Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice please

Options
  • 16-11-2008 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

The brother was in a crash last night. Some guy broke a redlight, hit him and took off again. There is not much damage and noone was injured. The guards said they would keep an eye out for the other car but not to hold his breath.

Now for my questions. I know there is a fund that insurance companies pay into for this type of thing, but a) How do you make a claim and b) Is it difficult?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

There is a fund called the MIBI which all insurance companies have to pay into. I myself was hit by an uninsured driver and had the cost of repairs minus the excess payed by this fund. Get your brother to contact his insurance company, they will pay for any damage and claim back from the MIBI. If succesful, it shouldn't affect his no claims. For the MIBI to pay out, you need a Garda report.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Thanks. Just out of interest how long did your claim take to be processed? Also since the other driver failed to stop will this be an issue as we dont know if he had insurance or not

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

The whole process was very quick, about two weeks if I remember, but this was because the Garda got the report into their system fairly fast. I don't see there being an issue with a hit and run aslong as the Garda see it that way....did your brother have any witnesses? this would help.

Update: So he phoned MIBI today and they are refusing to deal with it as we dont have the reg number of the other. There are 9 witnesses and the guards agree that its a hit and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

d3mon24 wrote: »
    Update: So he phoned MIBI today and they are refusing to deal with it as we dont have the reg number of the other.

If the other car isn't identified the MIBI will cover injury claims but they will not cover damage to your car.

It cuts out abuse.
    Otherwise I could crash my car, claim another driver ran me off the road and ask the MIBI to sort out the claim, preserving my NCB.

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    If the other car isn't identified the MIBI will cover injury claims but they will not cover damage to your car.

It cuts out abuse.
    Otherwise I could crash my car, claim another driver ran me off the road and ask the MIBI to sort out the claim, preserving my NCB.

I understand that but there are 9 witnesess. Just got a call from a petrol station in the area. They picked up the crash on CCTV but no reg because of the angle of the camera. Anyone think this will help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

The MIBI may be seen as the last resort for getting your money back. They will make sure you have exhausted all other angles first.

In your case though, once you can get your hands on a copy of the Garda report, your insurance company should take care of things.

mvpr wrote: »
    The MIBI may be seen as the last resort for getting your money back. They will make sure you have exhausted all other angles first.

In your case though, once you can get your hands on a copy of the Garda report, your insurance company should take care of things.

He only has 3rd party so Quinn said its nothing to do with them.

Gonna drive around to look for the other car tomorrow.

Advertisement