Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Choices Choices Choices!

Options
  • 16-11-2008 4:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok folks, if money was no object etc etc, which car would be more appealing, all '08 models:

- VW Passat
    - Opel Insignia
    - Volvo S40
    - Ford Mondeo

Aside from "this car is better cos it goes faster blah blah", try think of the whole picture. i.e. creature comforts etc etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

All but the Passat for me.

Would have to choose the Insignia though, looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

ya, Insignia or Mondeo would ne my choices. I'd say drive those 2 and go with personal choice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

vw insignia for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Holsten wrote: »
    Would have to choose the Insignia though, looks brilliant.
    Personally I don't like it, especially the tacky chrome strip across the back that it inherited from the Vectra. Don't like the folds in the side panels either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The S40 is a segment smaller than the other 3.

For creature comforts spend about €35k on a Mondeo Ghia X Auto Diesel.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1233926

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The S40 is a based on the focus and is much smaller than the others , but if you do'nt need the space , worth considering.
    Forget the passat. They are crap.
    So its a choice between the ford or opel.
    I' would pick the mondeo although the opel has had good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you could throw the Mazda 6 in there aswell and the awesome Alfa 159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

faceman wrote: »
    Ok folks, if money was no object etc etc, which car would be more appealing apalling, all '08 models:

- VW Passat
    - Opel Insignia
    - Volvo S40
    - Ford Mondeo

Aside from "this car is better cos it goes faster blah blah", try think of the whole picture. i.e. creature comforts etc etc.

Thanks!

Fixed that for you!

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    you could throw the Mazda 6 in there aswell and the awesome Alfa 159

Accord and Legacy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

had the same decision to make back in June, went for a Highline Passat, by far the best spec for you money, and has the feel of an executive car compared to the Mondeo. Best quality feel anyway. Insignia looks nice tho, havent been in one yet tho.

S40 in tiny. although if you are willing to spend a little extra and dont mind the size the Jag X-type 2l diesel in around 34grand for the limited edition model with excellent spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mondeo in a high spec. Insignia looks nice, but I'd want to see the interior - traditionally they're awful.

Mazda 6 = Mondeo, but I wouldn't touch the Mazda diesel.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Im thinking of switching from car allowance to company car cos I reckon over a year long period it would work out cheaper! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

faceman wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

Im thinking of switching from car allowance to company car cos I reckon over a year long period it would work out cheaper! :)

Have you done the BIK workings correctly??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ninty9er wrote: »
    Have you done the BIK workings correctly??

Not yet!

The company car covers all car related and fuel/tax/insurance costs. I just pay the poxy BIK.

Car allowance also gives me a fuel card but i pay everything else myself. and it seems to be costly given the mileage i do. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

New car magazine did a review on the Insignia, and I must say, inside and out, its stunning. They reckon it could really give the Mondeo a run in the segment.

whiterebel wrote: »
    New car magazine did a review on the Insignia, and I must say, inside and out, its stunning. They reckon it could really give the Mondeo a run in the segment.

Ya, I think the Mondeo will date poorly. It's a big car, but it looks even bigger than it is, kind of awkward looking.

Advertisement