Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question of asthma in the rdf.

Options
  • 16-11-2008 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

hello people.I have a medical for the rdf comeing up in the next few days.I had asthma as a child.ive been told by some people not to mention this to the doctor,however if he does a lung test i dont want to be caught out telling porkies.Do they preform a lung test?would it be best not to mention the asthma thing?can it prevent you from joining?any advice would be greatly appreciated.icon10.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

My friend who joined the Rdf with me had Asthma when he was a child and he did mention it to the medical officer.The officer basically told him as long as it wasn't severe he would be grand.Everything was fine and my friend did three years in the Rdf.This was back in 2004 so maybe it has changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

You should mention it.

So long as it doesn't affect you now it will be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well when I signed up I was told to tick "no" to all the medical questions, which I did. I had pretty bandy knees but I got in and it never effected me.

I do suggest, however, that you mention it to the doc, that you have asthma. If it is severe it might prevent you from getting in. Things are changing and weren't the same 7 or 8 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Really depends on do you suffer with it now and how bad is it? does it dibiltate you? and to what extent you go to manage it? in fairness you should mention it if its an issue for you. At the end of the day its all about your health and safety. Asthma can kill you if an attack is severe enough, or at least drop you like a sack of spuds. I'm sure you know that.

I'd be surprised if there is a "lung test" never heard of one in the RDF although there are many here more qualified to tell you than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭-boris

Thanks for all the replies.It was bad enough when i was a child,however i havebt been useing my inhalers for at least 10 years now and im rarely out of breath during exercise and i think i could attribute thaty nit=re to my level of fitness than asthmaicon11.gif.its ust the c/s said one a of the guys who already did the medical this year failed because he had asthma so he said use your initiative!so i'm kinda in a bit of a fix.has anyone had ythe medical done recently,is there a lung test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i agree with whats being said, if it doesnt affect you, running or doing alot of excersises then you have nothing to hide.
    medicals arent there to discriminate - if it might cause you further hurt/pain then they need to know about it.

m8 went for the rdf and ended up finding out he had a heart murmor !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

-boris wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.It was bad enough when i was a child,however i havebt been useing my inhalers for at least 10 years now and im rarely out of breath during exercise and i think i could attribute thaty nit=re to my level of fitness than asthmaicon11.gif.its ust the c/s said one a of the guys who already did the medical this year failed because he had asthma so he said use your initiative!so i'm kinda in a bit of a fix.has anyone had ythe medical done recently,is there a lung test?

listen, its as simple as this...if you really want to get into the RDF say nothing about it, if you can run and it doesnt effect your physical performance then dont even mention it, theres nothing to worry about.

from personal experience, that is the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

king-stew wrote: »
    listen, its as simple as this...if you really want to get into the RDF say nothing about it, if you can run and it doesnt effect your physical performance then dont even mention it, theres nothing to worry about.

from personal experience, that is the bottom line.

Stew is right. Say nothing about asthma especially if you're in the 4 W Bde area. I know lots who lost out on joining!!

I had the medical on friday.I didnt mention the asthma and everything was ok.i mean its not like the rdf camps are lile 10k runs and sets upon sets of push ups,is it? icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

-boris wrote: »
    I had the medical on friday.I didnt mention the asthma and everything was ok.i mean its not like the rdf camps are lile 10k runs and sets upon sets of push ups,is it? icon10.gif

No they are not. But, maybe you should look into doing it yourself. It will be a major help if you do any sort of Infantry training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

A basic level of fitness will only stand to you in the RDF. Quite easy and can be good fun. Just in
    the door from a bit of a jog myself.

Oh congratulations on passing the medical. You might share your experience with some of the
    others here who are waiting for one or who are contemplating joining the RDF and are a bit unsure
    about said medical.

iceage wrote: »
    A basic level of fitness will only stand to you in the RDF. Quite easy and can be good fun. Just in
    the door from a bit of a jog myself.

Oh congratulations on passing the medical. You might share your experience with some of the
    others here who are waiting for one or who are contemplating joining the RDF and are a bit unsure
    about said medical.

Thank youicon10.gif.Sure,no problem.If anyone whats any details on the enlistment process or the medical i'd b e happy to help,just say the wordicon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I like the bit in the medical where you pee on a stick and you have to leg it to the medic for him to look at it!:D

I like the bit in the medical where you pee on a stick and you have to leg it to the medic for him to look at it!:D

its alot better to try to hand it to one of them just to see the look on their face... do you seriouls think im going to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

samhail wrote: »
    its alot better to try to hand it to one of them just to see the look on their face... do you seriouls think im going to take it.

The stick they give you or your 'own' one?:p

your own one of course :)

we had to piss in a test tube!and by god those things are narrow!icon11.gif

Advertisement