Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Crap - Topshop Have Some Euro Conversion Rate!!!!!

Options
  • 16-11-2008 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Topshop with the missus a while back and she took a fancy to this bag. I snuck off today and went and got it for her. At the till the girl asked for €38 which I thought was a bit much but what the hell do I know. As a matter of interest I checked out how much the bag was on the UK website and it's £25 which works out at just under €30 using the latest rate.

So that's over €8 more I paid Topshop for absolutely nothing. That seems fairly scandelous. I'm almost tempted to go in and ask them how they justify charging the irish consumer so much more but I'm sure very little would come of it. Does this amount seem right? Can it really be that high on a single small item? I can only shudder to think if you were buying many items in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Don't we have higher VAT over here? And higher minimum wages? Basically it's more expensive to do business here and customers have more money, supply and demand...etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Don't we have higher VAT over here? And higher minimum wages? Basically it's more expensive to do business here and customers have more money, supply and demand...etc etc...

Certainly we have a higher Vat rate, I think the UK is 17% and we are 21% but an €8 difference on a small item seems pretty inexcusable. What must it be like on more expensive items such as dresses or boots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They will say that the exchange rate was fixed a while ago and they have higher overheads in Ireland.

I'm sure it's just profiteering but they're not gonna admit to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

different country equals different price. The price in Ireland will be based on Irish Market conditions so can you call it profiteering? All they are doing is making the maximun return on their investment for the shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

everytime on come on there's a new thread about this and the answer remains the same. YES, we are being ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Topman/Topshop are undoubtably one of the guiltiest parties for the 'marking up' stuff, but they're far from alone. I think even when you take different economic situations into account between the Republic of Ireland and the UK/Northern Ireland, its still impossible to justify the price difference.

Best tip is a bus trip to Norn Iron.

Loads of Irish shops are pulling a fast one. Best is a prime example. They charge 65 YoYos for a Fred Perry poloshirt, when they retail for 40 of the Queens finest pounds.

40 pounds converted over?
    At the minute its only 47 euro :pac:

I'm guilty of shopping in Topman etc. despite the sh!te rates because I live in Palmerstown and I can literally walk to Liffey Valley in 15 or 20 minutes, but when I've the time I make the trip up North. We can't give out about the rip off and fund it too.

**As for giving out about it, email the suits at the company.
    Dont walk into topman/topshop and give out....
    As a student worker (albeit in a pub, but prole work is all the same!) I can only imagine how horrible that'd be to deal with. 'Tis not their fault, even the boss(wo)man at the branch. Just doing a job, and most of them lose their wages in the same way you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Its always been like that. Its crap I know

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Pythia wrote: »
    They will say that the exchange rate was fixed a while ago and they have higher overheads in Ireland.

I'm sure it's just profiteering but they're not gonna admit to it.

+1

Worked for a high-street department store for around 4 years, this is the excuse they generally rolled out when questioned on this...

Believe me, going in and letting off steam to a sales assistant / manager will not get you any satisfactory response on the issue. Its blatantly a markup on the price, and is common amongst almost all retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I believe they're getting better though, I was in Topshop today I noticed that on a few of the things I tried on there were little stickers placed over the euro price with a new price on them.
    I took one of the stickers off the check and the new price was €3 cheaper than the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

KateF wrote: »
    Its always been like that. Its crap I know

It hasn't, I know because I've a hawkeye for conversion rates and ALWAYS check. Tesco won't release figures about the percentage of its profit derived from the Irish branches compared with the percentage of the company made up by the Irish branches. I wonder why?

One thing I saw lately - the sterling price cut off. I walked straight out of the shop. If you continue to shop, you make it acceptable for them to do that. Lesson is, stop being ripped off or you deserve it. There are plenty of shops out there that aren't ripping you off.

The excuse they will give if you ask them, is that they purchase all their euro currency at one time (or two at most) during the year and as such, can't bring down the price they're retailing at in eurozones because they paid a higher price for the euro to begin with. When I quoted actual figures, they hung up. I've noticed lately that a lot of shops ARE beginning to drop the euro price - they'll have to if people keep refusing to be ripped off. So keep refusing to buy until the euro price is in line with the sterling price (exchanged at current rate). Oh and there have been a number of strange "10% sales" on in the last 6 months that can't be just attributed to market slow down - aided but not caused by. And in fairness to them - tesco are one of those companies. (Although it still doesn't explain why they won't release such a simple figure).

THe real question here is - where the hell is the consumner watch dog/ombudsman/whoever is paid to deal with this kinda thing in the whole debacle?! Irish people are awful doormats at times...

It hasn't, I know because I've a hawkeye for conversion rates and ALWAYS check.
    Well it definitely has been that way for as long as I've been living in Scotland, which is coming on 5 years now. Especially in shops like Topshop because its one of my favourite shops so its something I've always noticed on trips back home, I remember because it was such a shock to me in my first year here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

do u guys really expect them to drop the price of everything just because the exchange rate changed? they're selling their products in euro not pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Saw a dress in Monsoon today, 200 pounds or 310 euro. At today's exchange rate 200 pounds is 233 euro. Where does the extra 80 or so come from? Costs and VAT aren't that high!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

It's a disgrace alright. I live in Glasgow and my family often send me a list of stuff they want before I come over, so I can buy it at a proper price for them.

Most shops stuck on a 50% mark up when they entered the Irish market and have simply kept it.
    Whatever happened to that court case that was supposedly going against Tesco for it?
    Not heard anything about it in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I was in Topshop with the missus a while back and she took a fancy to this bag. I snuck off today and went and got it for her. At the till the girl asked for €38 which I thought was a bit much but what the hell do I know. As a matter of interest I checked out how much the bag was on the UK website and it's £25 which works out at just under €30 using the latest rate.

So that's over €8 more I paid Topshop for absolutely nothing. That seems fairly scandelous. I'm almost tempted to go in and ask them how they justify charging the irish consumer so much more but I'm sure very little would come of it. Does this amount seem right? Can it really be that high on a single small item? I can only shudder to think if you were buying many items in there.

YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!

Shops put prices at what people will pay, i'm so sick of people buying something then bitching about the prices. Rip off Ireland, more like Stupid Fook Ireland

YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!

Shops put prices at what people will pay, i'm so sick of people buying something then bitching about the prices. Rip off Ireland, more like Stupid Fook Ireland

On this occasion no I am not the problem. I bought the bag for her unaware of how much it was in sterling. She liked it, I picked it up and it was only BY CHANCE thinking about it afterwards that I discovered there was such a difference.

As a result of having checked it BY CHANCE I can assure you I will not be buying anything for her or myself in a store that has such a high difference between sterling and euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Just shop online and pay in Sterling (after you have tried on the stuff in a shop here :) ) You will still save money even with delivery charges added on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

rite a letr 2 dem!!!

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    rite a letr 2 dem!!!

You know I have been thinking about that. No point in complaining about it on the net and not doing anything about it and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Milo98

Certainly we have a higher Vat rate, I think the UK is 17% and we are 21% but an €8 difference on a small item seems pretty inexcusable. What must it be like on more expensive items such as dresses or boots etc.

I used to work for an english concession (like TS but a competitor) Basically biggest diff with price differences is VAT. In the UK its only 12.5% on clothing here its 21%. Obviously wages are bigger here too & if I remember correctly (its going back a while so not 100% sure on it) we have a higher level of insurance on wages or something (I'm a bit vague here). As well as higher public liability insurance.
    Its not very transperent why there is a difference in prices because its a combination of factors & most shop staff wont have a clue why but a lot more goes into it than daily exchange rates.
    If you want to buy something at today's exchange rate shop on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

God forbid a company tries to make as much money as it can.

Sangre wrote: »
    God forbid a company tries to make as much money as it can.

Of course it's in the interest of a company to make money but blatantly ripping people off is another thing. It shows bad business ethics and a lack of appreciation of your customers.

Of course it's in the interest of a company to make money but blatantly ripping people off is another thing. It shows bad business ethics and a lack of appreciation of your customers.
    Here here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The prices are set far, far in advance. No company could afford to adjust their prices to suit the exchange rate on even a monthly basis...

I live in Edinburgh and McDonalds is a lot cheaper here - do you hear me complaining when I go home to Ireland?

Just use topshop.com, they ship to Ireland for £5, you can use your NUS student card on there for a 10% discount, and you will benefit as you will be paying in sterling...

Also there's a better range online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

The "dearer to do business here" pony has been trotted out here for years without anyone ever mentioning the fact that we have cheaper fuel costs and way lower corporation tax. We are being ripped off pure and simple. I was in Newry last Thursday and the choice was simple........

Pay €60 for a PS3 game or £39.99 which equates to around €43. Thats a 33% difference in sticker price on one item. Sterling has not been 33% higher in over a year.

I seen one jewellery shop offering 90p to the euro in the Quays centre and he was happily making a profit.

On this occasion no I am not the problem. I bought the bag for her unaware of how much it was in sterling. She liked it, I picked it up and it was only BY CHANCE thinking about it afterwards that I discovered there was such a difference.

As a result of having checked it BY CHANCE I can assure you I will not be buying anything for her or myself in a store that has such a high difference between sterling and euro.

I see

You know I have been thinking about that. No point in complaining about it on the net and not doing anything about it and all that.

They won't care, they can set prices at whatever they want. Its up to the customers if they pay the price or not. Obviously most of Ireland does, or else we;d see a huge drop in prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Topman are just as bad. I got a pair of jeans for £40 in Newry last month. My friend got them up in Blanchardstown SC for €60

Advertisement