Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Maps for Gamin 200W

• 16-11-2008 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Just bought one in PC World for 129.95. The chap who sold it to me said you could download European maps. It's a UK & Ireland Sat nav. Is he right?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He was right that you can buy European maps,as either a DVD or on separate memory cards:

Garmin Shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Any idea how much? Not too keen on paying a lot! Are there any free downloads?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are lots of things you can download on the internet if you know how to use Google.

There are some sources of legal free maps available though. Here are some free routable maps for various place of various quality created from OpenStreetMap.org.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

You will get a free upgrade to the latest maps by registering on the Garmin website.

As you go through the process of downloading the maps you will be asked if you want just the UK & IRL maps or the full Euro maps.

The 200 has only enough internal memory for the UK & Irl maps so you will have to purchase a 2 Gb SD card to put the Euro maps on, but that should be the only cost you incur. (was like that for me anyway)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any idea how much? Not too keen on paying a lot! Are there any free downloads?
    If you actually want/need European maps, you'd have been better off (financially) just buying a unit with European maps to start with. The difference in price between a UK & Ireland model, and the otherwise equivalent All Europe model, is much less than what you pay for to upgrade one to the other.

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    The 200 has only enough internal memory for the UK & Irl maps so you will have to purchase a 2 Gb SD card to put the Euro maps on, but that should be the only cost you incur. (was like that for me anyway)

Thanks! Really only need UK & Ireland and maybe one other country. Can I just download one country or do I have to do all of Europe? Is there a charge for the download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks! Really only need UK & Ireland and maybe one other country. Can I just download one country or do I have to do all of Europe? Is there a charge for the download?
    You can BUY individual maps from Garmin for certain areas of Europe, not really down to individual country level, as well (they're not in the business of giving things away for free!), but rather predictably, you'll pay through the nose for them both compared to the complete European maps, or buying a GPS with the maps on it in the first place.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9122#mapTab

You download the complete set of European maps to you PC, you can then choose to load up whichever countries you want onto your sat nav. If it only Ireland, UK and one other country you might just be lucky and not need the SD card, but I can't say for sure as I haven't tried doing it that way. It will depend on the total size of the files.

If your buying an SD card, check on the Garmin website for the list of compatible cards. I first bought a Tevion card from ALDI but my 300 wouldn't read it, so I then got a Kingston which worked fine. Check the likes of Mymemory.co.uk mx2.com or memoryc.com for the best deal on the SD card.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    You download the complete set of European maps to you PC, you can then choose to load up whichever countries you want onto your sat nav. If it only Ireland, UK and one other country you might just be lucky and not need the SD card, but I can't say for sure as I haven't tried doing it that way. It will depend on the total size of the files.

If your buying an SD card, check on the Garmin website for the list of compatible cards. I first bought a Tevion card from ALDI but my 300 wouldn't read it, so I then got a Kingston which worked fine. Check the likes of Mymemory.co.uk mx2.com or memoryc.com for the best deal on the SD card.

Thanks. Checked their website and it seems to be 99 euro to download European maps :eek: Should have got the 250W instead (except they didn't have it in stock).

Thanks. Checked their website and it seems to be 99 euro to download European maps :eek: Should have got the 250W instead (except they didn't have it in stock).

You don't need to pay €99 for the European maps, read what I have told you.

If you register your 200W now you are entitled to a free upgrade to the latest version maps which just came out a few weeks ago. When you are downloading this FREE update Garmin will offer you a FREE upgrade to Full European maps.

The only circumstances where this will not work is if you unit already has the latest maps on it straight out of the box. Or if Garmin changes it's policy on it.

I got this free upgrade to European maps from UK & IRL maps last year when I got the new version FREE! And others have posted of getting the same this year!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement