Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista problem, looking for someone who understands the terminology..

• 16-11-2008 8:10pm

OK, Im having an issue with Vista (well, i've been having it for months, but never found out what caused it)

Anyway, my internet connection dies randomly (incredibly painful when it happens when something is like 98% downloaded or the last few seconds of an ebay auction).

However, I found this thread where someone has a similar (or same) problem. But i dont quite understand what is going on.

http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=2116

To me it looks like some guy made a thread, a mod/admin edited the thread (With what he should do) and he replied to it saying it fixed the problem.

Now, judging from that thread, in order to fix this problem:

"A: Perhaps you should try to use power High Performance. Please post back with
    the result."

So my question is... Doesn anyone have any idea what "you should try to use power High Performance" means?

Alternatively, does anyone else have any idea what i could do to fix this?

It makes me want to rip the hair out of my head! Im sick of restarting my computer!

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Control Panel/Performance and Information Tools . adjust power settings in the left panel . Select High Performance .

Dont know if it'll solve your problem but I guess that's what your link is referring to . Good luck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

make sure the firmware of your router is the latest.

try updating your wirless/ethernet drivers to the most recent.

nessyguin wrote: »
    Control Panel/Performance and Information Tools . adjust power settings in the left panel . Select High Performance .

Dont know if it'll solve your problem but I guess that's what your link is referring to . Good luck !

Thanks for that.

I tried what someone else said in a different thread in that forum:

if you've been experiencing internet dropping, hanging, ect. on Vista, you're
    not alone. I was ready to throw the thing in the trash. I finally fixed it by
    going to the Network and Sharing center, click the View Status on the
    connection, click Properties and then uncheck the QoS Packet Scheduler, the
    Internet Protocol Version 6, and both Link Layer Topology choices. Then click
    OK, restart and enjoy your surfing! Hope this helps. Let me know.

So i did that, and im gonna wait for my internet to knock off before trying anything else, but i've bookmarked this thread, so if something goes wrong, i'll check back. Thanks again.

ntlbell wrote: »
    make sure the firmware of your router is the latest.

try updating your wirless/ethernet drivers to the most recent.

I had an old XP computer. Internet worked perfectly for well over a year. no issues at all. I bought a new PC (the one im using now, with vista pre-installed) and i've been having this problem ever since (i think i got this PC in march or april). I didn't change internet provider or anything. So i don't think its related to anything other than vista being a prick to me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

What type of internet connection are we talking about here?.

Are you connecting to a wireless router?. Or is it O2 broadband or something?.

It sounds like an issue with the connection to your router to be honest, rather than an issue with Vista. Give me some details and I may be able to help you more.

OK, Ive no idea on this kinda terminology, so to the best of my plain englich ability:

theres an ariel on my roof (irish broadband - i know they get a fair negtaive reputation on here, but they've been good to me). The ariel has a wire that comes into the house, into a little black rectangular box. then a red wire from that to the pc.

I know very little else about my connection except that i have no download limits and it costs me the guys ot €50 per month.

• Advertisement

...And it knocked off again.

Had to restart it. Happened just a minute ago. and me after been downloading a file for a few hours, and it switches off at 93%!!! i hate this crap.

I'll try the original idea.

*edit*

It turned off again. so thats both the original idea and the other idea i found that did nothing. does anyone have anything they could suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have no idea how the IBB network is now but when I was with them their connection was ****e.

The packet loss was always around 25% and the ping spikes were frequent and went close to 2000ms before timing out for a few seconds. This was on the internal network, not between the wireless mast and receiver.

For the normal user the above would translate into the connection just plain dropping which would cause the connection to stop for a brief time period and webpages failing to load intermittently.

Go to start, then run. In run type "cmd". Press enter. Whent he black command prompt window appears, type the following into it.

ping www.boards.ie -n 1000

Example of my 20mb NTL connection out of 100 try's while running a bit-torrent client.

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 52ms, Average = 20ms

I have highlighted the most important figures. I would not be surprised if your IBB connection has at least 10% packet loss and a average ping of 100ms+ with highs of a couple of thousand.

I had an old XP computer. Internet worked perfectly for well over a year. no issues at all. I bought a new PC (the one im using now, with vista pre-installed) and i've been having this problem ever since (i think i got this PC in march or april). I didn't change internet provider or anything. So i don't think its related to anything other than vista being a prick to me :(

new pc = new os new ethernet/wireless driver

it's no harm to make sure they're the latest...it won't make it any worse ;)

keep in mind vista controls the driver..

new pc = new os new ethernet/wireless driver

it's no harm to make sure they're the latest...it won't make it any worse ;)

keep in mind vista controls the driver..

Is there any particular way of doing this?

Or just google "update ethernet driver" :confused:

Is there any particular way of doing this?

Or just google "update ethernet driver" :confused:

if it's one of the big boys like a dell there site should have the latest drivers for the model of pc

if the card is on the vista hcl you might get them via windows update

• Advertisement

if it's one of the big boys like a dell there site should have the latest drivers for the model of pc

if the card is on the vista hcl you might get them via windows update

I get the updates every now and then, but rarely bother to pay attention to what they actually are.

The PC is HP (hewlett packard). My old (reliable) one was dell.

I dont know if switching from a Dell with XP to a HP with Vista would affect my internet connection though. it doesnt make sense that it would to me.

Do you know if HP have a particular website for updating this kinda stuff? i dont want to make a balls of it and ruin my connection altogether.

Cuddles:

I got this from that ping thing:

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 996, Lost = 4 <0% loss>,
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = mns, Maximum = 69ms, Average = 13ms

Don't know if that helps at all or not. :confused: I dont really know what it means. :o

I dont know if switching from a Dell with XP to a HP with Vista would affect my internet connection though. it doesnt make sense that it would to me.

because your internet connection is connected to hardware on the pc

right now it could be the hardware on the pc thats causing the connection to drop?

the driver for the card controlls how the data passes from your isp to vista?

old hardware = everything was fine.

new hardware = you now have a problem...

whats changed?

the wireless or ethernet card

the driver...

so....it makes a lot of sense....that it s a possibility?

So what do i have to download exactly? New ethernet driver?

Ping test is fine, its not your connection.

Are you using a laptop?

No, desktop.

Anyone have a link to a site that will update or install my drivers? i just downloaded a program or two that were happy to tell me i had out of date drivers, etc. but wanted money off me to do something about it. :(

No, desktop.

Anyone have a link to a site that will update or install my drivers? i just downloaded a program or two that were happy to tell me i had out of date drivers, etc. but wanted money off me to do something about it. :(

Make/Model of desktop or motherboard?

Here is everything:

specs-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Here is everything:

specs-2.jpg

Try this link:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3671507#

The HP Update utility at the bottom should update all the drivers for you.

From what you've said, I suspect that a malware problem is just as likely as a vista/driver problem. If you don't have one allready, get a reputable antivirus/internet security package.

Try this link:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3671507#

The HP Update utility at the bottom should update all the drivers for you.

From what you've said, I suspect that a malware problem is just as likely as a vista/driver problem. If you don't have one allready, get a reputable antivirus/internet security package.

Just did the update. I'll wait and see if the internet knocks off again before trying anything else.

I had a thread here before about my PC specs and somehow malware etc. came up. I have AVG on my pc and someone else recommended i try using another anti-virus program just to make sure it. So i used another one (cant remember the name off hand, it was free anyway though) and i let it run three or four different times and it returned no viruses, etc. (it was called malware something i think).

So i don't think thats the problem.

See, im using rapidshare a lot nowadays to download things, and i dont want to buy a premium account because i dont want to pay to download lots of stuff at the same time, etc and my internet connection juts keep on cutting out all the time (thus making it pointless).

*EDIT*

Just did the update. I'll wait and see if the internet knocks off again

It did. Sick of this :(

Go to start, type "run" into the search bar and hit enter. When the run box comes up, type "ncpa.cpl" into it.

This should open up the network connections box. In that box find the active lan connection. Right click on it and go to properties. In properties, the first tab should have a configure box with the name of the hardware beside it. Click it.

In the following Window you should have the tab at the top for power management. Untick the option which allows Windows to turn off the connection to save power. Apply and exit. Withuot being there, I'm out of ideas after that.

• Advertisement

Go to start, type "run" into the search bar and hit enter. When the run box comes up, type "ncpa.cpl" into it.

This should open up the network connections box. In that box find the active lan connection. Right click on it and go to properties. In properties, the first tab should have a configure box with the name of the hardware beside it. Click it.

In the following Window you should have the tab at the top for power management. Untick the option which allows Windows to turn off the connection to save power. Apply and exit. Withuot being there, I'm out of ideas after that.

I did exactly as you said. I'll let you know how i get on (im about to head to bed now, but i'll reply back tomorrow).

I appreciate all the help you've given me, man. (same for everyone in the thread).

Hopefully that will work. I really don't understand what else it could be. If its continuing to happen, I'll give Irish Broadband a ring. It most likely isn't their fault, but they may be hearing about it all the time and have found a solution.. (well.. i can dream :pac: ).

Thanks again man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

See, im using rapidshare a lot nowadays to download things, and i dont want to buy a premium account because i dont want to pay to download lots of stuff at the same time, etc and my internet connection juts keep on cutting out all the time (thus making it pointless).

It's not really a solution, but it might help - does rapidshare allow the use of download managers? These are plug-ins for your browser which will allow you to resume downloads after they are interrupted. If rapidshare allows them, that should help with the 'disconnected at 99%' type annoyance.

It's not really a solution, but it might help - does rapidshare allow the use of download managers? These are plug-ins for your browser which will allow you to resume downloads after they are interrupted. If rapidshare allows them, that should help with the 'disconnected at 99%' type annoyance.

To the best of my knowledge, they don't. But they will allow you to do it (they offer it as a feature) once you buy a premium account off them.

So far i haven't really used the net much today, but it hasn't knocked off yet (im currently using the idea from Cuddles' last post ("Untick the option which allows Windows to turn off the connection to save power") so hopefully that will work. Otherwise i'll give Irish Broadband a ring. If it still persists i'll probably end up changing over to a different supplier, which i dont want to do because i actually quite like IBB. :(

EDIT:

Just off the phone.

Said he didn't really know what it was, as they have a graph of my internet usage and it never dropped/stopped as im explaining. So he made me change a setting on it in the network and sharing center (can't remember exactly what it was, but the change i made was from "Auto Negotiation" to "100mbp full duplex" or something like that) and said if i am still having trouble to ring them back. So i'll just hope for the best i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Opera browser resumes http downloads without the need for 3rd party software .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Hi KKV,

Ill have a look at our Internal Knowledge Base for that product to see if there is any known issues.

Ta.

Cryos wrote: »
    Hi KKV,

Ill have a look at our Internal Knowledge Base for that product to see if there is any known issues.

Ta.

I really don't know if that is sarcasm or not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

No honestly, i work for HP :) ill check on the inside.

Oh right. Well i guess it would be pretty handy if you could do that. :)

Deep in my mind, i hear the words "it's Vista's Fcuking fault" over and over, but ever since making the change that the Irish Broadband guy made me do, its been ok. i know its only a few hours since i spoke to him, but im praying he fixed it.

If you could find, or know of any faults, it'd be brilliant, but tragic at the same time (because i really have no intention of buying another computer) :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tl;dr

general stuff to try, turn off power saving till you've figured out the problem
    change the wireless speed , set it low and work up, there is no point in having your card trying to negotiate for 54mbps if your internet connection is only 2mbps, try 11mbps and work up / down from there

• Advertisement
Advertisement