Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

July 08 Tax Change - better to buy cars reg after July?

Options
  • 16-11-2008 3:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hello all,

Just wanted to get your opinions on this. I moved back to Ireland in March 08 and took my car with me which I imported VRT free as it was my personal car. As you know, I can't sell it until March 09 otherwise I will incur the VRT. However, I do want to upgrade it (at moment its only a 1.2 VW Polo, first car!) but I'm wondering if it would be better to buy a car that has been reg since July 08 to avail of the cheaper tax rates? I know it would be a push financially to buy a relatively new car but would it make more economical sense in the future to choose a model that would attract a cheaper tax? I'm also thinking of a couple of years down the line when I sell it on and its more attractive to buyers if it falls in a cheaper tax bracket. If the July 08 changes were not introduced I would be more than happy with an 06 or 07 model but, again, thinking of the longer term savings. Currently thinking of either a VW Golf or Ford Focus 1.4 or above. What do other posters think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If it's a petrol Corolla or Focus your after you would be better off getting it pre July 2008 as the road tax will be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Cars registered on or after 1st January 2008 now qualify for CO2 based road tax - those registered on or after that date and before 1st July can be taxed on either the old engine size rates or the new CO2 rates - its the owners choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

do you think its a good idea to "push" yourself in order to possibly save a couple of quid in road tax?. would it not be more sensible to buy a proper sized used car with a decent spec that would give you a good level of comfort and safety for a fraction of what it costs to have an "08" plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I reckon you will find a bigger saving on the purchase price of a 07 model at the moment, the savings you make on the purchase price of a 07 model over a 08 of the same car will more than compensate for the additional road tax you have to pay on the 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

245 wrote: »
    Cars registered on or after 1st January 2008 now qualify for CO2 based road tax - those registered on or after that date and before 1st July can be taxed on either the old engine size rates or the new CO2 rates - its the owners choice.

I just brought in a car this morning from the UK, is my car going to work on the old tax band becuase its an 05 but the new VRT rates?

Would I be correct in saying that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You imported a car without even doing any research into this whatsoever?

You're correct in what you say, but plainly crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Well Chris, I know what VRT I`ll be paying within reason until I actually go to the office and see what they hit me for leather interior etc that they don`t publish on the web plus I know because its 05 it will work on the old tax scale but wanted to know do you have a choice between picking the old scale and the new one, I did`nt think you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

245 wrote: »
    Those registered on or after that date and before 1st July can be taxed on either the old engine size rates or the new CO2 rates - its the owners choice.

Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you sure about that?
    I am, if it's cheaper under the CO2-based system then the owner can change at first renewal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you sure about that?

If you have an 08 plate registered pre July, you can qualify for the co2 based tax if it is cheaper for you that way or you can be taxed on the cc based system if that is cheaper. The government are doing this automatically i.e. sending renewal notices with the cheapest form of taxation worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Oh no, i read it wrong. I was thinking if your taz was higher you could put it on the old system. Was getting worried there for a second lol:o If you read 245's post you might see where i'm coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well Chris, I know what VRT I`ll be paying within reason until I actually go to the office and see what they hit me for leather interior etc that they don`t publish on the web plus I know because its 05 it will work on the old tax scale but wanted to know do you have a choice between picking the old scale and the new one, I did`nt think you did?

No choice, pre 2008 imports go on the engine capacity motor tax system. Also afaik they don't extras into account on cars that are older than 3 years old. Maybe someone else can verify this though.

Advertisement