Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa Romeo's Reliability

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My dad has had one since new (1998) with no problems. I had one for two years, and other than a costly service which included new brake discs and pads all around, I didn't have any problems. I had to replace bulbs more frequently than either of my two subsequent cars, but less often than my Golf.

They do need more attention than other cars in the same range - you shouldn't wait until it's serviced before checking the oil level etc, but I didn't find that a big price to pay for a nicer drive. If you want a rock solid car that you can depend on day in, day out - then maybe there are better options, but it will most likely come at the price of having a pretty dull car.

I learnt my lesson with the depreciation though. I bought too soon and lost a good bit (less than what I lost on my subsequent car however), so if and when I buy another one, I will probably buy older. I certainly don't regret getting mine anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

bazz26 wrote: »
    At the end of the day Alfa Romeo have a poor reputation that is not deserved these days whether you spend a €5 or €50k on one.

Then again their poor reputation keeps used prices low which is a good thing.

Bazz,

Alfa have sent out their cars with wrong tracking - that is enough to give one pause.

Alfa dealers are extremly poor, and are ultimately my problem.

Alfa's may be a good second hand buy, but without fools like me there wont be second hand cars to pickup. Long term if there are not enough fools to buy new, Alfa themselves wont survive. Then there wont be any bargains to pick up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

smcgiff wrote: »
    Bazz,
    Alfa have sent out their cars with wrong tracking - that is enough to give one pause.

I can understand your frustration but sure you only need go through this list of recalls for all marques to see that every brand have faulty cars with problems and issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

miju wrote: »
    I can understand your frustration but sure you only need go through this list of recalls for all marques to see that every brand have faulty cars with problems and issues.

Yip - Every car I've ever owned has had recalls (though not necessarily particular to my car). These include a Rover, Saab and Audis. I've never been so disappointed overall though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

A recall on a cd player (as happened with my dads Kia Ceed) or a recall on my mates old astra is one thing. However, I would have thought tracking, is such a fundamental mechanical thing to a car, that it puts the road worthiness of the vehicle into question.
    I can understand smcgiff frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

I have had two 156's, never a moments trouble. City centre dealer in Cork on the South Tce very helpful, and they have a dedicated Alfa mechanic. Get one, mind it and you will be rewarded with a true drivers car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I have had two 156's, never a moments trouble. City centre dealer in Cork on the South Tce very helpful, and they have a dedicated Alfa mechanic. Get one, mind it and you will be rewarded with a true drivers car.

I've done some work on Alfa 156's, found funny kind of problems with them, throttle potentiometer on an 05 car, accelerator position sensor on the same car as far as I can recollect, seemed to be early for these kind of issues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Well my 2005 1.9 M-JTD now has 142,000 MILES on clock. No major work. Timing belts, servicing and a couple of wishbones. Passed the NCT 2 weeks ago.... first time.

If you want to drive from A to B and not just go from A to B an Alfa is for you. You must mind it, treat it to oil and a filter EVERY 6000 miles and service it by the book, You will smile every time you sit into it, every time you drop the boot and every time you see that signpost that means there is a bendy road ahead. Yes it has niggles, sometimes it says your full of juice when she's running empty. The radio is crap and some have strange electrical issues. But I just think that's its' personality!!! Pro's far far outweigh the Cons IMHO

alfas only go from A to A

AlfA

hehehe

only messin i love alfas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

digan wrote: »
    alfas only go from A to A

AlfA

hehehe

only messin i love alfas
    This has to be the worst excuse for digging up an old thread yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement