Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA?

Options
  • 16-11-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

sorry i know this has been asked before, but can someone tell me what the GPA equals in terms of 2.2 and 2.1??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

There is an administration thread at the top, here's the link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055266863

In there you'll find the attachment for calculating GPA but what what you're looking for exactly is,

Honour Weighted GPA
    1st Class 3.68 and above
    2.1 3.08 to 3.67 inclusive
    2.2 2.48 to 3.07 inclusive
    Pass 2.00 to 2.47 inclusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

A II.I is between 3.08 and 3.67, inclusive. A II.II is between 2.48 and 3.07, inclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I apologise if this is a little off topic, but I find it difficult to understand the whole GPA thing, I mean what's wrong with just giving people standard II.Is and Is etc.? Why was it introduced? My head is melted from all this A, A-, B+, B stuff and GPAs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

GPA system more accurately reflects your achievements. A I.I could mean that you scraped a bare 3.68, between a B+ and an A-, or you put in quite an effort over two years and got between 4.1 and 4.2. Others use a bell curve type grading paradigm. The ECTS is supposed to standardise the method for 'comparing student achievement' across higher level institutions in Europe, a standardised grading scale is supposed to part of this. Different Universities implement GPAs, and grades in general, in different ways; e.g. some American Universities award an A for above 90% grades, in UCD and A+ is given for 76.67% and above.

They're revising the grading system at the moment, so this could all change (or it could stay the same).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

If you messed up two exams oh so badly in second year and brought your GPA down to a 2.2, will it be very hard to redeem myself this year?

I've only gotten one essay result back this year and it was an A!! :D
    Hope I can keep it up. But really guys, do I need to be getting A and high B's in everything this year in order to get an okay degree now?

• Advertisement

betafrog wrote: »
    What course are you doing... different courses calculate their degree's differently... Some will give 50-50 weight to 3rd & 4th Year... My degree is based entirely on my performance in 4th year.

Sorry, I should have said. I'd just posted in the Arts thread and forgot to mention that here! :o

I'm doing Arts, 50/50.

Wooohooo, got my second essay back! B+!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What is the minimum you need to be able to qualify for a masters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    What is the minimum you need to be able to qualify for a masters?

it varies, but its normally a high 2.1 minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭panda142

How do you work out what GPA you need in final year to get above 3.68.....i.e. to get a 1.1??

........if your degree is 30/70......and you are in final year and so, have 2nd year GPA????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

panda142 wrote: »
    How do you work out what GPA you need in final year to get above 3.68.....i.e. to get a 1.1??

........if your degree is 30/70......and you are in final year and so, have 2nd year GPA????

Your post makes little sense(adding "........................................" just makes things harder to read too) but getting your GPA is just adding and dividing. There is nothing remotely complicated about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Not sure if this is what you mean but

(3.68 - (2nd year GPA)*.3)/.7 = The 3rd year GPA you need for a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

AFAIK Arts take your best 6 results from second year, and that's your 30%, not taking your over all GPA for second year and multiplying by .3

Thats the way it was last year anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Jev/N wrote: »
    AFAIK Arts take your best 6 results from second year, and that's your 30%, not taking your over all GPA for second year and multiplying by .3

Thats the way it was last year anyways

It's 50/50 now.

http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/gpa_from0708.pdf

Advertisement