Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build / Socket 1366

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What a farce. I wouldn't have bothered getting a quad for that reason alone, you really are spending money unnecessarily. It honestly would be the same as buying dual GTX280's because 'after seeing what Crysis needs to run'. It's another exception to the general rule - by all accounts so far a disaterous port eats up system resources with no evident return.
    I do see what you mean, but the same could be said when I bought the 3800+ and the 7800GT a few years back. Well beyond what I needed at the time, but if the mobo hadn't died, I'd still be using them now, three years on.

Having into it, it seems the quads are "meant" to be good for video processing, which will be nice, as Vegas used the 3800+, so I'm hoping I'll see a nice gain from using it with the quad. In all honesty, I suppose my heart was set on the quads, to be fair. I did save money, though, from this thread. Went 4GB instead of 8GB, and stayed with the single 4870, rather than, as Anti put it, the "4870x2 hiper XXX OC XL WTF BBQ card".

As for Crysis, meh. My 7800GT ran that fairly nicely. It'll be interesting how the new rig will run the full conversion Crysis mod, "Mechwarrior: Living Legends", though. That will be interesting.

normal_3a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

What a farce. I wouldn't have bothered getting a quad for that reason alone, you really are spending money unnecessarily. It honestly would be the same as buying dual GTX280's because 'after seeing what Crysis needs to run'. It's another exception to the general rule - by all accounts so far a disaterous port eats up system resources with no evident return.

in fairness Terror, this is the way PC gaming is going to go more and more. no harm paying the extra for a quad imo if you're planning on holding onto the system for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'd have gone for a q6600, p45 & a cheaper 4GB kit, saved the ~250 quid, and gone for a 24" monitor http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=23051&agid=367 instead, which will last you well beyond your next rig.

Advertisement