Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies based on Religion but that you still enjoyed

Options
  • 16-11-2008 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Constantine
    Dogma
    The Exorcist
    The Omen
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
    The Da Vinci Code
    Stigmata

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Passion of the Christ.

Take that Jesus! :cool:

Whip him again! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MrDaithi wrote: »
    The Da Vinci Code

This is a troll, right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Life of Brian!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

leaptb6.jpg
    lifebrianav5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Galvasean wrote: »
    Passion of the Christ.

Take that Jesus! :cool:

Whip him again! :pac:

Damn, got there before me.

Slightly off topic, but speaking of that film. I have a few Christian friends, and it doesn't seem I'm allowed to criticise that movie for being shít, they take offense to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Lucifer Rising by Kenneth Anger. It's a real cult classic. I was initially attracted to this film by the soundtrack by the infamous/tragic Bobby Beausoleil (Manson family killer, still imprisoned). It's a bit basement level but oddly attractive.

Slightly off topic, but speaking of that film. I have a few Christian friends, and it doesn't seem I'm allowed to criticise that movie for being shít, they take offense to that.

Well, what are your exact criticisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Constantine
    Dogma - not based on religion afaik more of a piss take
    The Exorcist - not based on religion horror movie
    The Omen - not based on religion horror movie
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - not based on religion but rather based on Indiana Jones
    Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - same as above
    The Da Vinci Code - who cares
    Stigmata - who cares

You should be more carefull about what you say wrt Indiana Jones. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's been a long time since I saw it, but I mainly remember thinking the scene of him walking with the cross was millllllllllllles too long and the film was just boring in general. The shock value of the violence wore off pretty quickly.

It's been a long time since I saw it, but I mainly remember thinking the scene of him walking with the cross was millllllllllllles too long and the film was just boring in general. The shock value of the violence wore off pretty quickly.

All reasonable critiques, hardly offensive remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

The Last Temptation of Christ.

Religion doesn't get any better than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MrDaithi

Noted.

Actually the Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom plot also has religious foundation ... OK a wacky one but still one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

"The Mission" is one of my favorite films. I still find the scene where Robert De Niro reads a passage from First Corinthians incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

"The Gospel According To St Matthew", Pasolini. Wonderfully made, by an atheist who presents Jesus as a rebel against injustice (he wanted Kerouac for the role!!) and quotes the gospel verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Noted.

Actually the Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom plot also has religious foundation ... OK a wacky one but still one.

No it has an Indiana Jones foundation like the rest of the movies.

Does Pulp Fiction count as religious because of 'Ezekiel 20:17'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

The Ten Commandments and eh National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Star Wars

You watch it over the weekend too? :)

I never remembered so many comparisons of the ways of The Force, to a hokey religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Battlestar Galactica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The Man Who Sued God - oh wait you said enjoyed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm not sure I understand the question. Why as an atheist wouldn't I like films from the same genre as some of my favourite films like Lord of the Rings, Beowulf 3D and even Starwars?

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Why as an atheist wouldn't I like films from the same genre as some of my favourite films like Lord of the Rings, Beowulf 3D and even Starwars?

Because it's some sort of paradox, somewhere, or may be not.
    But for once these stories are correctly classified as 'fictions'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Remind them that it was directed by a Jew :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Constantine
    Dogma - not based on religion afaik more of a piss take
    The Exorcist - not based on religion horror movie
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - not based on religion but rather based on Indiana Jones
    Stigmata - who cares

All of the above films have a religious slant, so why dismiss them.

Constantine. why did you not comment, are you afraid???

Dogma - not based on religion afaik more of a piss take,
    That is the whole point, the film identifies that if there is a god then there is also evil (according to they bible/church) so the point is about re-entry to heaven..

The Exorcist - not based on religion horror movie,
    Not true, it is based on the exorcism, a well documented form of religious expression when medical issues such as epilepsy are encountered

Read your bible and refer to revelations

Which part of the old testament did you not read??? the ark of the covenant is described in great detail and also its power, or are you willing to accept that what is described is a load of wishful thinking (fantasy)
    yes i agree...

yes it is a load of rubbish, i actually agree

Stigmata - who cares
    yes i agree look at padre pio, it has been proved that he was known to rip his own palms and get medication from his local pharmacist to maintain the illusion.

I was to reply in the way you did "barfizz", thanks for saving me some typing.

Obviously, this topic isn't meant to be taken seriously as a debate.

And by "based on religion" I meant involving characters (God, Devil, Angles...) , objects (Graal ...etc...), and places (Heaven) related to religious scripture/beliefs, which is not limited to Christianity.

And such movies don't have to prove or disprove anything, nor be accurate, just entertaining and you enjoyed them.

In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, is he not after retrieving a sacred "Shiva lingam" stone which is part of the "Adi Shankara" Stones that have mystical powers once reunited.

Anyways, I was interested in finding out if there were movies that I wouldn't know nor remember on top of my head.

So far nobody mentioned Schwarzenegger's "End of Days" ... pheeew.

And I think I've only seen "The Devil in Miss Jones" once many years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Not sure i understand the reasoning of posting in the agnostic thread. Why would you not like a movie just coz it had religion as a basis? I am assuming the OP had a point that just becuase you dont believe in a "god" then there must be some point to make as if he didnt relate it to religion it would have been posted in a more general thread.

Redpunto wrote: »
    Not sure i understand the reasoning of posting in the agnostic thread. Why would you not like a movie just coz it had religion as a basis? I am assuming the OP had a point that just becuase you dont believe in a "god" then there must be some point to make as if he didnt relate it to religion it would have been posted in a more general thread.

Well it's the Atheist & Agnostic board.

I'm an Atheist, if it's what I'm supposed to be called. I'm sure there is no supernatural, omnipotent deity of any sort that created nor rules anything, there is no afterlife what so ever. All this superstition, what ever religion where ever in the world, started thousands of years ago because of "our" general ignorance. This is just me here and I'm not trying to convince anyone.

But the idea that people do "believe" baffles me, like the majority of people , I guess, the indoctrination attempt started when I was a kid but for some reason even as a kid I couldn't believe all that pile of bull.

But I respect people and their opinions/beliefs, unless they are complete extremists/nutters and/or try to convince me otherwise on that subject. And, I will never try to convince them either that I am "right".

As an Atheist I find slightly paradoxical that I can appreciate movies that are more or less revolving around those beliefs that I know I completely bull. May be some Atheist people would not like such movies, apparently not from the answers above, may be some people don't care (I'd say the vast majority) that's fine too, and may be people do care but don't want to see/admit the religious underlying in these movies.

May be some of these movies were made because of some religious studio executives/producers that had profitability in mind but also spreading the good word of the Lord on some form or fashion. It might not be like going to church but a little reminder in the people's and "depraved" youth subconscious of the existence of God is better than nothing. You got to admit that Constantine, and Indy 1 and 3 are great showcase for Christianity, even if the Indys are made by someone of the Jewish faith... hey Moses and Jesus were Jews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Redpunto wrote: »
    Not sure i understand the reasoning of posting in the agnostic thread. Why would you not like a movie just coz it had religion as a basis?

Well I've noticed a huge amount of people who call themselves atheists/agnostics go beyond the realms of disbelieving and into the area of actively disliking religion. Maybe even to the point that they avoid religious themed films. For them maybe a film like the Ten Commandments is hard to stomach.

So it's a fair enough question to ask A&As which religious themed films they still enjoy. I'd say most people don't mind suspending disbelief for any film (religious or not) if it's a good film but there are some films which are rooted so much in religion, it must be hard for some A&As to enjoy them fully.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    I'd say most people don't mind suspending disbelief for any film (religious or not) if it's a good film...
    Indeed. TBH the only movie I wouldn't watch was Passion of the Christ. And only because from what I've heard I wouldn't be interested in watching the torture/violence involved.

Advertisement