Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Referendum Vote Clock Is Ticking Down...

Options
  • 16-11-2008 2:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

According to the latest reports as of Saturday 15th 2008, we, the Irish are going to have to vote again once more of the treaty that we have already rejected. The previous vote being considered the equivalent of being invalid by our leaders.

Its become clear that the government has now to ratify the Lisbon Treaty as soon as possible.
    * One of these reasons is that under the next upcoming change of government in Britain where there is a good chance the conservatives will regain power, that will further scupper the prospects for the Treaty/Constitution.
    * Another reason is that in January Nicolas Sarkosy loses his position as president of the EU to the same Czech government that has sided with the anti-Lisbon community. Sarkosy also wants to leave the position claiming that his tenure was a successful one so he is currently pressurising (bullying!) Mr Brian Cowan into compliance.
    * Cowans position as leader is presently shaky to say the least, he rolling from one political disaster to another.

Because of these direct problems its become known in political circles quietly that the government will publicly commit Ireland to a second referendum at the next month EU conference.

The referendum itself will more than like be held in the autumn of next year after the European summer elections with October being quietly referred to as the most current likely time.

Meanwhile back home, the government is preparing steps to curtail the opposition.
    * One move is to remove the legal requirement from broadcasters to give equal time to both sides. As RTE is the main Irish station and is open to "pressure" from the government as as been shown previously (Late Late Show being one example and a doctor that was supposed to be on it opposing a T.D. on health issues), the government is trying to close the doors on which the opposition can walk through and be heard.
    * Researchers have been reported to have been dispatched to dig for anything that could be thrown at opposition leaders from their personal and family lives. An upgraded and American form of political attack that which the government is now willing to openly use.
    * Pro-Lisbon supporters including the head of the EU parliament in conjunction with leaders of Fianna Fail are also calling for opposition leaders to be investigated at that level also. Having done quietly previous investigations (and finding NOTHING), this time around the task is not only to investigate again the same material but to do so openly as to "throw mud" and attempt to dis-credit the opposition. Bring to bear intimidation and distraction with the procedure again of having to produce records again to be dug into.
    * Exposing in public the names of anti-Lisbon supporters and their other family member names as to force them into withdrawing from lending any further support. An example of this was the leaked list of names of those that attended the dinner last week hosted by Libertas. Not only was the list of those there leaked (no one was hiding, after all they were in a public place) but the names of all their family including their husbands, wives (who didn't attend!) was given to the media too from the Department of Foreign Affairs. A first for them and was noted by all journalists. To what other end the passing on of other family names was provided, you can draw your own conclusions!

For Cowan to waste any more time in stalling to his masters in Europe, is being seen by all as another failing of him to toe the line with them.

Among Fianna Fail circles and leaked to some journalists, the word has gone out to prepare the groundwork for the word that Cowan will confirm the ignoring of the previous referendum by telling at the EU meeting next month, that he will be making the Irish people vote yet again so he can get his way - and his masters way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

How can you say that? The government is still exploring what the last result meant! Yadda Yadda effin' Yadda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dresden8 wrote: »
    ...The government is still exploring what the last result meant!...

In case you missed the update (which you have) their research into the results finished up some time back and was passed onto the FF party and discussed already.
    Keep up with the news...

I can say the above because of being informed of such and other sources have confirmed it.

O and by the way, watch the Sunday 6/9 news on RTE!

Sunday Night update: Some people thought I was talking through my backside - Oops! Guess what. My sources were right - imagine that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Micheál Martin, told RTE's 'The Week in Politics' that the decision has not been made yet. He said the Government will bring the 'elements of a solution' to the meeting in Brussels month." http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1116/lisbon.html

Looks like it is a definite referendum then.

How do I easily find out the government quotes prior to the last vote where we were told that if we voted No, the treaty was dead and other classics?

The decision to make us vote yet again, was decided some time ago.
    They are ONLY stalling because of the current political unrest.
    F.F. is absolutely crying out for an appropriate time to announce it officially to the public, fearing yet another backlash, amid many that is onging.
    The fact that the I.F.A. is now also on the back of the government once again, means that that organisation will once again have to be won over/bought off with more budget u-turns in order to get their members to say "yes" again!

...Here we go again...

So much for upholding the will of the people!

Integrity, honour and truthfulness in Fianna Fail is non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Biggins wrote: »
    In case you missed the update (which you have) their research into the results finished up some time back and was passed onto the FF party and discussed already.
    Keep up with the news...

I can say the above because of being informed of such and other sources have confirmed it.

O and by the way, watch the Sunday 6/9 news on RTE!

Sunday Night update: Some people thought I was talking through my backside - Oops! Guess what. My sources were right - imagine that!

FFS. Anybody ever hear of sub-text around here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If we have another refendum, and its passed, isn't that also the will of the people?

PHB wrote: »
    If we have another referendum, and its passed, isn't that also the will of the people?

True, but if the result is yet again another "No", will that too be ignored as well?
    And if the will of the people has been made clear already (many have thought it has) how many more (previous) wills of the people are going to be ignored before the government actually sticks by one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

PHB wrote: »
    If we have another refendum, and its passed, isn't that also the will of the people?

its unwritten rule that you wait up to ten years before having a new referednum, the result carries that much weight, unless there a low turnout like nice 1

its unwritten rule that you wait up to ten years before having a new referednum, the result carries that much weight, unless there a low turnout like the nice 1

...except in Ireland where the attitude is "Stuff them, lets make them vote again and again till their will actually matches what we want!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

What part of no do they not understand. They are doing nothing but fuelling anti-European sentiment, which no one wants IMO. If Sarkozy shut his trap and gave us time to find our feet we could find a solution with our European partners instead of being forced to vote down something we already voted down.

I guess democracy is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

...except in Ireland where the attitude is "Stuff them, lets make them vote again and again till their will actually matches what we want!"

in a few years we may look back with blissfull memory when we didnt vote how our political masters wanted us to all it meant was being asked to vote again, eventually they are just going to do what happened in france and netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The previous vote being considered the equivalent of being invalid by our leaders.

Source?
    * One of these reasons is that under the next upcoming change of government in Britain where there is a good chance the conservatives will regain power, that will further scupper the prospects for the Treaty/Constitution.

1. For the last goddamn time, it's not a ****ing Constitution.
    2. Britain has already ratified the Treaty of Lisbon, so if the Tories get in, they can't change that.

* Another reason is that in January Nicolas Sarkosy loses his position as president of the EU to the same Czech government that has sided with the anti-Lisbon community. Sarkosy also wants to leave the position claiming that his tenure was a successful one so he is currently pressurising (bullying!) Mr Brian Cowan into compliance.

1. The Czech Government recommended to their constitutional court that the treaty be not considered anti constitutional.
    2. Sarkozy's tenure was successful in many other ways.
    3. Cowan's not being bullied - he wants the Treaty passed.
    Because of these direct problems its become known in political circles quietly that the government will publicly commit Ireland to a second referendum at the next month EU conference.

Good, can't wait to get a second chance. We're lucky.

* One move is to remove the legal requirement from broadcasters to give equal time to both sides. As RTE is the main Irish station and is open to "pressure" from the government as as been shown previously (Late Late Show being one example and a doctor that was supposed to be on it opposing a T.D. on health issues), the government is trying to close the doors on which the opposition can walk through and be heard.

Source?
    And, if it keeps Libertas, and all those other liars, off of the airwaves and away from the populus, can it really be a bad thing?

* Researchers have been reported to have been dispatched to dig for anything that could be thrown at opposition leaders from their personal and family lives. An upgraded and American form of political attack that which the government is now willing to openly use.

Again, source? You're almost as bad as Ganley himself...

* Pro-Lisbon supporters including the head of the EU parliament in conjunction with leaders of Fianna Fail are also calling for opposition leaders to be investigated at that level also. Having done quietly previous investigations (and finding NOTHING), this time around the task is not only to investigate again the same material but to do so openly as to "throw mud" and attempt to dis-credit the opposition. Bring to bear intimidation and distraction with the procedure again of having to produce records again to be dug into.

Nothing? *cough* Libertas' funding *cough* *cough*

Exposing in public the names of anti-Lisbon supporters and their other family member names as to force them into withdrawing from lending any further support. An example of this was the leaked list of names of those that attended the dinner last week hosted by Libertas. Not only was the list of those there leaked (no one was hiding, after all they were in a public place) but the names of all their family including their husbands, wives (who didn't attend!) was given to the media too from the Department of Foreign Affairs. A first for them and was noted by all journalists. To what other end the passing on of other family names was provided, you can draw your own conclusions!

1. Is it not your opinion that these people have nothing to be ashamed about?
    2. As you said, public place.
    3. How exactly was the list of the absent spouses compiled. And i never heard any of this. I'd really hate to put 'Libertas' and 'made-up' into the same sentence again. It gets tiring.

For Cowan to waste any more time in stalling to his masters in Europe, is being seen by all as another failing of him to toe the line with them.

Bull.

Among Fianna Fail circles and leaked to some journalists, the word has gone out to prepare the groundwork for the word that Cowan will confirm the ignoring of the previous referendum by telling at the EU meeting next month, that he will be making the Irish people vote yet again so he can get his way - and his masters way!

Oh noes, not teh democracies!!!1! You can still vote No, but I'd seriously advise against it.

You would be seriously jeopardising our economy, as à la Iceland, we're just a tiny rock in the Atlantic with not much to offer without the EU. The EUs reaction to Lenihan's bail out was tantamount to "do whatever you want, we don't give a **** about you lot". We need to be at the core of Europe, not a bunch of dissident loonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

its unwritten rule that you wait up to ten years before having a new referednum, the result carries that much weight, unless there a low turnout like nice 1

Does a result still carry a lot of weight if surveys showed that a substantial number of people voted while not understanding the issue? I'd agree that things like low turnout diminish the weight of a result, but I'd also broaden that to other factors like lack of understanding and/or a vote being skewed by deliberate misinformation or lies by one side.

More importantly, if a result was the result that the people truly believed to be the correct one then it should not matter if a referendum is rerun within a short time period since the people would most likely return the same result if asked again no? If it's a case where people didn't understand the issue then surely the correct way forward would be to explain to these people what the issue is and then allow them to cast a knowledgeable and informed vote on it.

Sorry Obl but if you expect me to name sources of my information on a public forum (sources by the way that have been right so far!) you clearly don't understand the security issues involved in doing so.

* You say its not a constitution but a number of legal reviews have already stated that the inner contents of the treaty are the same as the previous constitution we voted on. The treaty being considered just a clever rewording by many.

* While you might agree that its a good idea to keep Libertas off the air, there are issues about others, not necessarily about this issue, being able to still have the right to speak out!
    If, as the present government is trying to do, curtail free speech and the ability of others to hear an opposing voice, I and many others have an issue with this alone totally separate from the Lisbon issue.
    Some day maybe you will want to speak out abut something that you disagree with your government with. will you be so happy then with the changed laws when you find out your being over-ruled and ignored and not given air time to explain your position?

* Just because you didn't hear about the list dispatched from the Dept of Foreign Affairs, don't make it less true. It was, the contents was real and has been reported on.

You would be seriously jeopardising our economy
    Really! You mean we letting the government, can make things worse - thats a vote of confidence!

Its clear you feel a certain way about the treaty. I do too.

I take issue though also and moreso with the way and the methods being used/introduced to curtail any opposition. They are just as alarming as the government ignoring the last vote we had, making us all vote again till they get what they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

nesf wrote: »
    Does a result still carry a lot of weight if surveys showed that a substantial number of people voted while not understanding the issue? I'd agree that things like low turnout diminish the weight of a result, but I'd also broaden that to other factors like lack of understanding and/or a vote being skewed by deliberate misinformation or lies by one side.

More importantly, if a result was the result that the people truly believed to be the correct one then it should not matter if a referendum is rerun within a short time period since the people would most likely return the same result if asked again no? If it's a case where people didn't understand the issue then surely the correct way forward would be to explain to these people what the issue is and then allow them to cast a knowledgeable and informed vote on it.

If Ireland had have voted Yes would there be talk of another vote to make sure we understood the issues the first time round ?

Wacko wrote: »
    If Ireland had have voted Yes would there be talk of another vote to make sure we understood the issues the first time round ?

If large amounts of Yes voters were shown to have cast their vote ignorant of the issue or because of lies spread by the Yes campaign then yes, there should be one.

Sorry Obl but if you expect me to name sources of my information on a public forum (sources by the way that have been right so far!) you clearly don't understand the security issues involved in doing so.

Do not make any claims on this forum that you are not willing to provide sources for. If you do this again then I will ban you and delete your posts from this forum and this rule applies to everyone on both sides of the debate. I will not tolerate people making claims that they are unwilling to support on this forum.

Either back up the claims you made on the first post or remove them.

Who's to say they were ignorant?
    O' wait, those that want a re-vote. Their decision that the Irish public were ignorant of the issues, come to by their researchers!

Side issue: Even if we were all that ignorant, who let the public down in explaining the actual issues! They (F.F.) didn't exactly help themselves did they!

This issue is now going to split the country yet again....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

If large amounts of Yes voters were shown to have cast their vote ignorant of the issue or because of lies spread by the Yes campaign then yes, there should be one.

But there clearly wouldn't be, proving the fact that the big parties only want one answer. Also I would believe just as many Yes voters were just as ignorant as No voters and labeling No voters as being stupid is pretty unfair.

Who's to say they were ignorant?

Anyone who says they voted Yes or No because they didn't understand the issue would be by definition ignorant of the issue in question.

But there clearly wouldn't be, proving the fact that the big parties only want one answer.

a) I'm only saying what I think should happen, I'd be quite sceptical of it actually happening but I think a second referendum would be justified in both cases.

b) The big parties wanting only one answer is not a big deal if it isn't the answer that the people don't want to give. If the people genuinely want to vote No to Lisbon on cogent and informed grounds then no number of rerunning will change their answer. Multiple referendums are not an issue so long as people make informed decisions and vote based on cogent grounds.
    Also I would believe just as many Yes voters were just as ignorant as No voters and labeling No voters as being stupid is pretty unfair.

The surveys would seem to say otherwise though I would agree that many Yes voters probably were ignorant of the issue and that labelling No voters as a group as being stupid is both unfair and unwarranted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

personally i think we should hold another referendum to repeal nice

Either back up the claims you made on the first post or remove them.

I understand your position.
    Here is an article printed last week by a major paper to confirm what I mentioned above.

Main part
    8vn75t.jpg

Bottom part (thats cut off): 28bz5a9.jpg

Here is the article scanned and saved (jpeg x2) in a rar file: http://rapidshare.com/files/164453101/2008_11_16.rar
    Open and have a look.

I can pass you on the reporters name and email by pm should still feel you need to contact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I don't think they could get a ban on murder passed at the moment...

I have serious issues myself with Libertas.
    I am not a fan of Ganley, I have worries myself about his connections. Let me make that clear.

I do have concerns about the conduct of the present government and their methods of persuading the Irish people to come over to their side.
    Anything that is good for Ireland I am all for - genuinely.

I can also concerned that anyone, not including the present government, but future ones, can use such questionable methods to enforce their views and curtail others.

Why ten years? Why any amount of time?

For me, people who talk about the will of the people being ignored are just as bad as the FF'ers who want to ignore it. They are terrified of a yes vote in the next referndum, which would also be the will of the people.

Democracy is a complicated concept. Things aren't either democratic or undemocratic. For me the biggest problem I have with the argument is why should the people of the past bind us in any way? Yes it was only 6 months ago, but what if something massive changed? Say we realised that we needed to get something in the Lisbon treaty because it was absolutely essential to the Irish people, like 99% of people in polls said they would vote yes. Should we not do it because its against the will of the people in the past?

There's no doubt that FF are utterly undemocratic in their motives, but in terms of another referendum, its not anti-democratic, if anything, its more democratic.

Side issue: I think right now F.F. need this issue to rear its head like they need a hole in the head (as the saying goes) but their hands (or will) are being pushed by others outside our borders. And if we like the present Dail lot or not, I take issue with our elected leaders being pressurised in such a strong manner.

Hell, I dislike the present F.F. lot but I'd defend their right to stand their ground against European bullies like Sarkosy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If this is true then it is indeed very worrying, have you got any more information/sources for this Biggins?

Well like, the rule is kinda stupid to be honest. Or more accurately, the application of it is stupid. It states that media has to give 'fair and balanced' coverage to each side.

But they've interpreted this to mean equal coverage to each side. But to me, that's a load of crap.

If we had a referendum which was about killing children, the law would require them to give equal coverage to both sides of the arguments. The media have a responsibility to give fair and balanced coverage, but that doesn't mean giving a platform to the lunatics.
    Fair coverage, but not equal coverage.

If this is true then it is indeed very worrying, have you got any more information/sources for this Biggins?
    THERE IS no requirement for broadcasters to ensure equal airtime for both sides of a referendum debate, the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland has said.
    Speaking at the Joint Committee on the Constitution, Michael O'Keeffe, chief executive of the commission, said there was no requirement in its guidelines to ensure equal time for both sides in a referendum, but that there was a requirement for fair and balanced coverage.
    The committee is reviewing the referendum process in light of the rejection of the Lisbon Treaty referendum earlier this year

Just to name four (below) but its been reported on a few times by a number of different media circles.

Source: http://www.tribune.ie/breakingnews/article/2008/oct/23/broadcast-rules-on-referendum-campaigns-may-be-cha/

Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1112/1226408553762.html

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1111/broadcasting.html

Source: http://en.epochtimes.com/n2/ireland/equal-media-facilities-in-referendums-to-be-reviewed-6736.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Good news for rapists then. No means yes...

Advertisement