Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone give me a crash course in current politics...

Options
  • 16-11-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Find myself following a bit of all this stuff these days and noticed the PDs voting to disband their party recently. How come this didn't dissolve the government seeing as the PDs were part of the coalition - or is Mary Harney an independent now or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

redtom wrote: »
    Find myself following a bit of all this stuff these days and noticed the PDs voting to disband their party recently. How come this didn't dissolve the government seeing as the PDs were part of the coalition - or is Mary Harney an independent now or something?

They are part of the goverment but they only had 1 td in Harney which the goverment didn't need anyway as they have a majority. So even if she left the party it wouldn't collapse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Dont they have 2 TD's? Mary Harney and Noel Grealish?

Plus just because the party disbanded that doesnt mean that the PD TD's loose their seat, it just means that they are no longer PD's. They are free to join another party or to become an independant. Either way they would most likely still support the government (Harney especially) so there would be no change in the Coalitions majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

redtom wrote: »
    There are two TDs who were in the Progressive Democrats - Mary Harney and Noel Grealish.
    Ireland does not use a list system, instead we vote for individual TDs of individual parties. Therefore, it is generally considered that the seat belongs to the individual, not the party.

Advertisement