Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will I ever see it ?

• 16-11-2008 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Ok, I am 36 later this week,

will I ever see Ireland beat New Zealand in my lifetime ?

I live in hope rather than expectation.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Kinda freaky - I was thinking the same thing this morning as well.

On the basis of how regularly (in terms of years) we play New Zealand I expect to see it but I'm not too optimistic it will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Its been 103 years and it could easily be another 103 years. They're more physical, more aggressive (in attack and defence), they're basic skills are infinitely better than ours and (this one is the worse) they simply want it more than we do. All of the above have been the staus quo for an age now and I for one can't see it changing anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

as long as the All Blacks get to pick the best players from the Pacific Islands and New Zealand then probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

As soon as your born in NZ Your handed a rugby ball It's not quite the same up here! One of the girls i play rugby with is a Kiwi and she is a savage player It's just a different way of life in NZ !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Same age as OP, and the short answer to your question is alas, no..(although I reckon our RL ream would run theirs close!)...

The problem is psychological, we've generally lost the game in our heads before the first ball is kicked. We lack the toughness which the Aussies or the Boks have and which allows them to occasionally put one over the blacks...

The Aussies are masters of cultivating a tough mental edge, and in adversity there's no team like them, They seem to be able to rise above their obvious and oft-debated shortcomings and beat all comers and constantly win games they've absolutely no right to win..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

It will have to happen eventually . . . I hope

I hope I'm there when it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭NDM

sadly no, they are just a completely awesome side..always have been always will..its a religion for them down there..its what every young guy does from childhood in nz is play rugby..they live and breath it and thus reap the benefits from it
    only the french fly the flag for the northern hemisphere for teams who can match new zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

NDM wrote: »
    sadly no, they are just a completely awesome side..always have been always will..its a religion for them down there..its what every young guy does from childhood in nz is play rugby..they live and breath it and thus reap the benefits from it
    only the french fly the flag for the northern hemisphere for teams who can match new zealand
    If Armagh can win an All Ireland, Kilkenny beat Blackrock College and Argentina beat the hosts of a world cup twice, of course we could. They weren't that good yesterday and could have been beaten. We were useless.

We've also been close to beating them on a number of occasions. More specifically, the last three times we played them away from home.

The annoying thing about this Irish team, is we have had a good enough team to beat them at least once and we never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭NDM

i will agree thoroughly that nz were not even that good yesterday but fact is we never even posed a threat to them..ye weve come close a couple times to beating them but fact is we never will..id give anything to see it but will never happen in our lifetime..none of our big name players stood up on the day
    tim robbins armagh won an all ireland cause they throughly deserved to and the argies are a great team that play a very simple game plan that is very effective..the fact they bet world cup hosts twice means they fully deserved to, they were simply better
    playing nz a team needs to be psycologically tough and i dont think we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

i will agree thoroughly that nz were not even that good yesterday but fact is we never even posed a threat to them..ye weve come close a couple times to beating them but fact is we never will..

I certainly dont think its a fact. I think if we could get them in a world Cup QF id cut our odds in a big way. We can and will beat them soon i think. First time we play them in the new landsdowne road perhaps. We have problems but the are all fixable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

I think we will beat them in the next couple of years. I defo think that we had a good chance on Sat, and with the delay in awarding the penalty try you could feel the atmosphere leaving Croke Park. The players feel that. The heads dropped then. (not very professional)

However, as was previously stated, Kiwi handling, ball control, use of the ball, getting to the breakdown, holding possesion and the list goes on and on was superior to Ireland on Sat.
    Did we manage any 4 phase play? I think it was turned over after two in the majority of cases. So a lot done - a lot more to do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

i will agree thoroughly that nz were not even that good yesterday but fact is we never even posed a threat to them..ye weve come close a couple times to beating them but fact is we never will..id give anything to see it but will never happen in our lifetime..none of our big name players stood up on the day
    tim robbins armagh won an all ireland cause they throughly deserved to and the argies are a great team that play a very simple game plan that is very effective..the fact they bet world cup hosts twice means they fully deserved to, they were simply better
    playing nz a team needs to be psycologically tough and i dont think we are
    The point being that Armagh didn't have the playing numbers, Argentina didn't have the set up. Of course Ireland could beat the All Blacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

jprender wrote: »
    Ok, I am 36 later this week,

will I ever see Ireland beat New Zealand in my lifetime ?

Get in line :D ! I was at the game in 1978 and have being waiting ever since. When they went close in 1992, I was in the USA on holiday and never got to see any footage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

rugby is the dominant religon in new zealand where as its just a minor sport here , we shouldnt be too hard on ourselves or expect so much when it comes to playing the all blacks

Advertisement