Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing in cork

Options
  • 16-11-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi I'm new to pike fishing , trout and salmon usally . i was wondering if amyone could tell me any good pike spots in cork or around cork :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

The Iniscarra reservoir was as good as anywhere I have fished in Ireland. One over thirty to my rod and many 30lb+ fish witnessed or reliably informed of capture.
    Now the lake has been hammered to death by certain members of our fn community (other fn's would put the most conservative minded angler to shame)..the fisheries board brought in a permit to fish it, 30e or your rod gets confiscated, the words, horse, stable door, bolted come to mind..they still massed a quality selection of aldi's finest rods week in and week out but the damage has been done.
    There are still big pike in the lake but the numbers are way down and will take a long while to recover.
    I had some amazing summer evening fishing off the top on either the fly or poppers a few years ago, still had a few fish last year to 19lb but the numbers and quality are way down.
    I would recommend waiting till January, buy a permit, and do some exploring of the lake, find some quiet area off the beaten track and give it a good stint with deadbaits and you may land a whopper, just be sure to put her back safely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pavol nagy

i o not like all this talk about me , we like to fish and eat fish why so wrong with this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Nothing wrong in a "PUT AND TAKE" fishery. That is ... a fishery where losses to anglers are made good by restocking with new fish.
    These are a small number of the Irish fishing waters fowever.

But most Irish inland waters are managed as "SPORT FISHERIES". In this type of fishery the fish are replaced by natural spawning over time. But if fish are removed faster than they can grow back, the fishing goes bad and takes years to recover.
    We have been in this situation before.
    In the 1950 - 1970s period Irish anglers killed most of what they caught. The fishing was not good. We learned that the fish have to be returned for the fishing to stay at a high level, and that is how sport fisheries came to be.
    Many experienced anglers see things going back to the way they were and know the fishing is deteriorating.
    They think of anglers who kill their fish, as unpleasant people who steal the other anglers fish, and destroy the fishing for everybody. Bad feelings and anger follow.
    This is why the catch limit laws have been introduced and there is pressure to strengthen those laws even more.

It is worst for the species which regenerate slowly, like pike, carp, tench, bream in freshwater, and bass in saltwater.
    In those cases Irish anglers will not even say where they catch their fish because of the inevitable result, other anglers going there and removing the fish that live there.

This is why, when a new angler comes on this forum and asks "where can I catch a lot of fish?" the forum members give no advice, or vague or misleading advice, or repeat what is public knowledge, in answer. In other forums any post which names a place are deleted by moderators. We have not reached that stage here yet.

There is also a genetic aspect to this. Beginners kill the biggest fish they catch. This removes the fast growing fish from the gene pool of a water, and the small slow growing fish live to spawn. Soon the growth rate is reduced, and we are fishing for lakes and rivers full of small fish. The full value of large fish (to a fishery) has only recently been recognised. This is why experienced anglers treat the large fish so carefully, and return them. They know the big fish of today father the big fish of tomorrow.
    But experienced anglers also know what beginners do to big fish they catch, and want to show off, and tell everyone about where they caught it..
    So they can not help the beginners in this way, until after the beginners learn more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

pavol nagy wrote: »
    i o not like all this talk about me , we like to fish and eat fish why so wrong with this

yello
    Hope you're not eating any fish you catch at the minute pavol have heard plenty of bad stories about pike being taken from lakes and rivers. so much for the rule of 1 fish per day! :(

• Advertisement

I dont think he eats many fish, he just like to catch them and he seems to have had a few bites here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pavol nagy

i think fishi s tasty meal and good for blood in heart, i think irish is jealous we are better fisherman than you and too also better at football as we will win you tonight

Dang it pavol, a splashy cast and now you've spooked your quarry...

Dare I suggest the shooting forums and see if you can flush out a few birds

i think fishi s tasty meal and good for blood in heart, i think irish is jealous we are better fisherman than you and too also better at football as we will win you tonight

it's the likes of you that has messed up this country's rivers and lakes ya gimp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Pavol Nagy banned. That kind of behaviour is not tolerated on this site.

Seanie, if you've an issue with another user please report the post.

• Advertisement

moderator I'd like to report pavol Maggy for eating pike

thats not a laughing matter

Seanie, I've given you one infraction already. Would you like me to make it a ban?

Amz wrote: »
    Pavol Nagy banned. That kind of behaviour is not tolerated on this site.

Seanie, if you've an issue with another user please report the post.
    Amz wrote: »
    Seanie, I've given you one infraction already. Would you like me to make it a ban?

Na dont want a ban.

just didnt like those comments being made by that banned poster.

the 2 posts by cool Wings and stylie emphasise the importance of the problems currently being faced by fishing community and the amount of illegal poaching and fishing that is going on. just take a look at this or any other fishing forum. Chopperdog made a good post on this previously.
    it spoils the enjoyment for the rest of us.:mad:

Seanie, I appreciate your concerns and I was not happy to read Pavol's posts. However resorting to name calling was not the ideal way to address your concerns.

Just bear that in mind please.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flah

that kind of nonsense makes me angry , its ignoramous's like maggy that give the fn's bad names

fair play to you seanie for standing up to them,

(not impressed with the moderator though)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

This thread is Hilarious!!!!

Advertisement