Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a BRAND new car from UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Neilw wrote: »
    The extent to which we are being ripped of here is far more then a few cents, an example relevant to the motoring forum.

I needed a new brake master cylinder for my car, priced one from a main dealer in Dublin €190ish plus vat. I then rang a dealer in the north, £89sterling inc vat, plus £10 postage to Dublin...guess which one I bought :rolleyes:

It's the same with electronics, LCD TV in Dublin Currys €1299, quick drive to Newry save a couple of hundred €.

Actually Currys have to price match across the border. I was told this, I told them it was cheaper across the border and they told me that they have to match that price so did. Anyway that doesn't matter cause Currys are English so we can't hurt them by buying the other side of the border! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bjbcool

Just an example importing a '09 unreg. Saab 93 Aero into Ireland.

UK List Price
    £20,740
    Tax included
    Reg fee included in UK

- tax @ 15% = £ 3,111
    - Reg fee @ £55
    You don't have to pay these using VAT form 411 signed by the dealer when exporting the car into Ireland.
    Total=£ 17,574

They will deliver car to belfast for £150
    = £17,724

You will then have to pay VRT at 20% on the Irish market List Value of the car at 51,942 euro = 10,388

so £17,724 = 18,744.83 euro
    add VRT of 10,388 euro = 29,132.84

And finally you will have to pay vat at 21% on the above price
    = 6,118 euro

Total Euro Price = 35,251. rounded of to the nearest euro !
    Cheapest cash price I have seen in Ireland is around 46,000 euro if your lucky !

Total saving of 10,749 euro

EU legislation covers you if the dealership tries not to honour manufactures warrenty- they have to !!

Put simply your saving over 10,000 euro if you import the car from a uk dealership.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

bjbcool wrote: »

UK List Price
    £20,740
    Tax included
    Reg fee included in UK

- tax @ 15% = £ 3,111
    - Reg fee @ £55
    You don't have to pay these using VAT form 411 signed by the dealer when exporting the car into Ireland.
    Total=£ 17,574

= £17,724

You will then have to pay VRT at 20% on the Irish market List Value of the car at 51,942 euro = 10,388

= 6,118 euro

Cheapest cash price I have seen in Ireland is around 46,000 euro if your lucky !

EU legislation covers you if the dealership tries not to honour manufactures warrenty- they have to !!

Put simply your saving over 10,000 euro if you import the car from a uk dealership.:)

you got the vat wrong, on 20,740 the vat is 2705 not 3111

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Im thinking about a VW Sirocco 2.0l TSI DGS GT
    price on broadspeed £20,223
    Pre-tax at 15% UK vat £17,588 = €18,6354

Irish price at €36,633
    pre tax price around €24,600
    UK model has the advantage of 18" interlagos alloys, the ACC (adaptive chasis control) and the 3 year warrainty.

p.s any one wanna buy a GTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

OK. Go ahead and buy ALL your products in the north because your fed up of being ripped off by Irish retailers. Get your friends and family to do the same, and get them to pass it on to their friends and family. Now all of a sudden your job in Manufacturing is gone because nobody is buying products from Ireland, in turn your accountant of a cousin is out of business because he has no money of yours to count, etc. Fairly soon you'll all be on the dole que que with the rest of us for the sake of a few cents on the price of a, lets say, apple.

Its a vicious circle, and if we all dont support irish business, fairly soon we'll be in even more of a depression.

I am willing to spend the extra few quid on proper Irish products like food and drink.

This will be the real way of helping the Irish economy.

Not by buying a foreign brand "x" from dealers who in the past who have ripped us off.

Let the car dealerships fall to their needs. They deserve it after the crap they've been shipping out for the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

UK List Price
    £20,740
    Tax included
    Reg fee included in UK

- tax @ 15% = £ 3,111
    - Reg fee @ £55
    Total=£ 17,574

= £17,724

= 6,118 euro

Have you a link for a 93 at a list of £20,740? The 2.0L is £26,500 or thereabouts from the Saab website and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

fm wrote: »
    you got the vat wrong, on 20,740 the vat is 2705 not 3111

I could be wrong, but is VAT not paid on purchase price of vehicle in UK? I dont think you pay VAT on the VRT inclusive price. I think you pay VAT on UK purchase price and then the VRT is paid after? Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Brewster wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but is VAT not paid on purchase price of vehicle in UK? I dont think you pay VAT on the VRT inclusive price. I think you pay VAT on UK purchase price and then the VRT is paid after? Can anyone confirm?

Correct. VAT is only paid on the invoice price.

robbie99 wrote: »
    Correct. VAT is only paid on the invoice price.

Good man Robbie, its an important point! Merry Christmas to you and happy motoring in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Have you a link for a 93 at a list of £20,740? The 2.0L is £26,500 or thereabouts from the Saab website and others.

www.broadspeed.com has the discounted prices .

But IMO your better off buying a 6 month demo as with Saabs in the UK that £20,740 list price hits £11,000 as soon as you turn the key!!

Looking at www.autotrader.co.uk now they are selling 2008 57 plate 120hp diesels with 10 miles on the clock for under £11000.
    Plus the one I fancy, the 180hp TTID Aero for £17,000 with more discounts I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

frag4 wrote: »
    www.broadspeed.com has the discounted prices .

But IMO your better off buying a 6 month demo as with Saabs in the UK that £20,740 list price hits £11,000 as soon as you turn the key!!

Looking at www.autotrader.co.uk now they are selling 2008 57 plate 120hp diesels with 10 miles on the clock for under £11000.
    Plus the one I fancy, the 180hp TTID Aero for £17,000 with more discounts I'd say.

rented the 180 bhp in france for a week,sat nav,leather,auto etc,unreal pick up for a 1.9 diesel.loved it but a bit heavy on juice

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bjbcool

Hi all,
    Sorry for any confusion with the example of importing the 09 Saab 93 Aero.. I suppose the point I'm try'n to make is that there is big savings to be made.
    With regards to buying Irish or products in Ireland, if we stop buying or buy elsewhere then the demand drops and as a result prices drop and we stop getting ripped off. Take a look at the current sales, most of the uk brand name shops are making a fool of us....how good of them to drop their prices by 20% to 30% this just brings us in line with current sterling to euro currency exchange rates..... their still ripping us off !!!
    At the end of the day we need to shop around and get a decent price for goods...until we do, be prepared to pay through the nose !:o
    I got the list price for the Saab Aero on Autotrader.co.uk

diddly doodly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Neilw wrote: »
    The extent to which we are being ripped of here is far more then a few cents, an example relevant to the motoring forum.

I needed a new brake master cylinder for my car, priced one from a main dealer in Dublin €190ish plus vat. I then rang a dealer in the north, £89sterling inc vat, plus £10 postage to Dublin...guess which one I bought :rolleyes:

It's the same with electronics, LCD TV in Dublin Currys €1299, quick drive to Newry save a couple of hundred €.

How much are you being paid compared to the same guy in Newry? It cant work both way.

OT I know.

One really easy example I found when having a similar discussion on another thread. Aldi advertisign their graduate program on their UK website offer stg£42,000 starting. On their Irish site it's €58,000 . If they are paying such big differences in wages (without even factoring in differences in rents etc) how are they supposed to be able to sell products in Ireland for the same price as the uk without losing money? People are very quick to jump on the "we're beign ripped off " bandwagon, but wheres the threads callign for wages to be lowered to assist in prices being lowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Bought a new Mazda 6 back in July for the company I work for saved 3k euros buying it new in the North and thats after paying the Irish Vat and VRT.

Listen, we now European, start thinking like Europeans. Lisbon treaty pt 2 is being focused down our throats so the Irish government can not complain if we decide to spead our money in another Euro zone country.

When you export a car which is less than 3 months old in the UK, you can ask the UK dealer to fill out a Form 411 which states that you will pay vat in the country of import and the dealer will not charge you the UK vat.

Note you will have to pay 3 months road tax to get the car on the road for export, plus the registration fee.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I see Charles Hurst Nissan are advertising in the SB Post today with savings of up to 14 k on the ROI RRP including VAT and VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Dealerships in Derry are advertising in local Donegal media, trying to attract customers to buy new.

Three year warrenty bonus as opposed to two years; servicing and warrenty work can be carried out only half an hour in the road if the local dealerships turn their noses up at it!!!

kluivert wrote: »
    Bought a new Mazda 6 back in July for the company I work for saved 3k euros buying it new in the North and thats after paying the Irish Vat and VRT.

Listen, we now European, start thinking like Europeans. Lisbon treaty pt 2 is being focused down our throats so the Irish government can not complain if we decide to spead our money in another Euro zone country.

When you export a car which is less than 3 months old in the UK, you can ask the UK dealer to fill out a Form 411 which states that you will pay vat in the country of import and the dealer will not charge you the UK vat.

Note you will have to pay 3 months road tax to get the car on the road for export, plus the registration fee.

Happy hunting.

Think its 6 months and not 3 months... A new car is one classified as being less than 6 months old or less than 6k km on it. If car meets either of these criteria you can use 411 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

= £17,724

.:)

Given that the Irish list price is actually under €46k I'd be appealing that VRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

could you tell me what dealer ye have used to see about getting a 09 model price .am looking at 08 at the moment but if i could get new one in at around 40k:rolleyes:euro all in (vat + vrt),i would be thinking of going that route.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

I would try Bavarian BMW in Belfast for a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

rang vrt office lady told me has to over 6 months AND 6000km otherwise 21.5vat added to it i thought it was it could under 6 months but over 6000km and you would be fine please correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

bombers wrote: »
    rang vrt office lady told me has to over 6 months AND 6000km otherwise 21.5vat added to it i thought it was it could under 6 months but over 6000km and you would be fine please correct me!

I understand why they do this but don't understand how this aspect of VRT is legal within the EU under the free movement of goods act.

For example if I went to the UK and bought a brand new computer and paid the UK VAT the Irish Government cannot add more VAT on top of that, however if I bought the computer ex VAT the Irish Gov would be entitled to 21.5% VAT.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Furp wrote: »
    I understand why they do this but don't understand how this aspect of VRT is legal within the EU under the free movement of goods act.

For example if I went to the UK and bought a brand new computer and paid the UK VAT the Irish Government cannot add more VAT on top of that, however if I bought the computer ex VAT the Irish Gov would be entitled to 21.5% VAT.

If VAT applies here, then it doesn't apply in the UK. It's EU law. If under 6 months old OR under 6000kms the car is considered new.

So you don't pay VAT in the UK, you do pay it here.

Obviously since either one makes your car considered new, then it has to be more than 6 months old AND more than 6000kms to not have to pay VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

copacetic wrote: »
    If VAT applies here, then it doesn't apply in the UK. It's EU law. If under 6 months old OR under 6000kms the car is considered new.

Obviously since either one makes your car considered new, then it has to be more than 6 months old AND more than 6000kms to not have to pay VAT.

But If i buy a car in the UK and Pay the UK VAT which is 15% at the moment why should I have to pay it here again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Furp wrote: »
    But If i buy a car in the UK and Pay the UK VAT which is 15% at the moment why should I have to pay it here again.

you won't.

However if somehow you buy a car less than 6 months old or less than 6000kms for export within the EU and are charged VAT then this was an error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tosh65

hi..reading this with great interest..as i`m clearing a car this week..its an 08 model,brand new,livin up north,but workin down south..i have to pay the vrt,plus the vat @21.5%..even though i`ve paid the vat up north..i have to pay it down south on the invoice price + vrt+21.5%vat..before i can clear the car..also they factor in the difference off the euro via sterling price in april,when i purchased the car..after i`ve paid all this..i then have to try and recover the british vat that i`ve paid..but seeing its over 6 months since i purchased the car,they dont have to refund the full amount..so it looks like i`ll be paying vat twice..how do,eu and a single market..robbing bas***ds..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

IF your residence is in the six counties why in dogs name are you registering your car in the south?!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

copacetic wrote: »

** Technically ** speaking you could do abit of digital dash correction and add on a couple of miles to avoid the VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tosh65

mgadget wrote: »
    IF your residence is in the six counties why in dogs name are you registering your car in the south?!? :confused:

customs officers and the garda`s..but mainly the garda`s...when explained to the,the situation..they dont want too know..been told by them,that they will lift the car in the next week if not cleared..and they have that power too..if the car is over 3 months in the country or is out off car tax, they can impound the car straight away..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Redroof1

did you get your new car yet?

Advertisement