Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office - Selected Student Discount

Options
  • 16-11-2008 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone could shed some light on this whether this is legal or not.

Is it legal to offer a student discount on one pair of shoes but not another?

I've never seen on any of their "Student Discount" signs that says its only on selected items.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Surely they don't have to give you a discount on anything. It's your choice whether to buy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm sure it's up to the shops discretion as to how much discount to give, it's not really going to benefit the shop if because of a discount their going to lose money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Pythia wrote: »
    Surely they don't have to give you a discount on anything. It's your choice whether to buy or not.

Why offer it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

orla wrote: »
    Why offer it then?
    To attract business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

im sure someone will come back with the correct terminology, but isnt the price tag what they would charge.
    Its an offer of sale... then when you bring it to the counter you make an offer of purchase - which usually is the same.
    but you can bring the 100euro shoes to the counter and say id like to buy these for 20euro
    (this was mentioned once on one course in a few lectures about 5 years ago at these stage probably so please correct me if im wrong :) - which im sure you will :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

samhail wrote: »
    im sure someone will come back with the correct terminology

Invitation to treat

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Were the other pair on sale? a lot of places do student discount on full price stuff only

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

jhegarty wrote: »
    Invitation to treat

100% correct.
    Thats all a selected offer is.
    It would be a different matter if all items were part of a "Sale" but as it stands, the shop is only offering an enticement and and legally whats known as an "Invitation to treat".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Since when have Office done a student discount?
    Any time i've asked they've said they don't do one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

eth0_ wrote: »
    Since when have Office done a student discount?
    Any time i've asked they've said they don't do one?

For well over 2 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

orla wrote: »
    For well over 2 years now.
    yup it's invitation to treat.

someone didn't pay attention to are consumer law classes last year :P.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Think about a sale. Not every item in the shop need be on sale. In a similar vein, I would imagine a discount need not be applicable to every item in the shop. At the end of the day, it's at the shop's discretion to offer a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Were you buying shoes that were on sale? Or Poste Mistress shoes? I've always gotten student discount there on their regular Office-branded heels and flat shoes..and Cons too I think.

Advertisement