Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy...extra subject

Options
  • 16-11-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

just wondering is accountancy a hard to study as an extra subject in one year??

Comments

Brooke01 wrote: »
    just wondering is accountancy a hard to study as an extra subject in one year??

I'm not too sure about it's difficulty; but I'm sure it'll bore you to death within the year, eliminating the need for you to take it up in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lcaccounting

I'm not too sure about it's difficulty; but I'm sure it'll bore you to death within the year, eliminating the need for you to take it up in the first place.

I do not think the above comment is in any way helpful. It is achievable within one year if you practice questions on a very regular basis. You would need to devote about 5 to 7 solid hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

it definetely is possible but in my opinion it requires a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

Also accounting is one of the most predictable courses on the leaving cert. of about 25/30 topics you can narrow them down to 9/10 for definite as there is 8 questions on the paper. my teacher made out a table and has been correctly guessing the topics that will come up for 5 years now, one year he said nine instead of eight tho.

We spend most of our class talking anyway, and yet we are suposably ahead and will still be finished before the mocks. which is great.

• Advertisement

Also accounting is one of the most predictable courses on the leaving cert. of about 25/30 topics you can narrow them down to 9/10 for definite as there is 8 questions on the paper. my teacher made out a table and has been correctly guessing the topics that will come up for 5 years now, one year he said nine instead of eight tho.

We spend most of our class talking anyway, and yet we are suposably ahead and will still be finished before the mocks. which is great.

Really. Thanks for the help :D

So is it hard to get a C3 in higher level accountancy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

If the paper is anything like last years then...YES.
    They put on a question that hadn't been on in 10years...Disaster for loads of people...
    I scraped a D2. I was hoping for a C1 +

Our teacher said there was a very small number of A's this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Id say considering how bad the paper was this year, and how bady it went for nearly everyone, (me :() they should make it a little easier (or at least more predictable) next time.

The 08 paper was made up by a new dude, so I suppose he decided to go mad, and put on some questions that no-one expected to see.

I remember on the day, it was my last exam and I just wanted to get it done.
    There was just 4 of us in the room. We had been told all that year that Manufacturing Accounts were coming up.
    We all opened up the book, and I swear to got, my heart plopped on the desk, everyone sighed loudly, and just stared at the page.

Thank bloody god for the Club Accounts and whatever the other 60 marker was:o
    But then the prick decided to put on a 100 marker Suspense, that had some questions that I had never seen before.
    And the theory, oh god the theory!!!!!
    I spoofed my arse off in that exam.
    Ultimately I ran out of time, got part A of the Marginal Budgeting question done, the whole question was about twice as long as it should have been.:mad:

OK. Rant over:o

As I was saying, before I REALLY felt the need to vent some 6 month old anger, they next paper shouldn't be as bad.
    Are you aiming towards the 09 or 10 paper?

Considering how bad the success rate was this year, hopefully this should get your man to ease up a bit.
    He got a load of complaints as far as I know.

I somehowe managed to get a C3, so they do tend to find marks somewhere, go knows, they sure as hell didn't find it in my Cash Flow Statement:o!

Anywho, as was said before, all you can do is put the work in, do questions over and over again.

A bit of advice from me though.....expect the unexpected, and try to be prepared for anything. Don't restrict yourself.

Best of luck!!!!!!:)

Id say considering how bad the paper was this year, and how bady it went for nearly everyone, (me :() they should make it a little easier (or at least more predictable) next time.

The 08 paper was made up by a new dude, so I suppose he decided to go mad, and put on some questions that no-one expected to see.

There was just 4 of us in the room. We had been told all that year that Manufacturing Accounts were coming up.
    We all opened up the book, and I swear to got, my heart plopped on the desk, everyone sighed loudly, and just stared at the page.

But then the prick decided to put on a 100 marker Suspense, that had some questions that I had never seen before.
    Ultimately I ran out of time, got part A of the Marginal Budgeting question done, the whole question was about twice as long as it should have been.:mad:

As I was saying, before I REALLY felt the need to vent some 6 month old anger, they next paper shouldn't be as bad.

Considering how bad the success rate was this year, hopefully this should get your man to ease up a bit.

I somehowe managed to get a C3, so they do tend to find marks somewhere, go knows, they sure as hell didn't find it in my Cash Flow Statement:o!

Anywho, as was said before, all you can do is put the work in, do questions over and over again.

A bit of advice from me though.....expect the unexpected, and try to be prepared for anything. Don't restrict yourself.

thnx :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I got a B2! Still repeating though! :( Been looking through the papers, Manufacturing should come up, and the incomplete records where you do balance sheet first, probably a club account and for a budget, probably cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i wouldn't recommended it really...considering there is only 6 months left...

and as those guys mentioned above, there is this new guy..hmm =this yrs paper could be really bad too, accounting used to have the name out there, becoz its really predicable, however, my teacher told us DO NOT BANK ON QUESTIONS.

well, they are 'easier options' out there..
    ag economics ( its actually fairly handy if you do business, and i think you do?)
    and ag science maybe .

anyway good luck ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Paddy001 wrote: »
    I got a B2! Still repeating though! :( Been looking through the papers, Manufacturing should come up, and the incomplete records where you do balance sheet first, probably a club account and for a budget, probably cash

wow B2 is fairly good,
    and don't any chances this year =P

my teacher was on this accounting teacher meeting things, she said that chef examiner said'last yrs student was penalised becoz they were 'gambling'

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

~Candy~ wrote: »
    wow B2 is fairly good,
    and don't any chances this year =P

my teacher was on this accounting teacher meeting things, she said that chef examiner said'last yrs student was penalised becoz they were 'gambling'

Everybody does.... Every year! I didn't gamble, could do it all, but it just threw me, hadn't revised them topics as much. A Few in my class got A2's but no A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

It'd be difficult if you didn't work for it. Honours is quite difficult - such things as Final accounts, Ratios, Interpretations etc. need practice to be able to pull them off. I find the workings are the hardest parts of some questions (Q1 especially).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

My accounting teacher did it the course in 1 year(he repeated) but he said he had to put loads of work into it eg doing tests at the weekend. Its possible but if your aiming for the 09 exams its gonna be pretty hard to pull off.

Animo wrote: »
    My accounting teacher did it the course in 1 year(he repeated) but he said he had to put loads of work into it eg doing tests at the weekend. Its possible but if your aiming for the 09 exams its gonna be pretty hard to pull off.

even for a c3 on hl paper ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Gah i did it and i'm regretting it now. Way too much work, i get 2 hours of accouting homework a night alone and about 4 on the weekends. Also my teacher is only in his second year of teaching accountancy so that's making it all the more difficult.

I reccomend other people to take up something else.. like Applied maths! <3 applied maths...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Well I suppose a C3 is managable. Something that I find good about accountancy is that its just a method that you learn off. If you can understand the basics you should be able to do most questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

my freind sat this in her leavin cert 08/09
    shes very diligent and worked really hard 4 the 2 years and loved it
    however everyone else in the class hated it...an i mean hated it:mad:
    so i guess it depends on your efforts an if it interests you:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement