Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco price increases

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco should've brought down prices by this stage due to the sterling difference, price-conscious consumers and increased competition from other retailers.

Do people think Tesco is now more expensive than say Dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I dont know how they work out their prices. I went in about 2 weeks ago to buy some fusion blades. 4 cost 11.99, 8 cost 24.99. Thought bulk buys should be cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

harsea8 wrote: »

Never saw clothing in Tescos..must be a very small part of their sales if they are bringing in euro-sterling parity on it - they certainly won't be doin this for drink/groceries...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

In the bigger stores tesco has a very good selection on clothes, two of Limericks do clothes as far as I knopw so this is very welcome news. Take what you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont know how they work out their prices. I went in about 2 weeks ago to buy some fusion blades. 4 cost 11.99, 8 cost 24.99. Thought bulk buys should be cheaper?

Fusion blades(4) are 10.45,

Fusion blades (8) are 19.99

Fusion power blades (4) are 12.19.

Fusion power blades (8) are 23.99.

The packs look identical. People are always mixing them up and thinking they have been over charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Well surprise, surprise, as I suspected several weeks ago, Tesco has just announced its latest round of long-term ‘price cuts’. What you should all know, however, is that these cuts amount to nothing more than a lie and a huge marketing gimmick by Tesco. A few examples if you will:

Listerine Coolmint mouthwash 500ml, late 2008 price €5.19, early 2009 price €6.90, new long-term 'price cut' €5.19.

Dove 150ml deodorant spray, late 2008 price €3.39, early 2009 price €3.66, new long-term 'price cut' €3.39.

Sanex 500ml shower gel, late 2008 price €4.40, early 2009 price €4.75, new long term 'price cut' €4.55.

Dove 250ml shower gel (selected items in the range), late 2008 price €2.99, early 2009 price €3.29, new long-term 'price cut' €3.10.

Nivea 250ml shower gel (selected items in the range), late 2008 price €3.04, early 2009 price €3.35, new long-term 'price cut' €3.04.

Pantene 250ml shampoo (selected items in the range), late 2008 price €3.49, early 2009 price '€3.77', new long-term 'price cut' €3.49.

L’Oreal Elvive 250ml shampoo, late 2008 price €3.99, early 2009 price €4.31, new long-term price cut '€3.99'.

L’Oreal Elvive 400ml shampoo, late 2008 price €5.81, early 2009 price €6.25, new long-term 'price cut' €5.81.

And don’t even get me started about all the razor blades and razors which had all seen ridiculous price increases, decreases and then increases again over the past few weeks but have now all miraculously been reduced again.

There are literally dozens and dozens more examples. And of course this isn’t the first time this has been done:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article634347.ece

The NCA should investigate this blatant false advertising too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

So you discount that they are the first to make Sterling prices on goods directly equivalent in Euros?

That's only on clothing and nothing more. With regards to all groceries, electrical items, kitchenware etc. etc. we're still paying widely inflated prices. Besides, that's not the point. I'm talking about shoddy, phoney advertising here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

compsys wrote: »
    Well surprise, surprise, as I suspected several weeks ago, Tesco has just announced its latest round of long-term ‘price cuts’. What you should all know, however, is that these cuts amount to nothing more than a lie and a huge marketing gimmick by Tesco. A few examples if you will:

Listerine Coolmint mouthwash 500ml, late 2008 price €5.19, early 2009 price €6.90, new long-term 'price cut' €5.19.

Dove 150ml deodorant spray, late 2008 price €3.39, early 2009 price €3.66, new long-term 'price cut' €3.39.

Sanex 500ml shower gel, late 2008 price €4.40, early 2009 price €4.75, new long term 'price cut' €4.55.

Dove 250ml shower gel (selected items in the range), late 2008 price €2.99, early 2009 price €3.29, new long-term 'price cut' €3.10.

Nivea 250ml shower gel (selected items in the range), late 2008 price €3.04, early 2009 price €3.35, new long-term 'price cut' €3.04.

Pantene 250ml shampoo (selected items in the range), late 2008 price €3.49, early 2009 price '€3.77', new long-term 'price cut' €3.49.

L’Oreal Elvive 250ml shampoo, late 2008 price €3.99, early 2009 price €4.31, new long-term price cut '€3.99'.

L’Oreal Elvive 400ml shampoo, late 2008 price €5.81, early 2009 price €6.25, new long-term 'price cut' €5.81.

And don’t even get me started about all the razor blades and razors which had all seen ridiculous price increases, decreases and then increases again over the past few weeks but have now all miraculously been reduced again.

There are literally dozens and dozens more examples. And of course this isn’t the first time this has been done:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article634347.ece

The NCA should investigate this blatant false advertising too.

seems like extremely sharp practise if true - you seem to be keeping track of these - if you have receipts you should bring it to the attention of the NCA and the Advertising Standards Authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Dman001 wrote: »
    I've noticed that their DVDs have gone up too. They use to be €19.90 for the chart DVDs and now some of them are €22-€24.

I didn't know people even bought dvds in tesco. If I was to shop in Tesco I would stick to basics, wouldnt trust the *****r* for electrical etc. And I definitly wouldnt embarrass myself by buying Tesco clothes. Sure the staff get them for free and dont want to wear them, why would you pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i have noticed tesco price increases, they have slowly pushed their own brandss in while slowly upping price of the brand names, i now try shop in dunnes when i can, better meat and now slightly cheaper too, and least its somewhat irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

Heard on Saturday a car parked outside tesco and the shopper went in expect for a minute or too. When he came out he had his Pink ticket on his windscreen.

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    I didn't know people even bought dvds in tesco. If I was to shop in Tesco I would stick to basics, wouldnt trust the *****r* for electrical etc. And I definitly wouldnt embarrass myself by buying Tesco clothes. Sure the staff get them for free and dont want to wear them, why would you pay for it!

Which Tesco staff get clothing for free?

I've never got any......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 alex2710

What is funny is Tesco's new tagline Ireland's biggest discounter? That tagline would not even wash in the UK given that Asda is cheaper on more branded products than Tesco according to their advertising. Maybe Tesco is trying to delude themselves. They are expensive. I now shop in Aldi and Lidl with occasional shopping in Dunnes Stores. However, you still have to watch the two German retailers on pricing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

compsys wrote: »
    A few examples if you will:

what amazes me is that my local store (a small discount store) which I believe is independent, has a number of these items at considerably cheaper prices.

For example the Listerine 500ml mouthwash is €4.00
    The Dove deoderant is €2.00
    The pantene is €3.00 and they have The Gillete Fusion Power razor blades at €12.00 for a 4-pack.

And these arent specials. The prices have been like this for a long time.

My point is if this independent store can do it, then surely Tesco's with their huge buying power can do it also.

I think a lot of people are fooled by the 'power' of Marketing and it's a shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

pleba wrote: »
    My point is if this independent store can do it, then surely Tesco's with their huge buying power can do it also.

I think a lot of people are fooled by the 'power' of Marketing and it's a shame.
    Tesco is doing it; but Tesco don't care to get the lowest possible price to the consumer and but to maximise their profits.

And yes, marketing works, that why it is so popular stil and was before as well. Same with spam (last review I saw was that 1 in 100 spam mails where responded to back in 2007). People are not stupid but simply easily confused and not aware of the tricks used to rope them in.

This is nothing new; you only have to look at your bread in any store and what it contains. For example the "dark" bread is darkened by using coloring etc. and not actually using proper flour. Those big loafs are not properly kneaded but use air to blow them up and the list continues. Heck we only have to look on the consumer issue board to see the regularly reoccuring threads about ebay auctions at ridicolous prices (New Xbox 360 Elite for 120 Euro anyone?) or Jobs section for the offers of easy work from home that only require a sign up fee.

The long and short of it is that one is born every minute is wrong; it is not that they are born but that someone sees something that is "to good to miss" and get sweeped up in the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

loyatemu wrote: »
    seems like extremely sharp practise if true - you seem to be keeping track of these - if you have receipts you should bring it to the attention of the NCA and the Advertising Standards Authority.

Two points:

1. The NCA is a useless toothless wasteful useless toothless quango which prefers to "work with" shops rather than work for the consumer,

2. The Advertising "Authority" is a self-regulating group for advertisers which hasn't any power and indeed many advertisers don't even bother to respond (eg Ryanair)

You'd be better off making a complaint to my dead granny for all the good it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Tesco Shampoo Apple & Aloe Vera 750ml 62p.

In my local Tesco it is €1.59

http://www.comparesupermarketprices.co.uk/supermarketItems.aspx?search=shampoo&query=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Borrowed this from another thread. I expected Tesco to drop prices in late january, took them until May to reduce them slighty..but

Philip Boucher Hayes, RTÉ Radio 1 (16.35-1645, Thursday 14 May)
    It is truly fascinating, and is bound to be politically explosive.

Some of the main points are:

* Tesco's actual price decrease is 8%, not 22% as claimed by Tesco's chief executive, Tony Keohane, several times (he played the interviews with Tony Keohane).

* That 8% decrease is in fact only a decrease on Tesco's 10% plus price increase in its stores since Christmas.

* Tesco has now approached all Irish suppliers demanding a 20% decrease in their prices.

* While Tesco has claimed Irish suppliers would not be affected by the "decrease", all Irish suppliers have reported that almost overnight Tesco has reduced the shelf space for Irish produce

* In 1997 when Tesco entered the Irish market, Richard Bruton, who was minister for Enterprise, signed an agreement with Tesco whereby Tesco committed themselves to purchasing a huge amount of Irish products. There was no attempt by the Irish government to renew this agreement in 2002. This is certainly going to be called for now.

* Tesco refused to respond to any of the report or defend its position.

Paul Cullen's article in today Irish Times covers all of this more fully: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0514/1224246463054.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 alex2710

Bottom line is that all supermarkets inc. Aldi and Lidl will seek to optimise their profits, their raison d'etre is not lower prices for consumers. Tesco has been losing market share not only to the discounters, the North but also to Dunnes Stores. A number of their stores are extremely shabby and Dunnes Stores it is fair to say have upped their game in terms of store layout etc over the past number of years.

One has to be extremely careful about all claims from supermarkets. The NCA surveys are a joke given that they are only based on around 100 products maximum and there is a lot of consistency in the products across all the different surveys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I listened to that RTE report yesterday, but he did then clarify afterwards that it might be a bit unfair to solely mention Tesco as he said all big the retailers are doing it.

Not surprising to see that Tesco has started to increase prices once again on a vast range of its goods. It seems that Tesco's 'change for good' campaign was little more than a cheap marketing ploy, which most of the country and media fell for. While I'm not silly enough to think that a company can refrain from increasing its prices 'for good', I would have thought that when a supermarket announces a major campaign of price cuts under a 'change for good' slogan, they'd at least be able to keep the prices the same for at least 12 months or so. I've listed examples of some of the price increase below. Undoubtedly, Tesco will respond that they've decreased prices on a range of other goods, but this is seemingly always offset by an increase in prices at the same time on other ranges. As the country is still beset by deflation and sterling is hovering close to all time lows against the euro, the price increases seem hard to justify.

As I've said so many times before, this company is terrible for changing its prices all the time to try give the allusion that it's always reducing prices. The sad thing is, everyone seems to fall for it...

Radox shower gel 500ml: was 2.69 now 3.15
    Listerine coolmint mouthwash: was 3.54 now 3.95
    Gillette fusion razor blades 8pk: was 22.99 now 24.49
    Dove 150ml deodorant was 2.25: now 2.59
    Dove 250ml deodorant range: was 3.49 now 3.95
    L'Oréal 400ml shampoo range: was 3.99 now 4.25
    Tropicana 1litre: was 2.09 now 2.29

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

have no time for tesco and i only purchase stuff thats on offer
    or stuff and i cant get anywhere else.

The price of toiletries in particular are a disgrace here
    especially for the liks of gillette fusions.

I buy the bulk of my shopping in aldi as it is and supervalu
    as they do have decent offers on meat.
    I couldnt ever see myself doing a full shop in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i paid 1.85 for a bag of flour today, couldn't believe it, the same bag i brought up north in tesco was 52p.

Looks like i'll be restarting my northern run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

theyre cute hoors tesco
    if you buying certain stuff there every week you notice
    how sneaky they are
    in my case a pack of 4 frys turkish delights were just under
    2 euro before xmas and in that time its gone up a little over 60c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

snaps wrote: »
    i paid 1.85 for a bag of flour today, couldn't believe it, the same bag i brought up north in tesco was 52p.

Looks like i'll be restarting my northern run again.

why not go around the corner and buy it in aldi / lidl.

or stay in tesco / dunnes and buy their own brand.
    Also tesco NI flour is a UK milled product & 1.5kg in size.

Tesco Ireland is an odlums product & 2kg in size.

Exact comparisons
    Allinsons Strong Flour 1.5kg tesco UK £1.37 (€1.73), tesco ire €1.85
    Tesco Value UK 49p for 1.5kg (41c / kilo) Tesco Value Ire 2kg 99c (49.5c / kilo)

when comparing like with like, size with size, the difference is a lot smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

91011 wrote: »
    why not go around the corner and buy it in aldi / lidl.

or stay in tesco / dunnes and buy their own brand.
    Also tesco NI flour is a UK milled product & 1.5kg in size.

Tesco Ireland is an odlums product & 2kg in size.

Exact comparisons
    Allinsons Strong Flour 1.5kg tesco UK £1.37 (€1.73), tesco ire €1.85
    Tesco Value UK 49p for 1.5kg (41c / kilo) Tesco Value Ire 2kg 99c (49.5c / kilo)

when comparing like with like, size with size, the difference is a lot smaller.

Your quite correct, it was a tesco own brand, and i didnt realise there is a 500g difference in weight.

Ive learnt now to shop around, watch out for savings between Dunnes, Supavalue and tesco.

Keeping an eye on flyers as well is a good idea, even the prices between Centra and Supavalu is amazing.

Ive only used Aldi/Lidl abroad, i dont have one locally here, but i think ones being planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

I've noticed this too, they sort of have me though because my boyfriend and I are both veggie and like to buy quorn products which aren't on sale in Aldi or Lidl. If they started stocking veggie options (apart from veg and basics) I would swap!

Advertisement