Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dog

Options
  • 16-11-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

How much would it cost to keep a dalmation dog per year/month?
    He would be kept indoors
    And are dalmations playful dogs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

My girlfriend has a dalmatian and they are very playful but seem to be moody at times too. She feeds her a pint of food per meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

initial cost would be (approx)

neutering: €100
    vaccinations €40
    bed €30
    bowls €5
    collar & lead €15
    grooming brush €5

a good quality dry food such as burns, hills, royal canin etc. works out at about €2 per day so around €14 per week. natural wet food costs about the same.

they also need worming 2x per year @ €3 per tablet on average. so that's €6 a year on worming tablets.

dog licence is around €12 per year.

pet insurance is optional but handy if he needs an expensive surgery or treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Are Dallies playful? Are they what! Please don't get a Dalmatian without doing a bit of research on the breed first. They are extremely active, energetic dogs. They were bred to run along side horse-drawn carriages so you can just imagine how much exercise it takes to tire them out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I'm going to be cruel to be kind here, no one knows for sure how much it cost to keep an animal, they could be in great health for years then cost you 1000's in vet bills, in your heart of heart you have to ask your self the question would you be willing to sell your soul if your animal needed the money to get them better ?

What if they got hit by a car the bills could clock up fast.

Cancer more common than ever in animals now a days.

Dalmatians are prone to Arthritis, hip displacia and so are a lot of other big breeds.

Teeding ????????? I'm still replacing my socks from the last pup I had here and the remotes, DS, electric wires, doors, flooring, sofa's etc.

I'm not trying to put you of by any means it's great you want to offer a dog a home but if push came to shuff would you be ready and able to find big money when needed.

I have 16 animals and three on the way at the minute and work all the hours under the sun to keep them, if push came to shuff I'd sell the house, car and the kids (just kidding) to make sure they get what they need.

Kerry gold has covered the basic's, and don't forget pet insurance from 100 to 200 euro a year will help you keep your house and car and the kids if you like.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If you're open to having a large breed, and you're going to keep him or her indoors, why not rescue a greyhound? You'll save a fortune in the cost of the dog, and greyhounds are exceptionally healthy compared to other pedigree breeds. They're also fantastic, loyal, affectionate pets, and there are WAY TOO MANY to choose from in the shelters unfortunately.

Edit: Sorry, don't know much about dalmations, but I know they're expensive, and they need LOTS of exercise - a greyhound only needs 2 *20 min walks a day .... the hardest part about walking a greyhound is getting him off the couch in the first place :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

kerrysgold wrote: »
    dog licence is around €12 per year.
    Out of curiousity does anyone still buy this? I havent bought one since 1988 (i was 11) and insisted my parents get one for our dog at the time...havent got one since!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Glowing wrote: »
    If you're open to having a large breed, and you're going to keep him or her indoors, why not rescue a greyhound? You'll save a fortune in the cost of the dog, and greyhounds are exceptionally healthy compared to other pedigree breeds. They're also fantastic, loyal, affectionate pets, and there are WAY TOO MANY to choose from in the shelters unfortunately.

Wow, never thought of that! But I say +1 to that!
    I was going to suggest rescuing an animal too - cross breeds also make great pets, they are generally friendly and don't have a lot of the medical complications that you get in pure bred dogs.

Food wise our pointer (about the same size) goes through a 7.5 kg bag of burns food every 2 weeks or so, which is €30 a bag.
    Others have pointed out the other costs, such as vets, worming, licence, accessories, etc

At least you are doing your research first, be mindful about how much exercise any dog needs, but especially large breeds. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that greyhounds are not quite as bad, despite what they are bred for, they do like to lounge around the house a bit more than other working dogs.
    If you were to adopt an older / retired greyhound it would be better in lots of ways, you wouldn't have the puppy stage to get through, and older = calmer (usually) and a little less active.

Also think about your circumstances in the future, you might plan on having a family, or maybe work commitments might change if you are working up the ladder. All these factors will mean less time with the dog, you don't want it bored and going out of it's mind just because you don't have time for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Glowing wrote: »

The Greyhound would be a brilliant idea, but before any dog arrives I think the OP (or anyother prospective owner) should read and answer honestly Beths post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dalmations lovely dog but needs lots of exercise like a lot of other dogs ie hounds and hunting dogs unless you are young and fit and have lots of land keep away from them -go for the smaller dog i always recommend the staffy ,dosent get a lot of the ailments other pedigree dogs get and dosent need a lot of exercise-i used to breed and show them for 30 years -i now have a english bulldog but this breed can be costly

Well, I work with a rescue and we have taken in a lot of Dalmatians over the years. People just have the 101 Dalmatians film in their mind and have no idea how much hard work these dogs can be. They are surrendered to us when the owners can't cope.

Don't get me wrong, they are sweet, lovable, affectionate, silly dogs but they need a firm hand in training and a LOT of exercise. They'd go doo-lally if left alone in a garden all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Completely agree with the above- why not a greyhound or a lurcher from a shelter or a dog pound? They make great pets, generally have less health problems, will cost you less as they would most liekly be neutered, microchipped etc and you can get them in all ages depending on your needs. Plus, you give an unwated animal a home and they really do know it. I have two rescues myself and would never ever get a odg from a breeder, knowing they are making money on me while there are so many unwated healthy dogs put to sleep every year. If you insist on a Dalmatian there is one in Wicklow SPCA- lovely young dog- available for adoption! And they are very good with re-homing, all animals are clean, spayed and chipped, with all vaccinations before they go to their new owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

Im going to try and addopt one
    want to get one as young as possible
    Does Anyone know if dalmations tend to run away a lot as i have a boxer and he wonders off and we evuentaly find him in the pound it happens 2-3 times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

are you serious? if you cant keep him secure you shouldnt have any dog at all.

andreac wrote: »
    Its Just when im having a childs party or sumthing and the doors are all left open he just wonders out ,Usualy he wouldnt move outside the house unless i bring him out he would just stand at the door just the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    Does Anyone know if dalmations tend to run away a lot as i have a boxer and he wonders off and we evuentaly find him in the pound it happens 2-3 times a year
    It happens 2-3 times a year!!!! Madness!!What a ridiculous question!! Every animal has the capacity to run off if you dont keep an eye on it!

Are you the same person asking about how to become a vet?! It seriously sounds like you need a few lectures in common sense, not veterinary medicine!
    andreac wrote: »
    Exactly!!

Thanks N Need For anyone to reply any more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You also posted in a seperate thread saying your Boxer has been missing for a few months....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055413146

You need to concentrate on securing your house/garden before getting another dog. As a previous poster said, any dog has the capacity to wander if given the oppurtunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you for real? your dog is still missing and you are asking about another dog? i think this a troll. And if its not then you certainly dont deserve another one.:mad:

How many times has your dog been in the pound? You're darn lucky it hasn't been put to sleep or rehomed to someone else on the occasions it was there.

If you can't keep your dog safe, you don't deserve to have one dog, not to mind two.

No rescue in their right mind would let you adopt a Dalmatian from them.

Sorry to be so blunt, but FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I hope this isn't serious.

If your current dog "wanders off" then NO WAY should you be considering another dog until you learn to look after and be responsible about the dog you already have! i.e. build a fence and take it for walks in a controlled manner.

You are extremely lucky that your dog hasn't been put down in the pound or killed by a car. If your in a rural area your even luckier that he hasn't been shot by a farmer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement