Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering where to go with broken external hardrive???

Options
  • 16-11-2008 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

I have a broken external hardrive that i want to transfer all the data from it onto another hardrive but i dont know where in limerick ya would go about doing it i went to MCS technology on parnell street and they couldnt fix it anyone know anywhere else that they had similair problems with and got it sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

mendusa wrote: »
    I have a broken external hardrive that i want to transfer all the data from it onto another hardrive but i dont know where in limerick ya would go about doing it i went to MCS technology on parnell street and they couldnt fix it anyone know anywhere else that they had similair problems with and got it sorted?

depends on what part of it is broken. if its the harddrive itself inside the case, theres places you can send it off to in dublin. If its just the case/cable that the drive is inside, then you could just buy another one in maplins, open the case and swap the drives out. Quite easy to do, all you would need is a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I use a guy in Thomas St, up from Kranks Korner and on the same side, in behind a little cafe (I think?). I find him reasonable price wise and he seems to do a good job. Sorry, can't remember name or contact number, I migh have his card at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

phog wrote: »
    I use a guy in Thomas St, up from Kranks Korner and on the same side, in behind a little cafe (I think?). I find him reasonable price wise and he seems to do a good job. Sorry, can't remember name or contact number, I migh have his card at work.

+1

If he can't fix . it will not be fixed

Microireland 11Thomas St. 061-316433, 061- 405320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pipgazebo

I took my computer to pcmedic on henry st in the moviedrome video shop.
    The lads in there got almost everything off it and copied the files to a new one for only 80 euro. Had the computer back the next day, they
    were brilliant fixed the virus that made the problem. Pc world said I had to wait 6 weeks and a new disk would cost 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Look people I have to say this. DONT EVER GO TO PC WORLD FOR ANYTHING. I seriously mean that the place is a rip off. The sell a 3 euro cable for 34.99 that's how bad they are.

The PC Medic guys are ok. They charge 80 euro no matter what the problem. Handy when something serious happens, but crap if you have a small problem and no PC knowledge.

Anyway, I too would recommend PC Medic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

phill106 wrote: »
    .....if its just the case/cable that the drive is inside, then you could just buy another one in maplins, open the case and swap the drives out........

Or just by an empty case , about £1 on ebay

and yes i know its a zombie thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

snowman707 wrote: »
    +1

If he can't fix . it will not be fixed

Microireland 11Thomas St. 061-316433, 061- 405320

+1 for MicroIreland....

Had a laptop go kaput a few years back and - whatever about any possible delays, which I wouldn't have minded - I just wanted to be sure as quickly as possible that the most recent (un-backed-up) data was still on the drive and that I could get it back.

They rewired the drive power supply there and then to get it working independently and checked it in to put my mind at rest :) I left safe in the knowledge that nothing had been lost.

And they transferred all the data to an external drive before the day was out.

Thoroughly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

if its just the external casing or usb cable thats gone i can transfer the data across to a new disk for you....no charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I broke my external hard drive. I managed to run diags on it and it fixed itself. Of course i took at apart and put it back together again. The computer was picking the HD up but thats all. google the make and model and put whats wrong with it in the google search bar. I fixed it myself anyway for free. If the diags don't fix it it will tell you whats wrong with it.

Advertisement