Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 or i-phone

• 16-11-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Currently have a n95 8gb but was offered a swop for a i-phone. Would I be better off keeping the n95 or swopping?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What do you use the phone for? (Which functions, that is.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

What do you use the phone for? (Which functions, that is.)

internet, listening to music, taking pics. Oh ya and phone calls 2:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

keep your n95. they are miles better than an iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Definately keep the N95. Iphone is useless tbph.

• Advertisement

Ya tis me only camera

Didnt know it only had such a basic camera. I will stick with the nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

i have to look up the n96, supposedly better than an iPhone.

Here it is. What a primitive thing.

The map software is from 1982, is it?

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, Nokias are ****e. The real compeition in the phone space will be comanies like Apple. Google and possibly MS ( if they get their act together) who realize that a phone is a portable OS device. A computer. Nokia's "OS" is not scalable. It is primitive. They should stick to low end machines where they have some traction.

asdasd wrote: »
    i have to look up the n96, supposedly better than an iPhone.

Here it is. What a primitive thing.

The map software is from 1982, is it?

Yes I know what it looks like. I have it in front of me
    Just to be clear, Nokias are ****e. The real compeition in the phone space will be comanies like Apple. Google and possibly MS ( if they get their act together) who realize that a phone is a portable OS device. A computer. Nokia's "OS" is not scalable. It is primitive. They should stick to low end machines where they have some traction.

What in the name of god are you trying to say.. Have you been at the drinks cabinet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

you are nuts... and I'm saying that with all the due care and respect! is it drink? :P
    what is a portable os device anyways? man... keep them coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

LOL at the use of 'traction'. Very poor attempt at a wind-up.

what is a portable os device anyways? man... keep them coming!

OS = operating system. Something that Apple can do, and well, and Nokia cannot. Whcih is why you dont have on on your PC, nor will you. So in the future as the iPhone develops , and Google android too, and possibly MS their phones wil be as powerful as modern day computers, and unless Nokia actually hires people who can write operating systems for what are in effect portable computers then they will wither, and die.

There is the low end market still available.

LOL at the use of 'traction'.

lol at your inablilty to understand a word which I used correctly in that context.

OS = operating system. Something that Apple can do, and well, and Nokia cannot. Whcih is why you dont have on on your PC, nor will you. So in the future as the iPhone develops , and Google android too, and possibly MS their phones wil be as powerful as modern day computers, and unless Nokia actually hires people who can write operating systems for what are in effect portable computers then they will wither, and die.

There is the low end market still available.
    is that why iphone can't multitask/copy/paste/plug'n'play? the iphone is a niche fashion device, and apple have a long long way to go before they can touch (pun) even wm, not to mention nokia, who sell in a week what apple sell in a year! you have been over-exposed to iphone-hype and other bs... I recommend....oh, nothing, really :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well i find the n95 does most of the things the iphone does, and it easier to connect with other devices and get files on and off. It has more features packed into it

the iphone interface, web browser and wifi are better than the nokia, but the nokia still does a reasonable job and has features that apple forgot about which is annoying

there both good devices, not much reason to switch from the n95 to the iphone i think

• Advertisement

eolhc wrote: »
    well i find the n95 does most of the things the iphone does, and it easier to connect with other devices and get files on and off. It has more features packed into it

the iphone interface, web browser and wifi are better than the nokia, but the nokia still does a reasonable job and has features that apple forgot about which is annoying

there both good devices, not much reason to switch from the n95 to the iphone i think
    the iphone's browser is better because the screens so nice, big and shiny! it is not really that great! and in fact, most of the latest nokia brigade like the e71 handle a lot more sites than the iphone. the iphone is all about presentation/image/looks.... it's not even a real phone hahaha!
    I'll stop now; whenever the iphone enters a thread, common sense evaporates....
    bye

is that why iphone can't multitask/copy/paste/plug'n'play? the iphone is a niche fashion device, and apple have a long long way to go before they can touch (pun) even wm, not to mention nokia, who sell in a week what apple sell in a year! you have been over-exposed to iphone-hype and other bs... I recommend....oh, nothing, really

since OS X can do all of those things the reason to take these things out was driven by memory, UI, or battery life considerations. It is not an intrinsiic limitation of the operating system which runs on the iPhone which is aversion of OS X. Early developement versions of the iPhone probably had multi-tasking. On a phone that is not so desirable, so they too it out.

In any case we are at iPhone 1.1.x with updates every few months. In the future these limitations will be removed ( with the exception of the multitaksing, apps wil have the ability to get updates when not running via some Apple controlled process). In reality the fact that Apple competes against the top end Nokia machines after one iteration tells the future itself. How long have Nokia been at this?

I am talking about the future OS for smart phones. In a decade it is between - in terms of the OS - Android and the OS X phone version. Nokia is really a hardware manufacturer and symbian wont compete in that market. Nokia may use Android, of course.

( Of course I think Android, being more open, may well prevail).

since OS X can do all of those things the reason to take these things out was driven by memory, UI, or battery life considerations. It is not an intrinsiic limitation of the operating system which runs on the iPhone which is aversion of OS X. Early developement versions of the iPhone probably had multi-tasking. On a phone that is not so desirable, so they too it out. (***what???***)

In any case we are at iPhone 1.1.x with updates every few months. In the future these limitations will be removed ( with the exception of the multitaksing, apps wil have the ability to get updates when not running via some Apple controlled process). In reality the fact that Apple competes against the top end Nokia machines after one iteration tells the future itself. How long have Nokia been at this?

I am talking about the future OS for smart phones. In a decade it is between - in terms of the OS - Android and the OS X phone version. Nokia is really a hardware manufacturer and symbian wont compete in that market. Nokia may use Android, of course.

you are kidding, right?
    how can you know all those words, and yet make know sense? any experts here? :p:D

"multitasking is not desirable on a phone"? what is wrong with you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Definately keep the N95. Iphone is useless tbph.

tbph you are talking through your ar$e!

N95 is a flawed phone just as the Iphone is.

It's way too fat, opens & answers calls in your pocket, flimsy (my mates one is held together by sellotape) & sluggish. Crap GPS, very good camera for a phone but only for a phone crap as a camera. It's not about megapixels it's optics!

Iphone is flawed that's for sure, but as a Phone/Internet/Music/Email/Gadget solution all in package it almost as good as it gets, hence all of the Iphone killer wannabes out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

strecker wrote: »
    is that why iphone can't multitask/copy/paste/plug'n'play? the iphone is a niche fashion device, and apple have a long long way to go before they can touch (pun) even wm, not to mention nokia, who sell in a week what apple sell in a year! you have been over-exposed to iphone-hype and other bs... I recommend....oh, nothing, really :P

Ever used a WM phone? They are atrocious - Multitasking is great on a device with ample processing power and RAM, which most portable devices are sorely lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bye

So true. All of the arguments here are essentially, "Teh iPhone is bleedin' crap, it's only for posers".

So let me give you a "posers" angle. I wanted a device that keeps me entertained on the train - music, internet and videos. I also wanted a device that would allow me to send text messages and make the occasional phonecall and indulge in a spot of Instant Messaging. For me, the iPhone does all that, and does it with style.

I have recently downloaded AllRadio - streaming radio, when used with a data add-on, negates the need for an FM radio. As for the camera, I think I have taken five photos since I got the iPhone, four of them were on the day I got the phone. I have no need for a camera, I don't do MMS, I don't need GPS, I am still debating whether I really need 3G.

So, despite it's shortcomings, the iPhone fullfills my needs. As I have said so many times on this forum, to all the detractors, it's all about what you want to do with your phone, not what other people's perceptions are.
    since OS X can do all of those things the reason to take these things out was driven by memory, UI, or battery life considerations. It is not an intrinsiic limitation of the operating system which runs on the iPhone which is aversion of OS X. Early developement versions of the iPhone probably had multi-tasking. On a phone that is not so desirable, so they too it out.

I have read all of your posts, several times over and still can't comprehend what you are attempting to contribute to the debate as to whether the OP should get and iPhone or stick with an n95. :confused:

"multitasking is not desirable on a phone"? what is wrong with you???

Because of the effect on battery life. The potential for third party developers to abuse the system is what worried Apple. Any application running in the background can consume cpu and battery life.

The iphone can multi-task in fact, that is what happens when a phone call comes in. The original application is suspended. Another application comes to the front ( the telephone application) and then switches back when finished.

I dont necessarliy agree with the decision particularly because it of the effect it has on not-very technical people who are scrambling for reasons to dislike the iPhone.

I have read all of your posts, several times over and still can't comprehend what you are attempting to contribute to the debate as to whether the OP should get and iPhone or stick with an n95.

Yeah I moved a bit off thread. I am really arguing against people who think the iPhone a "toy". It is far from it.

But I leave the thread to go back on topic. :-)

Yeah I moved a bit off thread. I am really arguing against people who think the iPhone a "toy". It is far from it.

But I leave the thread to go back on topic. :-)
    but that's why the op should stick with the N: the iphone is a toy! apple are not ready to build an affordable mass-market(-able) phone; that's why they released a purposefully handicapped fashion-pod!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

the iphone's browser is better because the screens so nice, big and shiny! it is not really that great! and in fact, most of the latest nokia brigade like the e71 handle a lot more sites than the iphone. the iphone is all about presentation/image/looks.... it's not even a real phone hahaha!
    bye

I don't have an iPhone I have a nokia... But you can't dismiss the iPhone as not being a phone. Yes the fact it has a big screen helps make it a good web browser... I don't see how what I said lacked common sense.... You seem to have iPhone issues dude

Advertisement