Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a BRAND new car from UK

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

tosh65 wrote: »
    customs officers and the garda`s..but mainly the garda`s...when explained to the,the situation..they dont want too know..been told by them,that they will lift the car in the next week if not cleared..and they have that power too..if the car is over 3 months in the country or is out off car tax, they can impound the car straight away..

But hang on - if you live in Northern Ireland you presumably spend more hours a week there than you do in the south. What if the PSNI had a similar policy? You'd really be stuffed then. Why don't you speak to your local MP or MLA or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Reading this thread with interest as I always assumed new car prices so high due to VRT. However when you strip off all the taxes seems on a few examples I did pre tax prices a good 15% higher in ROI? Is this the distributor or the dealer adding that slice?

I don't see anything anti-patriotic or whatever want to call it as still paying the same Irish taxes so its not like the state loses out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tosh65

Redroof1 wrote: »
    did you get your new car yet?

hi..yes i`ve my new car..just have to pay the vrt and vat, and claim the vat back from the uk..it`s a total sham..as another poster said,imaging buying anything in the the north,uk or europe,having to bring it to customs to pay the vat charge on it here,and then claim it back from the country off orgin..ie, food products,beer,electrical products..etc..the tax system would crash..i thought that was one off the policys off europe,if you paid vat in 1 eu country,that you were not liable for vat in another,ie single market policy,etc..total sham..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

tosh65 wrote: »
    hi..yes i`ve my new car..just have to pay the vrt and vat, and claim the vat back from the uk..it`s a total sham..as another poster said,imaging buying anything in the the north,uk or europe,having to bring it to customs to pay the vat charge on it here,and then claim it back from the country off orgin..ie, food products,beer,electrical products..etc..the tax system would crash..i thought that was one off the policys off europe,if you paid vat in 1 eu country,that you were not liable for vat in another,ie single market policy,etc..total sham..:mad:

Why did you pay the UK VAT? You didn't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

does the dealer have to register car to get discount on new car
    looking at ordering 09 bmw 520d msport + extra's approx £31000 one will i have to pay dealer full amount than reclaim back vat myself. may be i need to find out about dealer who will give me car i want and not pay vat there and then .anyone know any dealers other than bmwparklane that do this and have had experience with.
    confused a bit know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm thinking of buying a new Seat Leon Cupra this year. Got a deal in Belfast for 18k sterling (I won't pay UK VAT). When VRT and VAT are paid here, I'd have the car on the road for €33k. Same car here would be €39500. I've had an argument with a dealer here about the price difference. And he made no attempt to deal with me. Basically told me to 'f' off with myself.

I'd prefer to buy here if possible, to the extent that I'd pay a grand or 2 more for what i want. But €6500 is a too much of a saving to ignore.

Advertisement