Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

charger

Options
  • 16-11-2008 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey guys
    How much does it cost to have a cigarette lighter / charger put into my car? Need it for sat nav etc. Would i do it myself or would i need a garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Does the car have a cigarette lighter socket, or do you need one put in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CK909

It has a place for one, it was covered up. the inside looks hollow

anyone?

Do you mean that the actual cigarette lighter is missing but the metal hole where you put it is there?

No, theres just a hole in the car thats covered up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Is it a Corsa B ???

yes it is! 97 1litre.

Ok its a Corsa City I presume I'd one minus the cig lighter as well and wired mine up. Easy enough done

Get a Fuse Tap like below:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/FUSE_TAP_ATC_SPADE_LARGE_p_2095.html

or http://www.accessafuse.com

Use an existing or blank fuse slot thats live (You can check witha (I used the AC one that was blank but live in my car as I've no AC)

All you need then is a bit or wire red and black and bolt the ground wire to a ground point or a bit of metal on the cars body.

Oh and buy a cig lighter socket available at any motor factors for a tenner you need a couple of spade connectors as well

How easy is that for the, eh, less technical of us?

CK909 wrote: »
    How easy is that for the, eh, less technical of us?

Pretty easy but only easy if you know how lol. Should be handy enough if your ok with your hands. Hardest part is getting the power source! its been a while since I've had the corsa but here goes

I presume the cig lighter in your is behind the coin holder type door
    theres 4 screws on that door you remove the 4 screw careful not to loose the thread clip (I think thats what its called) and insert the blank cigarette lighter when its out leave it out and route the wires through the drivers footwell

You need one of these (Ten quid at motorfactors)

Cigarette%20Lighter%20.jpg

The outer cables in the picare for illuminating the cigarette lighter when the lights are on I didn't bother with that just insulate those wires with electrical tape. Push the cig lighter isn't the blank hole.

Get some rolls red & black of 12v wire 15amp should be more than enough for running Sat Navs.

Get some female spade connectors and a ring connector for the ground. (A euro or 2)

Female Spade:
    spade-connectors-female.jpg

Ring connector

clip_image004.jpg

You may need electrical crimpers that are a few euro

Run one spade to ring for the ground any metal can't remember where I grounded mine and a spade form the power to the fuse tap.

The spade slots into the back of the cig lighter and just be sure not to mix the ground and the power or there'll be smoke from your Garmin!

Route the wire to you fuse box. Make sure to cable tie as and secure it as last thing you want is the wire dropping down when your driving! Power now is all thats left you can use a fuse tap or an accessafuse.com I got mine from the states onliene but motorfactors I could only get scotchlocks (Vampire Taps) back when I was doing the ciggie. I'm sure they do them now.

Looks daunting but its easier than it sounds!

• Advertisement

Thanks! appreciated!

Fair play, eringobragh.

CK909 wrote: »
    Thanks! appreciated!
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Fair play, eringobragh.

No probs ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im never going to use it, but thanked you anyway. Its great to see people putting up step by step guides online. Always help the rest of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

great info there eringobragh....

Advertisement