Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for free livery

Options
  • 16-11-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Have recently come accross an offer of free full livery in return for weekend work. Very nice yard not too busy lovely facilities. They want sat and sun 8-5 with every fifth weekend off. Would have to work alone some days so needs alot of experience and competence.

Yard charges 140 @ week and would waive the livery fee and all expenses except veterinary bills but everything else free.

I'm just curious. Is that the kind of thing thats a good deal. I've a niece thinking it over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Personally i wouldnt go for it. I've seen it before in yards i've dealt with in the past. having to work sats sundays is a very big commitment not to mention a huge responsibilty, esp if something goes wrong - and if you're going to be alone the odd weekend, then thats added pressure. How much time would you have with your own horse at weekends if you're working for the yard itself and if you wish to compete sat/sun will you miss out cos you have to work? I'm sorry if i'm not explaining it too well, its just unless you have a very good relationship with the yard owner, you can be at their mercy really, from what i've seen. I'm not saying that'll be the same in your case though, but when you're tied to working for them and other people's horses it can get messy and you'd need to have a thick skin on you. But, i'm not saying don't go for it, for me i know it wouldnt work, but thats just me and what i've seen from other people who've tried it and from what i saw, i was rather glad that i was paying my livery money rather than working my socks off to look after other people's horses. Maybe give it a trial run for a month or 2 and see how it works out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Thanks MDFM you're always logical. All that is very true. She doesn't compete presently as her horse is a baby and they are very happy for her to work him during work but I hear you loud and clear.

Advertisement