20mph. You just have to wait for a safe opportunity to overtake. If you have enough patience the opportunity will arise and you wont have to put your family and those cyclists at risk with an erratic manouvre (not saying you did :)).

I was cycling with a group on the other side of Limerick who used the same double file system. I cannot comment on the group you saw but if they kept to 2 lines I think this is quite reasonable and indeed safer it also helps the cyclists organise that group better. My own group were constantly communicating, making sure that we followed ROTR. The more experienced guys basically marshalled the group. Every turn, junction, move was signalled etc...

BTW If this group was split into a single file it would take a car double the time to overtake as it would string out to double the distance!

I ask you this. Would you rather be stuck behind a double file, well organised and who are communictaing with each other about what is going on around them? Or would you rather it was a longer single file with less communication between them?

So, I may curse every cyclist, learner driver, oap, cow and horse (it is Limerick after all ;) ) I see on the roads while driving but as long as they are not taking the p!ss, I'll wait for my chance to overtake.

The group you encountered sound like they were just organised rather than taking the p!ss. Best thing to do is take a deep breath and wait for a safe opportunity to arise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Anyone else on for going over to the motoring forum and trolling en masse about motorists blocking our way, for the craic of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Hey Baza

Get a bike and take a 30 minute spin in single file on a country road.
    Possibly in the wind and rain if you can manage

THEN COME BACK TO US

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lots of aggression on this thread.

Feel the love people, it's almost Christmas.

FWIW, I thought the original question was reasonable enough. I've seen proper trolling, and this isn't it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »

FWIW, I thought the original question was reasonable enough. I've seen proper trolling, and this isn't it.
    +1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Needabike wrote: »
    Hey Baza

Get a bike and take a 30 minute spin in single file on a country road.
    Possibly in the wind and rain if you can manage

THEN COME BACK TO US
    I think it was Oscar Wilde who said that the man who sees both sides of an argument sees nothing at all in which case I must be totally blind.
    A bit like Needabike suggests, I was out on my bike last night for a few miles, probably the first time this year in traffic in the dark and on several occasions I found myself automatically drifting wide to prevent traffic from passing where it wasn't safe to do so. I can't believe how oblivious I have become to the lot of the cyclist but that's probably as a result of all the time spent sitting in that metal box I call my office[My Taxi].
    I still think Baza has a point regarding large groups of cyclists making an effort not to hold up vehicular traffic indefinitely but I was made acutely aware last night of just how vulnerable a cyclist is on a busy road.
    Lumen wrote: »

+1 Lumen

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement