Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies based on Religion but that you still enjoyed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »
    Indeed. TBH the only movie I wouldn't watch was Passion of the Christ. And only because from what I've heard I wouldn't be interested in watching the torture/violence involved.

Saw > PotC.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Indeed. TBH the only movie I wouldn't watch was Passion of the Christ. And only because from what I've heard I wouldn't be interested in watching the torture/violence involved.

I saw this film in a cinema in Lima. The violence really got to the crowd. Some were crying uncontrollably, others were seething with rage and shouting insults at the characters. Every time Jesus received a lash the crowd would moan with empathy. I though at one stage it might even get out of hand and that the ushers might have to start hauling out people who had fainted. The whole scene was for me both disturbing and comical in equal measure.

Funnily enough I spoke to other people who had seen it the same week and they said that no such reaction occurred. With the audience I was in it was probably one of those group hysteria experiences triggered off by one upset individual.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

anti-venom wrote: »
    Funnily enough I spoke to other people who had seen it the same week and they said that no such reaction occurred. With the audience I was in it was probably one of those group hysteria experiences triggered off by one upset individual.
    Maybe you went to the same viewing as a few coachloads of some Christian group!

anti-venom wrote: »
    I saw this film in a cinema in Lima. The violence really got to the crowd. Some were crying uncontrollably, others were seething with rage and shouting insults at the characters. Every time Jesus received a lash the crowd would moan with empathy. I though at one stage it might even get out of hand and that the ushers might have to start hauling out people who had fainted. The whole scene was for me both disturbing and comical in equal measure.

Maybe you went to the same viewing as a few coachloads of some Christian group!

Indeed. I've heard many stories of massed groups of people wailing with sorrow. When I saw it in the cinema nothing like that happened, nor did it happen when anyone I knew went to see it. I'm guessing Dades is correct in hypothesizing that the crowds full of people getting uncontrollably emotional were specific groups of Christians.
    Luckily I avoided such groups*. I hate anyone talking in the cinema.

* Unfortunately some scrubber in the row behind me decided to answer her phone and have a chat with her Mam at one point.
    JUST BECAUSE IT'S SUBTITLED DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN TALK OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!
    *explodes*

For the record I taught the movie was okay. Not the best Jesus movie out there but it does have great production values for those with a strong stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The Name of the Rose

The 10 Commandments

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    The Name of the Rose
    Great stuff!

I read the book this year and re-watched the movie after. Smashing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Great stuff!

I read the book this year and re-watched the movie after. Smashing. :)

Umberto Eco = Top Man.

"Travels in Hyper-reality" is a great book of news paper articles etc wot he wrote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRIypcaIX4
    Jesus Christ: If I'm not back in five minutes, call the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jesus Christ: If I'm not back in five minutes, call the Pope.

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Danimalito wrote: »

My life has been incomplete until just now. Good... lord...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Galvasean wrote: »
    Passion of the Christ.

Take that Jesus! :cool:

Whip him again! :pac:

Is there any need to be so nasty, about anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I fairness that was a fairly gruesome scene regardless who it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I fairness that was a fairly gruesome scene regardless who it is.

I know, seriously that scene was unbelievably long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I know it's been scathingly attacked here as "giving atheists a bad name" but I must say I'm quite a fan of that scene done "ala Benny Hill" - hint youtube - "benny hill passion christ" - probably best not to embed that one as some seem to find it genuinely offensive.

I know, seriously that scene was unbelievably long.

Although the movie wouldn't be as good without that scene. Mel Gibson maybe a nut case trad catholic but he makes damn good movies.

Is there any need to make such a comment on what was clearly a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

pH wrote: »
    I know it's been scathingly attacked here as "giving atheists a bad name" but I must say I'm quite a fan of that scene done "ala Benny Hill" - hint youtube - "benny hill passion christ" - probably best not to embed that one as some seem to find it genuinely offensive.
    That was truly awesome !

pH wrote: »
    probably best not to embed that one as some seem to find it genuinely offensive.

Score one for liberty!
    snip

Score one for dictatorship. :pac:

Sorry, Zillah.
    Grossly offensive imo.
    If people want to watch it google is their friend.

• Advertisement

Score one for dictatorship. :pac:

suprise-facism5-ol.gif

Tyranny! To the dueling pit!

I don't mean to be an asshole but surprise is spelled incorrectly.

I didn't expect that.

Zillah wrote: »
    I didn't expect that.

Tou-ché to you both. :cool:

Zillah wrote: »
    Tyranny! To the dueling pit!
    STArena.jpg

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'd say the Last Temptation of Christ. Mainly because it has my favorite movie soundtracks of all time, plus the bible-bashers hated it admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

You know quite honestly I thought the Passion of the Christ was pretty good.

Oh no I just commited atheist blasphemy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

So is user MrDaithi = user Gareth37
    seems like the same post that got closed earlier on.
    As an atheist I don't start thrends on the christian forum so why is it ok for this troll to have many thrends on the Atheist forum. He starts many thrends making silly statements and then doesn't comment on the replys.

But if was to say what I really tought Ill'd be the one getting a warning.

• Advertisement

Thrends?

Advertisement