Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed mattress

Options
  • 16-11-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Question. My mattress is like sleeping on a bed of nails, is it up to me to replace it or can i kindly demand a replacement from the landlord? bare in mind I moved in two months ago.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

demand

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Worst landlord can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭chaotic_vr

demand one and if he says no steal his one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping on a strong tough matress is good for your back. Helps it keep it's posture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Sleeping on a strong tough matress is good for your back. Helps it keep it's posture

I'd take a comfortable nights sleep over good posture any day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

rip it a bit so a spring sticks out - then he has to, if he doesnt rip a scar on your side from it and sue! ching ching

mods shouldnt this be in the matteress forums?

The Bollox wrote: »
    I'd take a comfortable nights sleep over good posture any day

When you hit 60 and you can't reach around to wipe your bottom you may regret that. I've a thick strong orthapedic matress and it does me wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

When you hit 60 and you can't reach around to wipe your bottom you may regret that. I've a thick strong orthapedic matress and it does me wonders.

when I'm 60 I'll be a multi-millionare and will have beautiful, young, female slaves servants to wipe for me

The Bollox wrote: »
    when I'm 60 I'll be a multi-millionare and will have beautiful, young, female slaves servants to wipe for me

Like the queen you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Like the queen you mean ?

Remember Wayne & Waynetta, the two slobs from Harry Enfields show. They got rich and had somebody hired to wipe their ass's and installed a Pizza Hut in their council flat with its own moped.

Here is the only clip I could find of them worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.
    Feel free to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

As a temporary solution you can lay a douvet under your sheet! worked wonders for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Firstly there's no point in demanding a new mattress as the landlord will probably only replace it with a crappy cheap new mattress unless your paying very high rent. What I would do is buy myself a good mattress that will be comfortable and just take it with me when I'm moving. Landlords don't spend big money on mattress's as the next tenant might just want a new one every time someone moves out.

Or those mattress toppers work great too and a cheaper alternative

There's a free matress on adverts.ie atm I think. Saw it there earlier

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=80082&cat=42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

owenmakken wrote: »
    rip it a bit so a spring sticks out - then he has to, if he doesnt rip a scar on your side from it and sue! ching ching

mods shouldnt this be in the matteress forums?

and then people wonder why LL's are so suspicious! I was told on antoehr post that I was very mistrustful and that tenants don't purposely damage things - well here's proof that some people out there would!

By the way, if the mattress gets ripped, then I would argue that it is NOT the LL's responsibility to replace it as it is PURPOSELY DAMAGED not worn out from wear and tear. If my tenant asked for a new mattress just cos they didn't like the perfectly good one I provided then I would tell them to sling their hook!

If you buy a soft one, a tenant could say they like a firm mattress, and vice versa. It is not LL's responsibility to pander to your every preference. All they have to do is provide a bed and mattress which does the job it is intended for - i.e sleep on it. If you don't like it you are free, as another poster said, to get your own mattress and take it with you when leaving.

What's next? The carpet isn't fluffy enough under my feet? change it please? or I don't like the colour of the sofa, change it please? as if!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

and then people wonder why LL's are so suspicious! I was told on antoehr post that I was very mistrustful and that tenants don't purposely damage things - well here's proof that some people out there would!

By the way, if the mattress gets ripped, then I would argue that it is NOT the LL's responsibility to replace it as it is PURPOSELY DAMAGED not worn out from wear and tear. If my tenant asked for a new mattress just cos they didn't like the perfectly good one I provided then I would tell them to sling their hook!

If you buy a soft one, a tenant could say they like a firm mattress, and vice versa. It is not LL's responsibility to pander to your every preference. All they have to do is provide a bed and mattress which does the job it is intended for - i.e sleep on it. If you don't like it you are free, as another poster said, to get your own mattress and take it with you when leaving.

What's next? The carpet isn't fluffy enough under my feet? change it please? or I don't like the colour of the sofa, change it please? as if!

i disagree, i moved into a apt a few months ago and the matress in my
    room was terrible, you could feel all the springs throught it.
    i asked the landlord to have a look at it last week and next day he replaced it with another matress, not a new one but still in much better condition.

if your paying a lot of rent the least the landlord can provide you with is
    a matress thats fit for purpose.

all depends on wether the landlord is a tightass or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

i disagree, i moved into a apt a few months ago and the matress in my
    room was terrible, you could feel all the springs throught it.
    i asked the landlord to have a look at it last week and next day he replaced it with another matress, not a new one but still in much better condition.

if your paying a lot of rent the least the landlord can provide you with is
    a matress thats fit for purpose.

all depends on wether the landlord is a tightass or not!

you miss the point completely. OP says matress is fit for its purpose, its just too hard for them. In such cases, tightarse or not the LL is not resposible for getting a new one. Your situation is different - you say it is not in good condition. I would never put a bad mattress into a property, and if I did I would expect to replace it. I know that the mattresses I put in the house I rent out were all brand new (I left them with the packaging on them so that tenant would know this too) and were of decent quality - they are not top of the range, but they are not the cheapest available. In fact they are the same ones I put in the guest room of my own house, so they are good enough. IfI put a decent mattress in and the tenant complains that it is too soft/hard/doesn't like the colour, well then I would certainly not replace it on that basis, and I am certainly not a tightass. And its not about the cost of a mattress anyway - we can claim this back against expenses in our taxes.

If your LL willingly replaced the mattress, then it is probably because he/she knew full well when you moved in that it was crap to begin with.

Advertisement