Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the decent guys of Dublin gone???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Men and women get rejected all the time.... Men at the start and women when the men get what they want, it seems to be at an all time high...

I was in CFJ on Friday and i was with two of my mates, they were dressed to pull but then every guy who tried to talk to them they shut down immediately and quite rudely if i may say. Then on the way home they were bitching that no guys approached them.... I just didn't get it.... And i am a girl

I go to CFG for the craic tbh, great fun... late bar and club and it's always full of banter, i also love when the DJ starts playing country songs at 3.00am in the morning :D

People go out with the intention to meet someone and when they don't they are very disappointed.
    TV puts sob stories into our heads, we don't need a relationship to be whole or complete.

Girl, stop searching..... Just have fun!

There's a recession, everyone's been tightening their belts.......even the birds in copper face jacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    There's a recession, everyone's been tightening their belts.......even the birds in copper face jacks!
    rotflmfao......

Actually these days everyone watching their wallets... people are not generous with free drinks anymore :(
    Same with dates, guys would normally suggest going out to some nice restaurant now they opt for cooking you a nice meal at home.... :(

Not that i am complaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

rotflmfao......

Actually these days everyone watching their wallets... people are not generous with free drinks anymore :(
    Same with dates, guys would normally suggest going out to some nice restaurant now they opt for cooking you a nice meal at home.... :(

Not that i am complaining :D

coppers is a gud spot for mingling. so is Fibbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Coppers is almost as bad as Redz.... sweaty bum bums. Fibbers, well it depends on what crowd yer into. Good down to earth people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I love Coppers!!! I enjoy watching the madness... There is also drama....
    Coppers is almost as bad as Redz.... sweaty bum bums. Fibbers, well it depends on what crowd yer into. Good down to earth people there.

Ah no, Redz very very very very bad!

Or maybe cause there are better looking folks in CFG

And fibbers is a KIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Being curious about the mind of the Irish female, I often browse around this forum ( :pac: )

Anyways, few nights back was sitting in a grand little pub in town, and one of my good (female) mates gets into the drunk talk.

"Irish men...I'll tell ya Donal....they're all filth.
    Not a romantic among the bunch blah deblah....
    *off to the toilets, come back and shes still going*
    ..bloody football and laziness, and 'the lads' and blah deblah"

So my initial reaction is to go

"Ah here, I'm a decent bloke"

to which she goes "Oh yeah, of course. But you're one of my best mates.":rolleyes:

Thinking about it though, I'm prone to more or less the exact same rant about Irish women on occasion. I know loads and loads of great, beautiful, interesting, intelligent young 'uns. They're my friends, some of them fairly high up that chain too. If you think Irish men are bad, think of the ones in your close circle and they're probably great.

I've no doubt I've friends I'd fall in love out and out with if I just met them for the first time tomorrow say. Most people are probably like that too. There's decent (eh no...much more than decent) men/women out there, it's just about finding them. Keep the faith.
    we don't need a relationship to be whole or complete

+1.

*must also point out we're all roughly 19 years old and thus know feck all about life at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Try....
    1. Coppers
    2. D2
    3. Dicey Rileys
    4. Krystle
    5. Capitol

if you want a **** night..

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

I've found myself on the wrong side of women's high standards a lot over the past year. About 5 or 6 girls ive met in that time i've lasted 3-8 meetings, getting on grand with them and their friends, everything going fine, and then one day they wake up and decide to ignore me from then on.

Isn't that the most annoying thing ever? I was seeing this girl from work for about two months earlier in the year when all of a sudden she won't respond to my texts or answer my calls. Ok, fair enough if you don't see it going anywhere but it'd be nice if you actually told me that.
    What's worse, a short while after that she got moved onto the same team as me! She will barely acknowledge me even now beyond a curt and perfunctory "Hi". And I have tried striking up conversations believe me, just as work colleagues.
    I don't really care any more but it just strikes me as ignorance and immaturity of the highest order.

Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Stop being fussy, talk to people and if you like them take things from there.

Bloke rant here, perhaps it's just my age but if there's one thing that turns me off a girl immediately is that she trys to be somthing she's obviously not. There's a lot of bars in Dublin now where you'll come across this type of girl. Just be yourselves, cut the nonsense and shock horror the decent blokes are more likely to be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Wouldn't you think with all the posts on this particular topic, that the enterprising geniuses that are behind this website would have come up with a "Singles" forum???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think with all the posts on this particular topic, that the enterprising geniuses that are behind this website would have come up with a "Singles" forum???

It has been mentioned many times, and shot down every time. Boards is a discussion site, not a dating site. There are plenty of other sites that cater for that market. Apart from anything else, moderating a singles forum would be a complete nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm afraid I'm not one of those 'decent guys'...
    I'm brillaint! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Try....
    1. Coppers
    2. D2
    3. Dicey Rileys
    4. Krystle
    5. Capitol

You just listed, in order, the "hot spots" for "guys" to get themselves laid in Dublin.

Hardly the best places for the OP to go given her standards either.

OP, think long and hard about negatives that might be costing you these "dream men".

I love Coppers!!! I enjoy watching the madness... There is also drama....

At last a woman after my own heart! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CALI

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Dublin Andy, you make a very good point and rude women bring shame on the rest of us.... It also makes it harder for decent guys to approach nice girls...

I dont think fellas understand though that by the time the nice guy approaches you, you may have had 4 / 5 idiots up annoying you already that night.. It doesnt make it right but sometimes, on a night out, when your head is wrecked from idiots, you don't recognise / give the nice ones a chance...

I agree with this and also the fact that some guys are absolutely hammered by the time they come up to talk to you.

Well Jasus I don't know what's goin' on lately in recession Ireland but the last two nights I've been out in my local, I've had two girls chatting me up and not a nightclub in sight! :cool::cool::cool: Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

The sex panther is working for you then yeah......

Dunno what is behind it but in both cases, the girls were close to 30. One was 30 and I don't know what age the other one was but probably close to 30, so maybe there is an argument to be made for single girls around this age being a bit more "hands on" when it comes to looking for a bloke.

its always the older ones that chat u up... never the ones around ur own age... obviously lookin for a toyboy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

its always the older ones that chat u up... never the ones around ur own age... obviously lookin for a toyboy ;)

Nothing says 'F You' to the cheating husband like bringing a student home.

• Advertisement

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Nothing says 'F You' to the cheating husband like bringing a student home.

Risky strategy for a student!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

. . . So begs the question where are the decent guys of Dublin?

I've got me one of 'em -- long story short, it all started with a few fruit ciders . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I always find it funny (i.e. strange) how girls reach a certain age and then wonder where all the decent fellas are. This particularly happens among better looking girls. When they're in their prime (looks wise) i.e late teens/early 20's , they enjoy and reap the benefits of being the most attractive around. They never notice that when they are that age that there are girls in their late 20's and above who are "struggling" because of the increased competition. They love the attention from the smooth players when they are younger. They ignore the quieter, more reliable men of a similar age or slightly older. What happens then is that these men get picked up by the "second tier" (looks wise) of girls who aren't distracted by the player-types who are targetting the best looking girls. Hence when they great looking girl hits the age where she doesn't stand out as much as a fresh 20 year old, she doesn't get the attention from the top tier players and she starts to look around and wonders why all the nice men are taken.

They were probably beside you for years pet, only you weren't interested. You'll still have the fellas who are out chancing their arm for a ride. They will just chance their arm with the younger girls first and if that doesn't succeed they might give you a go.

You're only 25 so you're not in too bad of a position. A lot of girls refuse to recognise the way these things works until their mid-30's and by then the pickings are slim.

Sorry if I'm oversimplifying things but I'm just giving my opinion. People might conjecture that I'm bitter, but I'm not. I was one of those quiet young fellas who never got the girl and was turned down in preference to some bull****ting knob.

Now I'm older, got a good job, doing well for myself financially. The same girls who wouldn't throw me a second glance or who thought I wasn't good enough for them are now considering me as an option...... My response --- why would I give them a chance now? If I wasn't good enough for them then, I'm not going to be a fall back option now after they've spent years messing around with wasters. Why would I? There's loads of younger girls out there. Your average 20 year old beats 80% of 25-30 year olds on looks anyway. Let's be honest, things start to sag and get flabby and not too many girls exercise enough to keep things the way they used to be! Notwithstanding the fact that these younger girls aren't going to have all the emotional baggage that older one invariably have. It's my turn to be the older man impressing the younger girl just because I have a fancy car and job.

Other friends of mine who I'd consider to have been in similar situations have settled down with aforementioned "second tier looking" girls. They are nice girls and my friends are better off with them. It's just that in your case OP, if you'd made an effort with them when they were younger, you'd probably have snared yourself one of them.

OP, your problem may have been that you had it handy for many years attracting fellas and now a younger set is coming up behind you and you are no longer the top of the pile. What do you expect? You made the most of the system when you were at the top. You can't criticise it now.

Sorry, I came late to this thread...

Unregistered I hate to state the bleedin obvious, but men don't live in Tír na nóg. Most 30-something year old fellas ain't got nothing on their 20-something year old counterparts body wise either. They do however, usually, have a greater level of emotional maturity, sexual maturity and a better knack of knowing what they want. Its the same for women, but for us it happens a little earlier, usually 25plus.

I went out with a guy like you when I was 19/20. In fact, I was engaged to a guy like you when I was 19/20. He was in his thirties, had the personality and social skills of a brick but showed me a very very good time and worshipped the ground that I walked on, because I was in my little teen bubble and had the aforementioned perfect size 8 figure. I was oblivious to his inherent lack of, well, anything, and he had a relationship he could effectively buy... what student doesn't want a wardrobe tumbling down with the latest clothes??

He was my ideal man, until i realised that there were more important things in life and ended up falling for an engineering student who hadn't 2 punts to rub together, but showed me love and affection and everything mr moneybags didnt know how to show or express to me.

So Unregistered, as according to you, i am no longer in my prime, with all my saggy body bits etc allow me at least to profer you some advice...

Back to the drawing board good sir, relationships are something you have to work at, regardless of age, maybe You like the younger woman, but know that to hold onto them you have to make an effort.

The Beatles got it right you know.....Money can't buy you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I'm sorry, after being snubbed by so many Irish women I left for the US. Good god I miss being snubbed by Irish women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Risky strategy for a student!

Free brekfast might make it worth it though.

Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I always find it funny (i.e. strange) how girls reach a certain age and then wonder where all the decent fellas are. This particularly happens among better looking girls. When they're in their prime (looks wise) i.e late teens/early 20's , they enjoy and reap the benefits of being the most attractive around. They never notice that when they are that age that there are girls in their late 20's and above who are "struggling" because of the increased competition. They love the attention from the smooth players when they are younger. They ignore the quieter, more reliable men of a similar age or slightly older. What happens then is that these men get picked up by the "second tier" (looks wise) of girls who aren't distracted by the player-types who are targetting the best looking girls. Hence when they great looking girl hits the age where she doesn't stand out as much as a fresh 20 year old, she doesn't get the attention from the top tier players and she starts to look around and wonders why all the nice men are taken.

They were probably beside you for years pet, only you weren't interested. You'll still have the fellas who are out chancing their arm for a ride. They will just chance their arm with the younger girls first and if that doesn't succeed they might give you a go.

You're only 25 so you're not in too bad of a position. A lot of girls refuse to recognise the way these things works until their mid-30's and by then the pickings are slim.

Sorry if I'm oversimplifying things but I'm just giving my opinion. People might conjecture that I'm bitter, but I'm not. I was one of those quiet young fellas who never got the girl and was turned down in preference to some bull****ting knob.

Now I'm older, got a good job, doing well for myself financially. The same girls who wouldn't throw me a second glance or who thought I wasn't good enough for them are now considering me as an option...... My response --- why would I give them a chance now? If I wasn't good enough for them then, I'm not going to be a fall back option now after they've spent years messing around with wasters. Why would I? There's loads of younger girls out there. Your average 20 year old beats 80% of 25-30 year olds on looks anyway. Let's be honest, things start to sag and get flabby and not too many girls exercise enough to keep things the way they used to be! Notwithstanding the fact that these younger girls aren't going to have all the emotional baggage that older one invariably have. It's my turn to be the older man impressing the younger girl just because I have a fancy car and job.

Other friends of mine who I'd consider to have been in similar situations have settled down with aforementioned "second tier looking" girls. They are nice girls and my friends are better off with them. It's just that in your case OP, if you'd made an effort with them when they were younger, you'd probably have snared yourself one of them.

OP, your problem may have been that you had it handy for many years attracting fellas and now a younger set is coming up behind you and you are no longer the top of the pile. What do you expect? You made the most of the system when you were at the top. You can't criticise it now.
    Sorry, I came late to this thread...

Unregistered I hate to state the bleedin obvious, but men don't live in Tír na nóg. Most 30-something year old fellas ain't got nothing on their 20-something year old counterparts body wise either. They do however, usually, have a greater level of emotional maturity, sexual maturity and a better knack of knowing what they want. Its the same for women, but for us it happens a little earlier, usually 25plus.

I went out with a guy like you when I was 19/20. In fact, I was engaged to a guy like you when I was 19/20. He had the personality of a brick but showed me a very very good time and worshipped the ground that I walked on, because I was in my little teen bubble and the aforementioned perfect size 8 figure, and what student doesn't want a wardrobe tumbling down with the latest clothes??

He was my ideal man, until i realised that there were more important things in life and ended up falling for an engineering student who hadn't 2 punts to rub together, but showed me love and affection and everything mr moneybags didnt know how to show or express to me.

So Unregistered, as according to you, i am no longer in my prime, with all my saggy body bits etc allow me at least to profer you some advice...

Back to the drawing board good sir, relationships are something you have to work at, regardless of age, maybe like the younger woman, but know that to hold onto them you have to make an effort.

thats what u call hitting the nail on the head...as women get older they start to realise what they want in a man...thats when the nice guys get a chance...im only 21 so i stil hav to bear the burden of stuck up women who think ther all that when i go out...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It did for Ringo. He's got a face like a buldog chewing a wasp and he pulled a Bond girl....... ;)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Wibbs wrote: »
    It did for Ringo. He's got a face like a buldog chewing a wasp and he pulled a Bond girl....... ;)

Ah, i always liked ringo.... and if his style of *ahem* is as unique as his drumming, well, hey....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Ok, ok I am here now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

People might conjecture that I'm bitter, but I'm not. I was one of those quiet young fellas who never got the girl and was turned down in preference to some bull****ting knob.

That is pretty much being said in the face of the evidence.;)

Advertisement