Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Referendum Vote Clock Is Ticking Down...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

But there will be a Plan D.

And E.

And F.

And G.

Until "They", not "We" get their way.

Whoever "They" are. Does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If asking you something twice will break your will to resist, I hope you're never entrusted with vital state secrets.

What gives your the impression it will only be twice ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dresden8 wrote: »

And E.

And F.

And G.

Does that crystal ball of yours do lottery numbers?
    Whoever "They" are. Does anybody know?
    Why don't you tell us?

jhegarty wrote: »
    What gives your the impression it will only be twice ?
    How many EU treaties have we voted on more than twice?

We never voted "No" twice, they stop when they get the correct result.

• Advertisement

We never voted "No" twice, they stop when they get the correct result.
    Do you honestly think there's the political will for a third referendum, given the hostility to the idea of a second?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And E.

And F.

And G.

I would hope there would be a plan in the event of a second No, but it's not one that could involve Ireland ratifying Lisbon.

Well, not really. If we vote No, we've got our way. If we vote Yes, we've got our way. Not you in the latter case, admittedly, but then not me in the former.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Do you honestly think there's the political will for a third referendum, given the hostility to the idea of a second?

If you ignore the people once, why wouldn't you do it 10 times...

If you ignore the people once, why wouldn't you do it 10 times...
    That's not an answer.

Why don't you tell us?

Because I don't know. I was asking you.

Anyway, what makes two the magic referendum number when they stop?

• Advertisement

Because I don't know. I was asking you.
    You're the one who brought "them" into it.
    Anyway, what makes two the magic referendum number when they stop?
    Same question I asked jhegarty. Maybe you'll actually answer it.

Oscar,Oscar, Oscar

Always answer a question with a question and then badger for an answer. Two votes appears to be yours, Scofflaw's and the Governments "limit" for referenda. The question is yours to answer. Why two, and no more?

Anyway "They" are "Those" who are pushing for the second vote you aren't convinced will happen, apparently.

As I've said before "We" are not marching on the Dail demanding a chance to rectify our "mistake". "We" seem rather pre-occupied with other stuff.

Oscar,Oscar, Oscar

Always answer a question with a question and then badger for an answer. Two votes appears to be yours, Scofflaw's and the Governments "limit" for referenda. The question is yours to answer. Why two, and no more?

I haven't suggested that two are a limit. There's nothing except politics to prevent the government asking the question once a week from here to Doomsday.
    Anyway "They" are "Those" who are pushing for the second vote you aren't convinced will happen, apparently.

As I've said before "We" are not marching on the Dail demanding a chance to rectify our "mistake". "We" seem rather pre-occupied with other stuff.

We are not marching on the Dáil demanding no second referendum either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why dont we have a running Eur-o-meter somewhere online (Boards would do it!) and people can vote all day every day. If it ever falls under 50% we automatically leave the union but if it peaks above 50% again then we are in again. Its where this nonsense of second referenda is going logically. If we ask once a year, why not once a season? Once a month? Are you still sure? Really?

Still sure?

It could be the ultimate "democracy", we could even have a mobile version of it, in case on the bus you changed your mind and wanted to vote differently.

The problem is that if they arent going to take "No" for an answer, they arent going to take "you have to wait X years before asking again" for an answer either.

DeV.

Two votes appears to be yours, Scofflaw's and the Governments "limit" for referenda. The question is yours to answer. Why two, and no more?
    I can't see a third referendum being held. You and others apparently think there will be several dozen - but you studiously avoid the rather pertinent question of whether there's the political will to do so.
    I think it will happen. I think it should happen. But I don't know that it will happen. And, despite your apparent confidence in your prognostication skills, you don't know that either.

As for "them", I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by dragging some unidentified third parties into a conversation and then demanding that I identify them.

DeVore wrote: »
    The problem is that if they arent going to take "No" for an answer, they arent going to take "you have to wait X years before asking again" for an answer either.
    I think you and others are missing the point that the other EU member states aren't taking "no" for an answer, because it's a bloody inconvenient answer for everyone concerned.

I believe Scofflaw drew the analogy: 27 people spend quite a lot of time planning a joint holiday. They've worked out the dates, booked the flights and the hotels, bought the clothes and swimwear, taken time off work... you get the idea.

A week before departure, one of them says "the missus doesn't want to go."

On what planet do the other 26 say "that's cool dude, we respect your decision, let's cancel the whole thing, so"?

Isn't it just passing likely that they'll put pressure on him to go back and try to talk her into it?

More to the point, does she really - really - think that because she doesn't want to go, they're all going to cheerfully cancel their plans?

DeVore wrote: »
    Why dont we have a running Eur-o-meter somewhere online (Boards would do it!) and people can vote all day every day. If it ever falls under 50% we automatically leave the union but if it peaks above 50% again then we are in again. Its where this nonsense of second referenda is going logically. If we ask once a year, why not once a season? Once a month? Are you still sure? Really?

Still sure?

It could be the ultimate "democracy", we could even have a mobile version of it, in case on the bus you changed your mind and wanted to vote differently.

DeV.

That's because the rest of the EU member states will not wait indefinitely. Is there any reason why they should?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

personally I'm happy they've decided to try to take another referendum before asking to leave the EU .....

there will not be a renegotiation of Lisbon. Therefore accept or get out. The other governments are giving us a slim chance to get it right but it won't last.

L2 will be a vote to stay in the E.U . People can bang on all they want about it [ and they will ] but that's bottom-lining it.

I think you and others are missing the point that the other EU member states aren't taking "no" for an answer, because it's a bloody inconvenient answer for everyone concerned.

Are you saying we will be compelled?

But I thought they "respected" our vote.

How can this be?

I believe Scofflaw drew the analogy: 27 people spend quite a lot of time planning a joint holiday. They've worked out the dates, booked the flights and the hotels, bought the clothes and swimwear, taken time off work... you get the idea.

A week before departure, one of them says "the missus doesn't want to go."

On what planet do the other 26 say "that's cool dude, we respect your decision, let's cancel the whole thing, so"?

Isn't it just passing likely that they'll put pressure on him to go back and try to talk her into it?

More to the point, does she really - really - think that because she doesn't want to go, they're all going to cheerfully cancel their plans?

Maybe the 27 husbands should have checked the plans with the 27 missuses before they planned their merry jaunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Maybe the 27 husbands should have checked the plans with the 27 missuses before they planned their merry jaunt.

With a pre-referendum referendum?

That is true - and indeed it would be nice to think that in the aftermath of the missus' initial rejection there would be a reasonable discussion of the whole thing, as opposed to her chucking all the pots out of the kitchen any time the subject is mentioned...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Are you saying we will be compelled?

But I thought they "respected" our vote.

How can this be?
    If you're not interested in a discussion, please say so and save me wasting my time composing replies to you.
    Maybe the missus showed no interest whatsoever in the plans until after they were made. Maybe after the holiday was booked someone whispered in her ear that the hubbies were planning to spend the holiday in a brothel and, rather than actually find out for herself, she threw a strop.

We can stretch the analogy any which way, but the central point is that we have a large group of countries to whom we seem to think we can permanently dictate their future without having any clear idea why we have a problem with that future. If you don't see why that's not a particularly tenable situation, I give up.

obl wrote: »
    With a pre-referendum referendum?

Oddly enough, that seems to be the way things are turning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Why two, and no more?

I'd say it would go as follows:

We have General election -Fianna Fail in power

We have Lisbon 1 - no vote

We have Lisbon 2 - no vote

We have General Election - Major party takes office (fianna fail/ Fina Gael)

we have lisbon 3 - no vote

now which of those are the actual important political events?

I'll give you a clue...Its not the referendums

The result of the referendum is a political anomaly because it does not match with the peoples other political decisions. Primarily the general election results.

hell Lisbon was straight after (in political terms) the general election yet somehow the *no* voting majority ignored the issue and waited until the referendum.

It doesnt make sense.

how can something go from not being an issue to being an issue in a matter of a single year?

You can have a third referendum overturning a yes vote if the government formed from the next general election is opposed to the Lisbon treaty.

that would have been the general election. Remember the party that enjoyed the biggest increase in seats between elections was still a Pro-Lisbon party (Fine Gael) Sinn Fein, who was the only major Anti-Lisbon party actually lost a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

When is the last EU treaty we rejected that we weren't asked to re-vote until we said yes?
    Just because there's no precedent doesnt mean it's unlikely. If before Nice you had said how many times have we been made vote again on a EU treaty cause we rejected it you'd have had the same strenght argument as you do now.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    When is the last EU treaty we rejected that we weren't asked to re-vote until we said yes?
    Just because there's no precedent doesnt mean it's unlikely. If before Nice you had said how many times have we been made vote again on a EU treaty cause we rejected it you'd have had the same strenght argument as you do now.
    OK: same question to you that two other people have refused to answer - do you think there's the political will to hold three referenda on Lisbon?

OK: same question to you that two other people have refused to answer - do you think there's the political will to hold three referenda on Lisbon?

Yes there is.

FF don't have a hope in hell of getting re-elected, getting this passed will guarantee some nice European jobs for the newly unemployed td's after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

from Fianna Fail government...No. havin 3+ referendums in one sitting will severely cripple them as a party and regardless of the result from any of the referendums they will really suffer in any elections that follow.

After 2 they will regardless of the EU revert to political self preservation and start happy cute clutter politics to rebuild reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Yes there is.

FF don't have a hope in hell of getting re-elected, getting this passed will guarantee some nice European jobs for the newly unemployed td's after the next election.

Perhaps that's why FF want another referendum, but what about the other political parties?

Advertisement