Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steel Cage matches are ridiculous

• 16-11-2008 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Just think these matches are ridiculously stupid. Can win by pinfall, climbling over the top or escaping out through the door.
    Yes i realise its for entertainment purposes, but, ow many times in the Batista v Jericho match was the door open, and either one of them could have just jumped out of the ring when the door was open, but didnt!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They are way overused these days aswell..We see nearly at least 5 a year..Sick of em..Same goes for HIAC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

I think this is completley stupid as well. If they took away the door stipulation it would be better. Just as the bell rings whats stopping one of the guys just legging it out in under two seconds? (other than booking of course!) At one stage Jericho was hanging off the edge and actually looked as if he was struggling to actually keep himself from falling out the door. It does nothing for wrestlings already questionable credibility. Get rid of the door stip. Everything else is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bring back the old blue solid bars cage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

forbesii wrote: »
    I think this is completley stupid as well. If they took away the door stipulation it would be better. Just as the bell rings whats stopping one of the guys just legging it out in under two seconds? (other than booking of course!) .

Yeah the next time Taker is in a cage match when is is in the ring, spending 20 minutes taking of his hat, the other lad should just leg it out of the ring. Oh thats how they should end the streak!
    :p

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah the next time Taker is in a cage match when is is in the ring, spending 20 minutes taking of his hat, the other lad should just leg it out of the ring. Oh thats how they should end the streak!
    :p

No becuase they have to wait for the bell to ring to officialy start the match..It would just be pointless of Takers opponent to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

callaway92 wrote: »
    They are way overused these days aswell..We see nearly at least 5 a year..Sick of em..Same goes for HIAC

What are you on about?

There was just one HIAC this year, last year or in 2006.

No becuase they have to wait for the bell to ring to officialy start the match..It would just be pointless of Takers opponent to do that.

He'd look sheepish walking back.:D

What are you on about?

There was just one HIAC this year, last year or in 2006.

5 in the last 5 years...The novelty has worn off imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

NWA cage matches were always superior.

5 in the last 5 years...The novelty has worn off imo

i wont dispute that fact that they have gone staler than month old pat the baker bread.

But you did say 5 a year.

You'd think that often Cage matches they would be able to put loads of ideas into the match, like the MITB match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

yea i think if they took the door out of it, it would be alot more believable tbh.
    i just thought it looked so stupid, batista was trying to push/pull jericho back inot the ring,batista finnaly puts him back into the ring,his back turned to the door, and in my head i was just thinking, eh why doesnt he just turn around and jump out?!! its daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

krudler wrote: »
    Bring back the old blue solid bars cage!

Here bloody here! That thing looked the business. I think though it was pretty rough when slammed into it though, what with it being steel and all.

You guys know they're not actually hurting each other and they're all on good terms, right?

Well they're portraying characters that have battled, fought and wrestled each other to exhaustion. They are supposed to be very tired and worn out. Thats why they don't shoot out doors or up ladders like marathon runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Yeah we know that kkv but at one stage Batista was standing outside the ropes with an open door he had just thrown Jericho into the ring and then proceeded to step through the ropes after him, cmon though there is suspending believe and just plain stupidity, I know that wasn't the finish to the match but try to avoid putting yourself in the position for a finish before the planned finish

You guys know they're not actually hurting each other and they're all on good terms, right?

Well they're portraying characters that have battled, fought and wrestled each other to exhaustion. They are supposed to be very tired and worn out. Thats why they don't shoot out doors or up ladders like marathon runners.

Yeah but I myself like a degree of semi-believability. I just try to tell myself that Batista wanted to beat up Jericho so badly that he took that option over walking out. Gid rid of the door, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

remember Vince vs HHH in a cage match, this year or last... Vince was doing the whole "climb over the outside only to be grabbed at the last minute and pulled back in again" thing. Only HHH was too late and Vince was trying to stop himself from falling but couldnt. so he slipped down too far and had to climb out... ending the match prematurely. was such a crap finish.

lol.. and who could forget angle trying in vain for 5 minutes to tear the door off the cell to stop Lesnar F5ing Paul Heyman before eventually having to climb in over the top. that was comedy gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I see the OP's point but I think the door is there really just as a tool in the match to create more suspense and add variety to it.

And there have been some great, famous spots with it.

Look up Mark Henry cage botch on yooooootube..Tis funny..He cant get the door open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I loved the spot in one of the cage matches (cant remember which) where the bell rang and instantly JEricho (i think) made a ridiculous dive for the door, then whoever he was wrestling pulled him and to the middle and did a ridiculous dive for it themselves. WIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

remember Vince vs HHH in a cage match, this year or last... Vince was doing the whole "climb over the outside only to be grabbed at the last minute and pulled back in again" thing. Only HHH was too late and Vince was trying to stop himself from falling but couldnt. so he slipped down too far and had to climb out... ending the match prematurely. was such a crap finish.

lol.. and who could forget angle trying in vain for 5 minutes to tear the door off the cell to stop Lesnar F5ing Paul Heyman before eventually having to climb in over the top. that was comedy gold.
    lol and Brock walking around for ages with the guy on his shoulders haha

• Advertisement

Look up Mark Henry cage botch on yooooootube..Tis funny..He cant get the door open

Ha ha. What makes it funnier is tazz' comments.

"What the hell is he pointing at?!" (towards the door)

The best bit was the fan goading him "c'mon your the worlds strongest man"

He rips the door off easily then like it should have when it was gimmicked to to begin with, couldnt you have done that the first time haha

EdK wrote: »
    The best bit was the fan goading him "c'mon your the worlds strongest man"

He rips the door off easily then like it should have when it was gimmicked to to begin with, couldnt you have done that the first time haha

Obviously wasnt his fault that the door wasnt weakened like it should have been. :pac:

Say he was fairly crapping it that it was taking so long.

And to think, thats what made it to air, they couldn't have had it edited slightly? Or maybe it was. :p

Think he legit broke the lock cuz the door wouldnt break?

I think so, if you look at the ref and batistas face they look kinda shocked and relived at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

did the ref hand him the key around the 1.37 mark?

When's the last time WWE had a steel cage match on PPV ?
    and When's the last time they had a steel cage match for their main event on PPV ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

When's the last time WWE had a steel cage match on PPV ?
    and When's the last time they had a steel cage match for their main event on PPV ?

Judgment Day 2008, HHH v Orton

Jeff had an awesome cage match with Umanga back in January, the crowd eat it up and Jeff's whisper in the wind from the top of the cage was class.

• Advertisement

There is another cage match coming up mighty soon

There is another cage match coming up mighty soon

Wha?

Wha?
    taker v show at next weeks smackdown I think

Ah yes, i remember that now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It'll be crap,
    Show doesn't fully understand the rules.

:D
    amacachi wrote: »
    It'll be crap,
    Show doesn't fully understand the rules.

christ for a veteran he is not very smart is he? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

:D

christ for a veteran he is not very smart is he? :D

I'm just judging from the casket match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally cage matches were designed to end a big, heated feud. Two guys would battle it out in a cage, where nobody could get in or get out. Now the winner of the match is the guy who runs away from the fight. Ridiculous.

Do any of ye have this tape ?
    It was released yonks ago, has loads of aul cage matches from 80's. I think there's even a 6man tag cage match :pac:
    I rented it once, loved it , then hunted it down on the geebay.

steel01.JPG

On the topic of cage matches:
    WWE Presents "RAW Live"
    UNITED STATES
    NEW YORK • Madison Square Garden • 28 December 2008

JOHN CENA vs. CHRIS JERICHO STEEL CAGE MATCH FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

SHAWN MICHAELS vs. RANDY ORTON

The WWE returns home and New York City will explode as the WWE Universe will decide the fate of World Heavyweight Champion
    Chris Jericho and John Cena
    when they collide in a 18 foot steel cage match, in which two men battle and flesh meets steel and bodies and careers are ended.

The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels will face "The Legend Killer" Randy Orton in a "Sweet Chin Music" vs. the "RKO" match. Who will be victorious and who will be defeated?

Plus 20 other WWE Raw superstars including "The Animal" Batista, Rey Mysterio, "The self-proclaimed Wrestling God" JBL, "The Big Red Machine" Kane, WWE Women's Champion Beth Phoenix, CM Punk, Kofi Kingston and many more.

Wait:
    The WWE returns home and New York City will explode as the WWE Universe will decide the fate of
    World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho and John Cena

Isnt the WWE Universe the fans?

On the topic of cage matches:

Wait:

Isnt the WWE Universe the fans?

18ft steel cage ? Jesus. It was 16foot Jim Ross said Mankind was thrown from the hell in a cell! I think the cage used to be "15feet". I miss that old blue cage.

btw comic book, shouldn't you have that spoilered ?

edit: I've dug out that cage match tape from the attic, gonny sit down and watch it now :D

• Advertisement

18ft steel cage ? Jesus. It was 16foot Jim Ross said Mankind was thrown from the hell in a cell! I think the cage used to be "15feet". I miss that old blue cage.

btw comic book, shouldn't you have that spoilered ?

edit: I've dug out that cage match tape from the attic, gonny sit down and watch it now :D

Is it 18 foot from the floor? Maybe its a new cage? :O

Thanks for noticing that about the tags. :) Ive also not been referred to as comic book. :p

Well the cage they use has that lighting rig on top of it that they use to hoist it up and down so that adds an extra foot and a bit. I'd doubt it's 18 feet from the floor to the top though. I could be wrong, and usually am. Especially when gestimating heights.

Do ye people consider a Hell in a Cell match a cage match ?

Advertisement