Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Crap - Topshop Have Some Euro Conversion Rate!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

creggy wrote: »
    Topman are just as bad. I got a pair of jeans for £40 in Newry last month. My friend got them up in Blanchardstown SC for €60
    Well they're the same shop silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Milo98 wrote: »
    I used to work for an english concession (like TS but a competitor) Basically biggest diff with price differences is VAT. In the UK its only 12.5% on clothing here its 21%. Obviously wages are bigger here too & if I remember correctly (its going back a while so not 100% sure on it) we have a higher level of insurance on wages or something (I'm a bit vague here). As well as higher public liability insurance.
    Its not very transperent why there is a difference in prices because its a combination of factors & most shop staff wont have a clue why but a lot more goes into it than daily exchange rates.

Well cheaper fuel and corporation tax in Ireland has been mentioned already, but theres also the fact that there's usually a far higher number of these fashion outlets in the uk than in ireland. Eg there are only 16 top shop outlets in Ireland, while there are 185 in the uk. Individually, the shops in Ireland may be more expensive to run (although the largest fashion store in the world is a topshop in Oxford street, I'd say that costs a pretty penny to run and rent), but overall, running the costs of a few Irish topshops are going to be a lot less than the costs of running nearly 200 in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Well cheaper fuel and corporation tax in Ireland has been mentioned already, but theres also the fact that there's usually a far higher number of these fashion outlets in the uk than in ireland. Eg there are only 16 top shop outlets in Ireland, while there are 185 in the uk. Individually, the shops in Ireland may be more expensive to run (although the largest fashion store in the world is a topshop in Oxford street, I'd say that costs a pretty penny to run and rent), but overall, running the costs of a few Irish topshops are going to be a lot less than the costs of running nearly 200 in the uk.

thats true but you think the UK stores are making about the same money as irish stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

thats true but you think the UK stores are making about the same money as irish stores?

I dont know, I cant find any info on the profit margins of Irish vs Uk stores, although, it certainly seems that they are pricing that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Meh tbh. Free market in action. If you don't like the price take your euros elsewhere.

I don't blame topshop/arcadia for this in the least. They are in business to make money.

• Advertisement

Meh tbh. Free market in action. If you don't like the price take your euros elsewhere.

I don't blame topshop/arcadia for this in the least. They are in business to make money.

werd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is the same with all of the Arcadia group which is top shop, topman, dorthy perkins and evans.
    They will site higher over heads of rent, esb, wages, vat and the expense of importing goods
    that bit further from the UK to here for the reasons in the price difference.

When the euro came in Uk retail chains rushed to set up shops here and will use what they take in in euros to pay
    towards buying goods in euros rather then pay all of the foreign exchange cost they would incur other wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Had the same thing in Debanums(spelling please) in the north last week. For example this big box of sweets(really big)was £15, however the euro conversion was at 25e, almost double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It is the same with all of the Arcadia group which is top shop, topman, dorthy perkins and evans.
    They will site higher over heads of rent, esb, wages, vat and the expense of importing goods
    that bit further from the UK to here for the reasons in the price difference.

When the euro came in Uk retail chains rushed to set up shops here and will use what they take in in euros to pay
    towards buying goods in euros rather then pay all of the foreign exchange cost they would incur other wise.
    Hmm thats very cunning of them! Smart business moves. Still sucks when shopping in Ireland though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Basically...

Newry or STFU.

Going up there Friday, going to buy like there's no tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I see

Why should I have been aware of such a difference? My shopping consists of going to Tescos or buying the occasional thing from the net. I do very little clothes shopping. I only became aware of such a difference after buying the bag for my other half.

Were I female and used to shopping every day :p then yes of course I should be aware of the prices and hence not shopping somewhere that has such a huge difference in their sterling/euro prices.

But to imply I should automatically be aware of the sterling/euro hit is silly and unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Should also consider that since the recession, our VAT rate has increased to cover government spending and discourage the average Irish consumer from putting more money back into the economy.

Where as the UK government have lowered the VAT rate from 17%-15% to encourage more consumer spending to prop up their economy.

Just something to think about but its heading into a different topic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I have zero sympathy for people who get ripped off by Irish retailers. They would have to lower their prices if more people didnt buy from the and went elsewhere.

Everyone knows the savings that can be made by shopping online/uk/usa so if you pay over the odds its tough sh1te in my book.

Why should I have been aware of such a difference? My shopping consists of going to Tescos or buying the occasional thing from the net. I do very little clothes shopping. I only became aware of such a difference after buying the bag for my other half.

Were I female and used to shopping every day :p then yes of course I should be aware of the prices and hence not shopping somewhere that has such a huge difference in their sterling/euro prices.

But to imply I should automatically be aware of the sterling/euro hit is silly and unfair.

I'm saying you should be aware of the price you're paying before you buy something, and if you're not then you don't really have the right to complain about it

I'm saying you should be aware of the price you're paying before you buy something, and if you're not then you don't really have the right to complain about it

Would you get off of your high horse. If it was something I bought reguarly fair enough. Why the hell would I be question buying a handbag for the lady, how the hell am I supposed to know what it should/shouldn't cost.

Do you buy much ladies fashions FI?

Would you get off of your high horse. If it was something I bought reguarly fair enough. Why the hell would I be question buying a handbag for the lady, how the hell am I supposed to know what it should/shouldn't cost.

Do you buy much ladies fashions FI?

Ye all the time :pac:

I'm not trying to be a dick but the reason Ireland is such a rip off is because people buy **** and then just complain about the price later, all you have to do is look at the "consumer issues" subforum here at boards. Most threads there are not really about consumer issues they're mainly about someone buying something then complaining about how Ireland is such a rip off.

Ye all the time :pac:

I'm not trying to be a dick but the reason Ireland is such a rip off is because people buy **** and then just complain about the price later, all you have to do is look at the "consumer issues" subforum here at boards. Most threads there are not really about consumer issues they're mainly about someone buying something then complaining about how Ireland is such a rip off.

Fair enough I'm glad you said that. I appreciate that you get annoyed about folk complaining about the prices but then go and shop there again. I won't be complaining about this in the future because........ I won't shop there again and I'll mention to the misses that she shouldn't either.

In fairness I can't have been expected to know about something I'm so unfamilar with....... ladies fashions it's a whole minefield, so go easy on the next poor unsucpecting sap who falls victim! :D

Fair enough I'm glad you said that. I appreciate that you get annoyed about folk complaining about the prices but then go and shop there again. I won't be complaining about this in the future because........ I won't shop there again and I'll mention to the misses that she shouldn't either.

In fairness I can't have been expected to know about something I'm so unfamilar with....... ladies fashions it's a whole minefield, so go easy on the next poor unsucpecting sap who falls victim! :D

Maybe you should call over and and we'll have a fashion show :D

As great as that sounds she'd probably come over all jealous! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Hmmm.....no one else seems to share my sentiments.....I think Oasis are one of THE ABSOLUTE WORST for this! Refuse to go in there anymore after a few shocking conversion experiments on my trusty calculator a few months ago.

• Advertisement

As great as that sounds she'd probably come over all jealous! :o

ah right, sure we'll leave it for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

All the UK shops are as bad as each other, Monsoon, Debenhams, Oasis, M&S, Arcadia group, they are all ripping us off. I don't think it's fair to say "if you don't like it don't buy it" it's a poor thing that you can't go shopping in a Saturday and actually buy something. The whole idea of trying stuff on and then buying it online seems to take the fun out of shopping tbh.

I would think it won't be long before the government do something about this, my sister was in Newry last weekend and said you'd think it was Christmas week it was so busy - all 'D' reg cars. I think the government will have to take action as they are losing a phenomenal amount in VAT revenue.

BTW don't bother writing them a letter, I emailed Monsoon about a particularly crazy conversion (£12 flipflops = €20!) and all I got back was a stock reply about wage rates etc. The fact is the lower transport costs and corporation tax negates this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

ncmc wrote: »
    I would think it won't be long before the government do something about this, my sister was in Newry last weekend and said you'd think it was Christmas week it was so busy - all 'D' reg cars. I think the government will have to take action as they are losing a phenomenal amount in VAT revenue.

Totally agree with this. I was up there on Sunday and it was so so busy and full of ROI reg cars. I went into Sainsbury's and the queue was down the aisles for all checkouts, they even take Laser now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lauramcp

went into oasis to buy a leather jacket the other day, the sales assistant was very helpful, and told me that if i bought look magazine in the corner shop i would get 20% off the €200 it would cost, but is was the last day of it.... i told her to put it on hold, went to college and checked it out online, the website told you the promo code to enter for the 20% off, and i bought it online for £112 inc p+p as apposed to €160!! good €30 saving and only have to wait 2 days for it... it really is crazy!! doing all my shopping online from now.... try on in the shop, buy on website

:rolleyes: no thanks
    ncmc wrote: »
    All the UK shops are as bad as each other, Monsoon, Debenhams, Oasis, M&S, Arcadia group, they are all ripping us off. I don't think it's fair to say "if you don't like it don't buy it" it's a poor thing that you can't go shopping in a Saturday and actually buy something. The whole idea of trying stuff on and then buying it online seems to take the fun out of shopping tbh.

BTW don't bother writing them a letter, I emailed Monsoon about a particularly crazy conversion (£12 flipflops = €20!) and all I got back was a stock reply about wage rates etc. The fact is the lower transport costs and corporation tax negates this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Have another example. I was looking at shoes in Barratts in Belfast on saturday. They costed 45 pounds, which in euro is 56 but in Dublin they cost 75 euro!! Even with VAT and so on, I don't think there's an excuse for that much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ehraz

If you think the sterling conversion rate is bad you should go have a look in muji in Dublin.
    I had just come back from Japan a couple of years ago. Muji was great for things like nice simple plain photo albums so wanted to get another when I came back home. I went into Muji, found one I liked which was €40 or so. Turned it over and saw the yen price was 2500円. Which is currently about €22, but at the time the euro was much stronger, so it would have been even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Image

Topshop have to display both currencies as they are a UK company and the exchange rate is that at the time of print & manufacturing.

Not a whole lot that we consumers can do but grin and bear or wait for the sales.

Shirley

www.personalstylist.ie

Advertisement