Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Star Trek XI Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Looks pretty cool although there's a lot of shiny and vibrantly colorful stuff that makes it look a little cartoony. I still cant wait to see it. There's a lot of talk from fans about how it's changing the history of Trek and how its too different from TOS. I think it's about time the franchise got a shake up. The casting is pretty good. The new Uhura looks super hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Looks pretty cool although there's a lot of shiny and vibrantly colorful stuff that makes it look a little cartoony. ....

I agree, It looks very action-ey like First Contact. I very much enjoyed First Contact the first time I saw it but sorry to say it wore very thin on repeated viewing. You can't tell much from a 2 minute trailer but they seem to be going a bit over the top on young Kirk as a rebel.
    This new one certainly looks like plenty of money was spent on the sets and FX. I love the original alert Klaxon sound you can hear in the trailer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm very excited by the new movie...I haven't seen any indication that JJ is doing any disservice to the franchise.

I like the idea of Kirk as a rebellious youth as it fits into his future character perfectly...I never did buy the idea of Kirk as a grade A swot lol.

Quinto and Urban look incredible as Spock and Bones, respectively.

And I love the new Enterprise :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Goodshape wrote: »
    Good man there

thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

It's starting to have promise.

Could do without that car chase scene, that looked unbelievably cheesy. Oh and the bridges and corridors on the Enterprise look awful, pvc/plastic white everywhere :mad:

Highlight for me was finally hearing Simon Pegg as Scotty, I can rest easy now I think the character is in good hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

I really think it looks brilliant! JJ Abrams I believe has taken it to a different level, it needed that, I love star trek when they're fighting, not into the science aspect of it, im just annoyed I have to wait until may to see it!!!

chrussell wrote: »
    I love star trek when they're fighting, not into the science aspect of it
    I love the science aspect. The fighting can be good but it shouldn't be at the core. Hope they haven't forgotten about that.

Star Trek is about the trek.. exploring the galaxy and seeing new things.

I'm optimistic about the film but the writers previous track record (incl. Transformers and MI:3) has me a bit worried that this will be all flash and very little substance.

It'd be a shame if they jeopardise what could be an interesting Star Trek movie franchise in favour of a "fun" "action packed" but ultimately forgettable special effects showcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

looks like fast and the furious: the final frontier :confused:

kirk looks too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

I like the look of it; However Kirk wasnt the first captain of the enterprise...... (http://www.ditl.org/pagotherperson.php?35)

Id say theres going to be a while pile of inconsistancies.

• Advertisement

Cryos wrote: »
    I like the look of it; However Kirk wasnt the first captain of the enterprise...... (http://www.ditl.org/pagotherperson.php?35)

Kirk isn't captain of the Enterprise in the film, Christopher Pike is. Much as it should be.

coolbeans so :)

el rabitos wrote: »
    looks like fast and the furious: the final frontier :confused:

kirk looks too young.

Star Trek: 90210 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

"Kirk looks too young"

I keep seeing people say this.

People reckon he looks to young to be a 28-30 year old (even though he does look that age)?

Or people think he's too young to be an ensign or whatever?

What exactly do people mean when they say this :confused:

Btw, all but two of the main crew are under 30.

"too young to captain a spaceship", I think is the main grievance.

But he's supposed to be young :

"Kirk's Starfleet service through the late 2250s and early 2260s was rewarded with a rapid rise through the ranks. At 31 years of age in 2264, he was promoted to Captain. Not only the youngest captain in the fleet's history at that time, Kirk was slated to command one of the twelve Constitution-class starships, the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)."

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/James_T._Kirk#The_USS_Enterprise_and_her_five-year_mission

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nice trailer there man. Thanks for that. I can't wait for it's release, looks fantastic. I am really pleased the film has a summer release, the first time a Star Trek movie theatre release has happened since Star Trek V:The Final Frontier (1989)

JIMHO "Kirk" looks a bit more convincing than Spock 90210 in this pic and also on that recent Entertainment Weekly cover

3046977311_375a30cd8f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It shows promise, but I hope it doesn't go down a batman begins/the dark knight route ie silly narcissistic pyscobabble about the characters intended to make the film "dark" and "intense" when its just really grating. Action packed is ok, The Wrath of Khan worked along similar lines, I hope they don't totally omit the philosophical themes about humanity, science etc which are really integral to trek.

This guy (whoever he is - he seems to know his Trek) has seen the preview footage and has a very positive view of it.

Executive summary:
    we got a very strong look at the eager and hungry versions of our favorite Star Trek characters. They are not jokey or ridiculous. They’re honorable interpretations of the characters. And through it all – the, “I’ve never been a fan of Trek,” shines through. This isn’t like any Trek I’ve seen before.

Seriously.

It isn’t on caffeine or speed or anything like that. It just isn’t stuck in the pattern that I’ve seen for the last 40 or so years. This is not ponderous STAR TREK, nor is it just a sit com version. This is an aggressive science fiction action adventure set in a very complex reinterpretation of the Star Trek universe.

It sounds good, its promising if a non trek person finds it good; Lets hope that us trek people arnt dissapointed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tronborg2000

i wonder will they show how Christopher Pike gets horribly mutilated and ends up in the big black Chair and has to use lights to communicate.... ???

i wonder will they show how Christopher Pike gets horribly mutilated and ends up in the big black Chair and has to use lights to communicate.... ???

<two flashes>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tronborg2000

is that 2 for yes or 2 for no... ? Pike is the Captain and Kirk is smuggled aboard by Bones... or so the legend goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Shatner's comments on the trailer, specifically the portrayal of the 'young' kirk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fu656gGkhI

Niska - that' s the funniest thing I.ve seen in ages.

Also, it really does seem to me that the young Kirk says "my name is James Siberius Kirk.." Not Tiberius. Can there possibly be any significance to this or am I just hearing it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

A few seconds of extra footage on this trailer version: http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/startrek/Trlr2_internet_480p.mov
    Leonard is looking very old.

Advertisement