Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete graphic novel newbie, recommendations?

Options
  • 16-11-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭

I've read 300 (wasnt bad), Watchmen (incredible), The Dark Knight Returns (loved it) and V for Vendetta (awful). Reading Kick-Ass at the moment and it's amazing. As you can tell most of my knowledge comes from being a huge film fan first and foremost so can you guys recommend anything new for me? Would really appreciate it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Preacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

Sounds like you might enjoy The Ultimates (the Millar/Hitch run, not the later issues by Loeb and forget-artist's-name). It combines all the good things about superhero movies - visual design, sense of place - with the good qualities that comics have that movie adaptations usually lack - like decent writing and a nastier sense of humour.

John Wagner's Button Man stories are expertly paced action thrillers, and at least the first two have been collected as graphic novels.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As per the charter, please take a bit of time to look through the "What comic are you reading?" and "Ultimate Comic Bookshelf" threads.

If you're coming from a mostly film background, you might enjoy Iron Man : Extremis by Warren Ellis and Adi Granov if you liked the film. The praises of From Hell are regularly sung as well (although to my shame I have yet to read it) and it's generally regarded as being almost infinitely better than the film, so you might also check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Speaking as someone who's mainly a film fan (our tastes might converge) I would recommend:

Preacher.
    The Walking Dead.
    Transmetropolitan.
    Hellboy / BPRD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dave...

Just a Pilgrim (Garth Ennis). Well worth a read.
    Also if you can get your hands on True Faith (another Garth Ennis number,back from about 1990).A very interesting take on religious views.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'll second True Faith, it's got great artwork and the writing is up there amongst Ennis's finest work IMO. Though I'd also have to recommend his Avatar series Dicks in the same vein, because it is one of the most stupidly funny comics I've ever read - in his own words, it's "a story about two idiots from Belfast, by two idiots from Belfast" and features such wonderful and mature-audience-only moments as the story of Mister Reacharound or the ongoing trials and tribulations of Cleo, whose habit of having three-men-at-a-time antics keeps getting her into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dave...

Fysh wrote: »
    I'll second True Faith, it's got great artwork and the writing is up there amongst Ennis's finest work IMO.

:D
    Especially the segment, "Ready lads? One..Two..Three..You're under arrest!!". Cue gunfire.
    Chilling and thought provoking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dr. Worm

Maus, dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Dr. Worm wrote: »
    Maus, dude.

Ha, thats going to be the name of my first graphic novel.

Dude, where's my furry holocaust?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Kold your a genius, i think your the first ever to describe Maus as a furry holocaust comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just finished reading "Watchmen" really enjoyed it, my first Graphic Novel.

An recomendations for a newbie?

Hi Elmo, welcome to the forum :)

Please take a bit of time and read the charter, as there's a specific section on asking for recommendations. I've merged your post with the most recent other recommendation thread to avoid cluttering the forum.

Since you're new to the medium, how about posting in this thread to discuss what you made of Watchmen? There are a lot of people reading it for the first time or re-reading it at the moment what with the film coming up and it would be interesting to know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Hi Elmo, welcome to the forum :)

Please take a bit of time and read the charter, as there's a specific section on asking for recommendations. I've merged your post with the most recent other recommendation thread to avoid cluttering the forum.

Since you're new to the medium, how about posting in this thread to discuss what you made of Watchmen? There are a lot of people reading it for the first time or re-reading it at the moment what with the film coming up and it would be interesting to know what you think.

Thanks, is this a sticky?

I've Preacher number 9 sitting in front of me. I'm hesitant to start it because any other plans I have for the evening will go straight out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Kold wrote: »
    I've Preacher number 9 sitting in front of me. I'm hesitant to start it because any other plans I have for the evening will go straight out the window.

You're actually afraid to read it because you don't want it to end. I think we all felt the same when we got that volume. ;)

As for recommendations, unsurprisingly I am gonna go with 100 Bullets. IMO its just a perfect example of how good a story can be done in comic form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wexford Blue

Newbie to this, and a bit of a late comer to graphic novels (well, read the Dark Knight Returns in the early 90's and thought it was amazing, then probably didn't read another til Maus in the early 00's). College and poverty got in the way but reading and learning as much as i can now.

'From Hell' stands out for me, amazingly detailed and intricate storyline. Try the Sandman as well. Have a quick read before you treat yourself to one of those beautiful leather bound collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I also new to the comic/graphic novel scene and theres something I'm a bit confused about.

Like I thought that comics were in a set order and that you had to read them in that order (you know issue 1,2,3,4.......etc) but I see people recommending other people comics here all the time. Are there some comics that don't really fit into a series or that can be viewed as stand alone comics(eg The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween)

So can I just jump in anywhere or should I really start at the beginning of a series(if i can)?

Hi Animo, in terms of reading order it depends very much on the comic you're talking about.

When it comes to monthlies, you have either periodical monthly series (a new issue out every month/two months/whatever periodicity the publisher has set) or you get limited series (self-contained to some extent, in that if you only read the limited series you should theoretically get the whole story). Sometimes you get one-shots, which are essentially a one-issue limited series. Other times you get limited series which tie into other comics or are sequels to previous miniseries. In terms of "jumping in", it really depends on the series, although most ongoing series seem to try and address this by contriving a "jump-on" point every now and again whereby you can get all caught up on the story so far. (Others just have a recap page at the start of each issue that tells you the essential details so far).

When it comes to graphic novels, you also get a mixed bag. A lot of these are actually trade paperback or hardcover collections of material that has previously been printed in serialised form - for various reasons the collections tend to span a single story arc (this isn't always the case though). How well the collection holds its own as a standalone story depends on how old the material is (in recent years there has been more focus on telling a complete story over a series of issues, whereas going back further the focus was more on making sure that each single issue delivered a satisfying story). You also get collections of comics written for syndicated publication in newspapers, or webcomics. Then there are OGNs - these are Original Graphic Novels, ie stories written expressly as novel-length comics rather than as serialised chapters.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Fysh that helped clear it up a bit.

As I said I'm new to the comic/graphic novel scene so I said I'd a bit of research before I go out and buy anything. So far I'd say I'm gonna get Watchmen but from there I'm just not too sure. I'm thinking about some of the Batman ones eg TDKR, LH, AA etc they are stories within themselves aren't they?

• Advertisement

Animo wrote: »
    Thanks Fysh that helped clear it up a bit.

As I said I'm new to the comic/graphic novel scene so I said I'd a bit of research before I go out and buy anything. So far I'd say I'm gonna get Watchmen but from there I'm just not too sure. I'm thinking about some of the Batman ones eg TDKR, LH, AA etc they are stories within themselves aren't they?

The Dark Knight Returns is pretty much Frank Miller writing what his version of the last Batman story, and you don't really need any depth of background to enjoy it.

The Long Halloween is supposed to be a sequel to Batman: Year One, but I haven't read it so I don't know how easily you'd be able to follow it without having read Year One. (That said, Year One is a good enough story in its own right, so you should check it out).

I haven't read Arkham Asylum either (I'm not the biggest Grant Morrison fan) but from what I understand it's almost an Elseworlds story, essentially telling the history of Arkham Asylum as well as showing what happens when the Joker & co. take it over. I'm guessing you could read it without knowing much background, but with Grant Morrison you can never tell...

I'd also suggest checking out Mark Millar's Superman: Red Son - it's an alternate-reality version of Superman where he lands in Russia, not America, and becomes the symbol of Communism. You might also like All Star Superman - it's like a distilled version of all the stories that have been written about Superman in one 12-issue series. The first 6 issues are already out as a trade paperback, and the second collection should be out sometime next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Yep, most Batman stories are one-offs, although Miller followed TDKR up with The Dark Knight Strikes Again, (apparently its not that good though). I'm not as clued into Batman as others might be, but you should always check out the main one-offs everyone suggests, like The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, The Man Who Laughs, etc.
    As for Watchmen, definetely read it. When you do, come back and tell us whatcha think eh? :P

On another note, my local library got a good few comics and graphic novels in recently, including Watchmen, Year One, collected Moon Knight, 30 Days of Night, Lady Snowblood, V For Vendetta, Sin City, Fell and some other stuff.
    I recommend you check out your local library as well, you never know what they might have!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Gah, Fysh beat me to it! I've heard great stuff about Red Son, I'm not much of a Supes fan at all, but that sounds appealing. That, and All-Star Superman.
    Also, Arkham Asylum is a great read, though Morrison loses rambles on a little halfway-through. If anything, you should buy it for Dave McKean's peerless fully-painted artwork.
    Mind, the lettering still sucks!

Thanks lads. I apreciate ye giving me some info on this as I was getting overwhelmed. I think I'll take up yer advice and check out a few of the ones ye mentioned.

Actually, the library suggestion is a really good one. I'm within easy distance of 3 libraries where I live in London and they all have reasonably good graphic novel sections (all of them seem to have DKR and Batman: Year One, for example, and they've got some pretty good selections of other things). The Cork City library has a few decent items as well, so it's definitely worth checking them out.

The suggestions in this thread have all been pretty solid, I think - do you have any preferences in terms of what you're looking for? Any favourite characters or genres?

Actually, the library suggestion is a really good one. I'm within easy distance of 3 libraries where I live in London and they all have reasonably good graphic novel sections (all of them seem to have DKR and Batman: Year One, for example, and they've got some pretty good selections of other things). The Cork City library has a few decent items as well, so it's definitely worth checking them out.

The suggestions in this thread have all been pretty solid, I think - do you have any preferences in terms of what you're looking for? Any favourite characters or genres?

Sure I'll try out my local librara, although where I live I don't think that its going to be of much good! Suppose I'll have a look in anyways.

Preference, hmmm. I suppose I'm not too picky, as long as its good I don't have a problem with it. I'm gonna look at the obvious ones like Batman, Superman and from there I will branch out. Do Marvel also do the one off stories like DC, ya? Cos I wouldn't mind looking into a few of theirs either.

Yep, Marvel do them as well although I don't know of any I could wholeheartedly recommend off the top of my head. "Punisher: The End" is worth seeking out - it's a one-shot by Garth Ennis doing essentially the logical culmination of The Punisher as an idea. "Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E." is a self-contained 12-issue series by Warren Ellis that's been collected into two trade paperbacks - definitely worth looking at, it's exceptionally funny as well as being a very entertaining action comic. You might also enjoy The Ultimates (though I'd recommend only bothering with Ultimates and Ultimates 2 by Mark Millar, Ultimates 3 by Jeph Loeb has been almost universally panned).

To be honest, for recommendations outside of the superhero genre there are so many possible starting points it's impossible to pick one. I'd suggest spending some time looking through the "What comic are you reading?" thread, while it's over 1000 posts long at this stage there's a good bit of discussion in there and a lot of folks have taken the time to give their opinion on what they've enjoyed or disliked.

Thanks for all the recommendations Fysh, I'll goa and get some of the comics now. I'll tell ye all what I thought of them when I'm finished 'em.

Ya I was looking through the last few pages recently. Seems like a good place to get some info, although wading through 1000+ pages with dial up doesn't sounds too appealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

Most heartily recommend the miniseries Loki (collected in a lovely HC). Provides a wonderful interpretation of the Thor/Loki dynamic from the point of view of the horned one. The Art itself is reason to consider a purchase but the writing is top notch.

'Scalped' is currently top of my vertigo reading list. Its like the sopranos set in a Native American reservation with more grit and a faster paced storyline. The art and stories do certainly seem influenced by the HBO School of thought.

Dark horse's Conan series (Which has since been updated with a new series with the suffix "the cimmerian"). Very true to the original pulp material. Great Art (particularly in the first couple of arcs) and yarns that do indeed rip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

If you are interested in some dark kick ass action with great graphics try REX MUNDI.

Advertisement