Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digital camera price differences

Options
  • 16-11-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

looking to buy a nikon d90 18-105 vr kit dslr camera for myself so checked online prices as you do and got some very different prices all selling exactly the same model prices as follows
    play.com=€1161
    pixmania.ie=€1109
    komplett.ie=€979
    dabs.ie=€914
    dixons uk=€852
    dixons tax free at airports=€726

€435 off a difference between play.com and dixons tax free,unreal or what.pays to shop around , anyone else had similar finds:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't think that you can bring Dixons tax-free into the equation as, if you're an EU resident you wouldn't get it tax-free. Adding 17.5% vat brings it up to slightly more than the Dixons shop price.

Playcom and Pixmania are pushing their luck. I see on Pixmania.de that the price is €984 and would have expected it to be a lot less than that in a more competitive German market.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

i have bought from tax free dixons before and never paid vat , just gave the visa card and happy days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is there a web location that you can find out the price of the tax free items at Dublin Airport for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

By the by pixmania is owned by Dixons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Is there a web location that you can find out the price of the tax free items at Dublin Airport for example?

http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=dixons.home

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hoganpoly wrote: »
    €435 off a difference between play.com and dixons tax free,unreal or what.pays to shop around , anyone else had similar finds:rolleyes:
    How much was the flight?

the_syco wrote: »
    How much was the flight?

book by midnight tonight with ryanair and cost is €1 each way plus taxes to luton around €30 return would be okay and you can also phone ahead and they will have your goods ready for you, ideal for those gadget freaks out there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well worth checking Calumet in Belfast for great camera prices.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Prob even get it cheaper on ebay, moral of the story is it pays to shop around :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Arciphel wrote: »
    Costs £730 = €854 at the current exchange rates.
    what bank are you with where they give you that exchange rate?

Looking on paypal it is €875.64 today, my bank, BOI would usually be more than paypal.

I hope you are not just using XE, you can end up ripping yourself off with these exchange rates which nobody can ever get..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rubadub wrote: »

Looking on paypal it is €875.64 today, my bank, BOI would usually be more than paypal.

I hope you are not just using XE, you can end up ripping yourself off with these exchange rates which nobody can ever get..

he's not using xe.com anyway
    730.00 GBP = 867.791 EUR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rubadub wrote: »

You're the one being ripped off! Bought in NI yesterday with Credit Card and got a rate of 1.167 so £703 = €852.

Have mentioned this Visa calculator before, several times. Today's rate excluding any fees is 1.17 - how about a sticky for the link?

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

That calculator along with everyone else is using the spot rate.

Your NEVER going to get the spot rate when doing FX conversion.

Wish someone would take into account the spread and give a more exact indication.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    That calculator along with everyone else is using the spot rate.

Your NEVER going to get the spot rate when doing FX conversion.

Wish someone would take into account the spread and give a more exact indication.

It's worked for me many times - whatever rate it's using.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cabaal wrote: »
    he's not using xe.com anyway
    730.00 GBP = 867.791 EUR
    he still might have, the rate changing all the time.
    You're the one being ripped off! Bought in NI yesterday with Credit Card and got a rate of 1.167 so £703 = €852.
    How did you find out your rate? also are you not charged other fees? think BOI charge 1.75% on top
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's worked for me many times - whatever rate it's using.
    Will check it out, I am buying stuff now and have the option for paypal or visa. I would save €2 if the visa site is correct.

Advertisement