Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed choosing Graphics Card for Dell C521 & Vostro 200 for Far Cry 2

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

##Not sure if this post should be here, or in the Building and Upgrading, or Graphics forum - mods, feel free to move if its necessary##

Hi folks,
    Maybe some of you knowledgable folks can help.

I downloaded Far Cry when it was a freebie on Bargain Alerts last year and really enjoyed it. Now that Far Cry 2 is out, I'd really like to play this too. Modest to medium settings would be fine for me.

I'm not too well up on the latest graphics cards, but I know you need a pretty good one to play the likes of Crysis and Far Cry 2.

I have a Dell Dimension C521 and know it takes a half height / low profile PCI-e card.
    Question: What's the best ATI or Nvidia LP card that the C521 will take without changing the stock Dell PSU (I think its around 300W)?
    A link to a suitable one would be great.

If its of any importance, my 20" LCD has a native resolution of 1600x1200 and my OS is Vista.

Also, I have a Dell Vostro 200. This can take a regular height PCI-e card, so a similar question for this PC.
    What's the best normal PCI-e card that this PC can take without changing the original Dell PSU (approx 300W)?

Thanks in advance,
    MtM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hi Mike,

Firstly sorry I think I forgot to respond to your last message about cards, only remember after seeing this.

There aren't a great range of performance LP cards available, but the best ones around are decent and will work on your 300w PSU.

The fastest one would the 4550, the Sapphire version even comes with the LP plate in the box, so you don't need anything else. There's a passive version of the same card available, but in a small case I'd prefer the active cooling.

Crysis and Far Cry 2 are both demanding games though, especially Crysis. On the 4550, Crysis: Warhead seems to generally run at decent, playable levels at 1280x1024, low-some middling settings. Far Cry 2, at 1280x1024 medium-ish. Other more recent games, like Unreal Tournament 3, Call of Duty 4, and so on, all run much better.

You'd be better off putting a card into your Vostro 200, this card would work and is astounding value for money. Crysis would be playable at 1680x1050 medium-ish, or at 1280x800 medium - which is quite an achievement considering the game in question, I had to run the game at 1680x1050 medium-high with dual 8800GTS 512mb cards.

edit: An 8800GT or even 8800GTS should or may also work, check around various forums for more info on the higher requirement cards. Dell PSU's are always rated very conservatively, but I'm not sure exactly how much in the case of your model.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi TerrorFirmer,

thanks for the advice so far.

It looks like the ATi cards draw less power in general.
    How would an 8800GT or 8800GTS compare to the Radeon HD 4670 on a game like Far Cry 2 or Crysis?

Regards,
    Mike

The 8800GT would be an improvement, the 8800GTS a further improvement yet again on the 8800GT. With the 8800GTS (now easier found as the 9800GTX), anything bar Crysis should be fine at 1680x1050 highest settings.

Thanks TerrorFirmer.

There seems to be a price gulf between the Ati 4670 and 8800GT.
    Hasn't the 8800GT been out for a long time now?

I've found one here that I'm considering here:

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4S5P&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=8800GT&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

I'm still leaning towards an ATI card for PSU reasons though.
    What's the next step up from the ATi 4670 that would compete with a 8800GTS?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Advertisement

4850, it's about the same as the 9800GTX+

The 8800GT has been out a while but is still a great card. It's been re-named since as the 9800GT.

Don't be put off by the price difference between 4670 and 8800GT - the 4670 is more or less neck and neck with the 9600GT, slightly slower than the 8800GT. It's a stellar card for the money and if it were priced based on performance, it would cost more in the region of 80-90 if compared to the prices of cards in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

How about using one of these to supplement your original psu http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=325874
    and then add a 4850.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Been thinking about upgrading the graphics card in my Dell Dimension C521 aswell so overall is the sapphire version 4550 my best option? tia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

I have the same model aswell, and thinking of upgrading the graphics card aswell, so yeah a 4550 is probably the best, Dunno which one passive or fan.

The power draw seems to be pretty low on these, so I'd go for the active fan cooling on this Sapphire 4550.

Has anyone actually ordered one of these from Komplett?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=388728&view=links#ProductTabs

Is there definately a LP bracket in the box to allow it to fit the C521? It doesn't say so in the product specs.

MtM

• Advertisement

If you read any of the reviews they all say that the package includes an LP plate. :)

saph4550_04s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 badger123

i have also got the Dell Dimension C521 and am looking to upgrade the graphics card and also the RAM, i have seen the graphics cards pple have already reccomended for the c521 but is there as card that meets my system requirements:

Dell Dimension C521
    OS Windows Vista Home Premium
    300w power supply
    Nvidia 6150 LE graphics card
    2gb of RAM
    150GB hd

i dont have a large budget £100 max
    thx

The same advice applies, also get more ram. 2gb ram + Ati 4550 = sub 100 euro and massive boost in general and games performance. Assuming your machine has 4 banks, if not, then a 4gb kit + 4550 will = about 110-115, but you can sell the older ram to gain back 20 euro or so.

Advertisement