Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband and Rapidshare flashget

Options
  • 16-11-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all

I have eircome braodband 2mb and am using Flashget to download.... Now the problem is that with a 2mb line the highest download rate i am getting is 300kb per second... I know this cant be right and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

ravon1981 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have eircome braodband 2mb and am using Flashget to download.... Now the problem is that with a 2mb line the highest download rate i am getting is 300kb per second... I know this cant be right and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on it.

That speed is the equivelant of a 3Mb connection. Perhaps you didnt know about the Eircom upgrades? There is posts everywhere about this.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

go to 192.168.1.254 in your Brouser screen

login
    check there what your Upload/download speeds are
    eg 7616/512 would be 7.5mb down, .5mb up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Ye olde bits and bytes confusion rears it ugly head again.

Then again if it is 300kb instead of 300KB there is definitely a problem and the OP is only pulling under one sixth of his advertised speed.

Go to www.speedtest.net to clear up the confusion. Plus if you are using Rapidshare free you will never see your connection utilised to its full potential. Try the newest Ubuntu from the Heanet fibre core that will test your connection!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ravon1981

ok guys tested it and it is coming back at 1.72mb download and 242kb upload....

This still does not explain the problem that when downloading it will only max at 333KB/s which is just above modem speed. The speed just between this and 25.6KB/s every second and wonder what is causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

How long does it take to download large files from another source? Something that isn't rapid share.

If you've done the test on http://www.speedtest.net/ do it again but at the end of it you'll see your results and a section that says share your results. Copy out the forum one and post it here so we can have a look :)

It should look something like this.
    357939249.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ravon1981 wrote: »
    ok guys tested it and it is coming back at 1.72mb download and 242kb upload....

This still does not explain the problem that when downloading it will only max at 333KB/s which is just above modem speed. The speed just between this and 25.6KB/s every second and wonder what is causing it

I'm confused. Are you saying 333KBps is 333K Bytes per second, or 333K bits per second? If you download speed is measuring 1.72Mbps on speedtest.net, that's good for a 2Mbps line, as you won't actually get 2Mbps out of it. Flashget should be reporting speeds of about 215kBps (kBytes) for a 1.72Mbps line. If it's saying you have 333KBps (again kBytes), that would mean your line speed is almost 2.7Mbps (Mbits), which would be about right for a 3Mbps line.

Check your modem to see what the Sync speed is, 2Mbps would read 2048/256. If you have always been on 2Mbps, then you should have been recently upgraded to 3Mbps for free, and the Sync should read 3072/384.

Advertisement