Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 or i-phone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

eolhc wrote: »
    I don't have an iPhone I have a nokia... But you can't dismiss the iPhone as not being a phone. Yes the fact it has a big screen helps make it a good web browser... I don't see how what I said lacked common sense.... You seem to have iPhone issues dude
    I do, dude ;) ....And
    that is because nothing except for, maybe, religion and sex has ever so badly influenced human reasoning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

strecker wrote: »
    I do, dude ;) ....And
    that is because nothing except for, maybe, religion and sex has ever so badly influenced human reasoning!

You're talking like a mad man - Just because you are getting frustrated that not everyone on here is subscribing to your anti-iphone campaign.

badly influenced human reasoning - or maybe it's actually a very good device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

OP if I was you I would stick with the N95. I have it meself and I love it. Was a throw up between Iphone and N95 and Im delighted I picked the Nokia. The whole touch screen thing just doesnt interest me at all. I want buttons. I have used the Iphone, in my opinion its alright but would not take one for free if I was offered it, well I would but I'd stick it up on fleabay straight away.
    Nokia have always been the best and are always going to be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

well ,for me i will always stick to Nokia,truly usable mobile phone wins my heart.

tbh there is always one word comes up on my mind when all the mobile phones' function people are talking about :laptop.

how would you enjoy a web browsing on that tiny screen???and type email with keypad :(laptop wins everything hands down.wah,you need it when you are on a train?your cheap mp3 player+ texting with normal phone will do.go home use your 20'' LCD desktop or 15'' laptop.and eh,iphone has a big screen??maybe a tiny bit bigger than my old PDA.but the price?:pac:

iphone is the dumbest thing i have ever seen.i had a PDA before.touch screen,online,multitasking - big deal,i did it back in 2004.didnt like the PDA abit,reasons as mentioned above.

get a real phone.use your laptop for work.get a camera for photo.use ipod for music(yes i have no choice cause' it is the best mp3 player out there,cheap with high cap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

seraphimvc wrote:
    ipod for music(yes i have no choice cause' it is the best mp3 player out there,cheap with high cap).
    Not a chance. Ipods are brutal. Creative zen anyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Predictably enough, there is a serious lack of objectivity in this thread.

I have experience with both. I sold my N95 for an iPhone, and here are my thoughts.

I miss the superb camera on the N95, but don't miss the look and feel of the handset, the buggy OS, or the loose slider action.

The iPhone is one of the most visually stunning phones out there. Very slick.

Touch screen phones like the iPhone, suck for texting on the move (walking or in a car) Actually, unless you're standing still, or sitting comfortably, with two hands free, touch screen phones SUCK for texting.

The iPhone support community is fantastic, as are the official support and features from Apple and the App store. The opposite could be said for Nokia IMO. Nobody should need to be a geek to use a mobile phone.

Apples shoddy bluetooth, locked to 1 computer, and itunes etc, thing is evil and anti competitive, but people are voting with their wallets, and buying the iPhone anyway.
    The Nokia can be used like a portable hard drive, with any computer. This is the way it should be.

So in my opinion
    -The n95 is a phone for cash strapped geeks, who expect real value for money, and are prepared sort out the occassional hitch.
    -The iPhone is for style concious people who don't want to have to think how to use their phone, but expect things to "just work", even if it costs a bit extra for the pleasure.

So it's horses for courses rather than a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

womoma wrote: »
    Predictably enough, there is a serious lack of objectivity in this thread.

I have experience with both. I sold my N95 for an iPhone, and here are my thoughts.

I miss the superb camera on the N95, but don't miss the look and feel of the handset, the buggy OS, or the loose slider action.

The iPhone is one of the most visually stunning phones out there. Very slick.

Touch screen phones like the iPhone, suck for texting on the move (walking or in a car) Actually, unless you're standing still, or sitting comfortably, with two hands free, touch screen phones SUCK for texting.

The iPhone support community is fantastic, as are the official support and features from Apple and the App store. The opposite could be said for Nokia IMO. Nobody should need to be a geek to use a mobile phone.

Apples shoddy bluetooth, locked to 1 computer, and itunes etc, thing is evil and anti competitive, but people are voting with their wallets, and buying the iPhone anyway.
    The Nokia can be used like a portable hard drive, with any computer. This is the way it should be.

So in my opinion
    -The n95 is a phone for cash strapped geeks, who expect real value for money, and are prepared sort out the occassional hitch.
    -The iPhone is for style concious people who don't want to have to think how to use their phone, but expect things to "just work", even if it costs a bit extra for the pleasure.

So it's horses for courses rather than a matter of opinion.

I must say, this is one of the most objective, honest and succinct breakdowns between the iPhone and any handset I have read on Boards.

"So it's horses for courses rather than a matter of opinion". This statement alone I couldn't agree with more. Again, well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I can simply say that I got an N95 a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have never owned an iPhone so can't comment on it to any great extent. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Nokia if you did decide to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Victor_M wrote: »
    tbph you are talking through your ar$e!

N95 is a flawed phone just as the Iphone is.

It's way too fat, opens & answers calls in your pocket, flimsy (my mates one is held together by sellotape) & sluggish. Crap GPS, very good camera for a phone but only for a phone crap as a camera. It's not about megapixels it's optics!

I would suggest your mates n95 is the older silver one the black one fixed the problem with the battery cover breaking off. As for the optics dosnt it have carl zeiss optics in it.

Whats wrong with the gps ? Seems great to me, ive used tomtom on it and the nokia and google maps and all seemed to work perfectly.

Personally dont see why there is so much hype over the iphone on paper my black n95 is miles ahead of the iphone. Iphone is fine but if your asking which is better in my opinion n95/n96 are in a different league to the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I must say, this is one of the most objective, honest and succinct breakdowns between the iPhone and any handset I have read on Boards.

"So it's horses for courses rather than a matter of opinion". This statement alone I couldn't agree with more. Again, well said.

Yeah spot on womoma's post was a decent one, while I might agree with all the points of the post, its not just anti iphone for some reason which has nothing at all to do with the actual handset

• Advertisement

'objective'? Is it? Womoma may have been nice and friendly in tone, but objective? Describing the looks of the n95 and then saying the iphone's prettier, is so trivial! You know what a phone looks like before you buy it. Heck, they even put pics on the boxes! 'n95 is for cash-strapped geeks'? Hello! Reality?!!!! Look around who's using the N95? And what was the original price for the n95/n95 8gb?

Better support from apple than from nokia?
    Buggy N fw?
    Apple, as we speak is being sued for the flaw riddled 3g iphone!
    Objective?
    But...I give up! I said it before: when the iphone enters, objectivity takes a nap. And btw, I owned both the n95 and n95 8gb, and they just didn't do it for me. Simple as that. Slider 4x3 is as bad for miles of texting as a touchscreen.

'objective'? Is it? Womoma may have been nice and friendly in tone, but objective? Describing the looks of the n95 and then saying the iphone's prettier, is so trivial! You know what a phone looks like before you buy it. Heck, they even put pics on the boxes! 'n95 is for cash-strapped geeks'? Hello! Reality?!!!! Look around who's using the N95? And what was the original price for the n95/n95 8gb?

Better support from apple than from nokia?
    Buggy N fw?
    Apple, as we speak is being sued for the flaw riddled 3g iphone!
    Objective?
    But...I give up! I said it before: when the iphone enters, objectivity takes a nap. And btw, I owned both the n95 and n95 8gb, and they just didn't do it for me. Simple as that. Slider 4x3 is as bad for miles of texting as a touchscreen.

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.

I might be of the opinion that your post was riddled with superfluous use of punctuation, excessive grammatical mistakes and an overzealous tone, but, as previously mentioned, it would only be my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

seraphimvc wrote: »
    tbh there is always one word comes up on my mind when all the mobile phones' function people are talking about :laptop.

Question for you - how often do you commute on the train? I do it every day. Whipping out the laptop while squashed in like a sardine in a sauna just isn't practical when standing. I can, however, surf on my iPhone while listening to music.

Horses for courses, really.
    how would you enjoy a web browsing on that tiny screen???and type email with keypad :(laptop wins everything hands down.wah,you need it when you are on a train?your cheap mp3 player+ texting with normal phone will do.go home use your 20'' LCD desktop or 15'' laptop.and eh,iphone has a big screen??maybe a tiny bit bigger than my old PDA.but the price?:pac:

Do I want to "enjoy" the web experience, or do I want fast, simple access to a couple of websites? I'm not looking for Web 2.0 experience on any mobile device, I am looking for convenient, simple access to the web. And carrying around more than one gadget is so last century.
    iphone is the dumbest thing i have ever seen.i had a PDA before.touch screen,online,multitasking - big deal,i did it back in 2004.didnt like the PDA abit,reasons as mentioned above.

Dumbest? Very eloquent of you, backed up with solid facts. :rolleyes:

Again, I ask, have you actually used Pocket Internet Explorer on a PDA? Worlds apart from the N95 browser and the iPhone browser. I would also question just how you got online in 2004? WiFi? Certainly not Edge or 3G, methinks. So your argument is fundamentally flawed. Not everybody wants to be tethered to the PC at home.
    get a real phone.use your laptop for work.get a camera for photo.use ipod for music(yes i have no choice cause' it is the best mp3 player out there,cheap with high cap).

Not everybody wants to carry around multiple gadgets. I am willing to compromise for the sake of carrying one gadget, that does all of what I want.

If you want a feature-rich device, with a standard Nokia user interface, go for the N95.

If you want a device that performs a limited number of features, but performs them with plenty of eye-candy, then go for the iPhone.

There is no comparison between the N95 and the iPhone, simple as that.

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.

I might be of the opinion that your post was riddled with superfluous use of punctuation, excessive grammatical mistakes and an overzealous tone, but, as previously mentioned, it would only be my opinion.

Might and would.............thats jus' fine widd me, as long ass you stick to the thread''ss subject rather than my shortcomings!!!???!!! But I might would suggest that I have noticed a pattern in the way fanboys debate, and guess what: it doesn't work - not even if YOU might do it!
    Can one please stick to the thread? Yes, I'm a foreigner who currently types in a rushed and flawful manner, but at least I try to make a point now and again...but go ahead: call immigration! ;)

Might and would.............thats jus' fine widd me, as long ass you stick to the thread''ss subject rather than my shortcomings!!!???!!! But I might would suggest that I have noticed a pattern in the way fanboys debate, and guess what: it doesn't work - not even if YOU might do it!
    Can one please stick to the thread? Yes, I'm a foreigner who currently types in a rushed and flawful manner, but at least I try to make a point now and again...but go ahead: call immigration! ;)

I love the way the term "fanboy" is used when someone's opinion differs from another's. I don't currently use a Nokia or Apple handset, so your point is negated.

Long story short, we're comparing apples and oranges here. It all boils down to the user's requirements. As Tom Dunne mentioned, there's no comparison.

I love the way the term "fanboy" is used when someone's opinion differs from another's. I don't currently use a Nokia or Apple handset, so your point is negated.

Long story short, we're comparing apples and oranges here. It all boils down to the user's requirements. As Tom Dunne mentioned, there's no comparison.

Yeah.
    That's okayable.
    even innegateable ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm an owner of an N95 for the last year and a half and I couldn't be happier. I had an iPhone for a couple of weeks but, apart from the bigger screen for watching movies, there was wan't much on it in comparison.

I couldn't live without:

- A great camera which has taken so many great photos on the run and on holidays
    - A brilliant GPS device that's helped me find my way on so many occasions
    - A great little MP3 playerr whose sound quality is superior to apple products (IMO)
    - A great phone (the most important aspect I guess)

My two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have an Ipod Touch and a N95 8G - best of both worlds!

The Touch is great for listening to music, audiobooks, reading mails and ebooks, SSH, surfing the web and playing games while watching tripe on TV etc. it is used in this manner for 3-5 hours each day.

N95 is a great phone, organiser that automatically syncs with my laptop via bluetooth, email checker, mobile wifi hotspot, GPS, exercise logger (sportstracker), radio, mp3 player for stuff that is a PITA to load up via itunes (the economist talking edition).

Sometimes you may even want to use both at the same time!

So maybe the either or should be an and!

I use Joiku spot to give mobile internet access to the Touch when I am out and about.

They do different jobs, yes there is some crossover but an important point is that you also have two different batteries removing a single point of failure if you are traveling.

That being said, if I had bought the N95 first I would have had a hard time justifying the Touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Keep the N95. It is a far superior phone. I have used the iPhone and almost ordered one but decided against it at the last minute.

The iPhone is severely lacking in many areas that the N95 excels in. To name a few issues that swung it for me against the iphone:

- Very poor and limited bluetooth functionality
    - No MMS, picture messages etc..
    - Poor camera with no flash
    - Touch screen texting wasn't to my liking for day-to-day usability
    - Reports of poor battery life, although the N95 doesn't really excel here either
    - Inability to change tone for texts (afaik, someone may confirm)
    - Excessive price and contracts

Nokia have a much better pedigree in building phones and I think this shows. The iPhone, while it's a lovely looking device and does some things very well, it remains a very limited phone missing some very basic features you would expect to find in a high end €500 phone.

Having had my N95 for almost a year and half now, it has served me well but it's time for a change and I've decided to go back to Sony Ericsson and get the new C905.

Advertisement