Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young thugs in Togher getting away with it again.

Options
  • 17-11-2008 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

I was dropping a friend out to Togher one night last week, when i noticed a group of hooded teenagers at the roundabout on Togher Road, the one beside Whytes Centra, shouting abuse at a passing car. As i passed them they threw a stone in our direction, leaving a nice little crack on my windscreen. I didn't bother to stop and apprehend them as there were about ten of these scumbags, so i wasn't going to win that battle. After i had dropped my friend out, i rang the guards in Anglesea St and told them what had happened, and was told there would be a squad car there within ten mins. These thugs were throwing stones at every single passing car, hitting most of them. I pulled in beside Centra on the way back to see if the guards would come. I waited a half hour there, watching them throw stone after stone at passing traffic, they then lost interest and waded off up the Duncloygne road.

Now this to me, was a serious situation. Not only were they congregating with criminal intent and abusing passers by, they were also causing criminal damage which could have easily resulted in a serious accident. The guards were notified but didn't bother turning up. No doubt they were too busy dealing with more pressing issues such as inspecting vehicles tax and insurance discs. I fail to believe that in one half hour, Anglesea St could not find even one squad car to dispatch to Togher to apprehend these bunch of scumbags. These are the same kids that will be pedalling drugs and beating people up in ten years time, and the guards wont want to know then either. Garda Siochána, yeah, some guardians of the peace they are! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did you phone back in the 30 minutes that you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Probably off catching real criminals.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

The guards are some joke!
    They are sh!tless themselves.
    There was an incident the night before halloween if a house across from where i am where a couple of scumbags threw rocks smashing through 2 windows.
    The scumbags were round 14 or 15, maybe 6 or 7 of them lads and girls.

The guards arrive and me and my brother were out with the neighbours talking to the guards, the guards say they cant do much, then a person with the neighbours runs up and says "the knackers that smashed your windows are right around the corner throwing stuff at other houses".

To which one guard says "ah but sure when we get there they'll be gone" and continued to do nothing.

They then said, look we'll text you if anything else happens.

They are some joke, something should be done as the guards aren't doing their job, little scumbags are getting away with stuff and those scum probably put through a few more windows that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Get their shoulder numbers (if they are not on display they are out of uniform) and remind them you will be contacting their Super and will quote them and have your witnesses do the same, this is not an acceptable behaviour for a member of the force.

MC

There was an incident the night before halloween if a house across from where i am where a couple of scumbags threw rocks smashing through 2 windows.

The guards arrive and me and my brother were out with the neighbours talking to the guards, the guards say they cant do much, then a person with the neighbours runs up and says "the knackers that smashed your windows are right around the corner throwing stuff at other houses".

To which one guard says "ah but sure when we get there they'll be gone" and continued to do nothing.

They are some joke, something should be done as the guards aren't doing their job, little scumbags are getting away with stuff and those scum probably put through a few more windows that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Victor wrote: »
    Did you phone back in the 30 minutes that you were there?
    No i didn't bother, as i have it this before and have gotten the whole ''we said we'll send someone out, now relax'' story. It would have made no difference to phone again.
    Prob would have been quicker if you rang Togher Garda Station rather than Anglesea St.
    Yeah i was thinking afterwards the one on Tramore Road would have been a better bet, but then again, ineptitude in our police force is widespread. Had i rang another station you can be sure they would have done nothing about it either.

At this stage, having had numerous experiences of bad policing in Limerick, Kerry and Cork, i'm convinced that the majority of guards join the force merely out of prestige, instead of genuinely trying to make a positive difference to society. They just don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

They just don't care.

Or they couldnt be assed hauling people to court to get no custodial sentence despite the clearl criminal activity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Over the last 3 years I've had to call the Guards 3 times. Once for a traffic accident. One for a girl I saw being beaten up by 4 other girls and one time when I was whiteness to a large fight outside hillbillys. They only ever showed up to the traffic incident and after 3 weeks of waiting they told me that they had miss placed the details of the crash. So I had to fork for the repair myself...
    I have a few friends that have joined the Guards recently and they are good lads so lets hope that with the new generation of cops coming through that we will have a somewhat effective force soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You do know is is a disciplinary offence for a Garda to loose his / her notes?

Does the Centra not have CCTV on the outside of the building as well as the ones they have inside (have been in the shop, but not for a while) and having worked for a Centra shop I know it is mandatory for them to have CCTV inside the shop as Musgraves require it, which would identify the scum when they come in for their bottle of coke to fill their vodka into so they don't get done for drinking in public....

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

We had our windows smashed recently. My mother was next to the window when it happened and was very shaken. My brother ran out and caught up with one of the youngsters who supplied the name of the one who did it. Guards came out and took the name but apparently the boys family are 'difficult to deal with'.

Nevertheless they said they would call over to them. After days of not hearing we got onto the station but all they did was take a message. Eventually we asked a guard in the family if they could check up on it. It was filed as 'suspect unknown'. Doubt we will be getting any justice!

Theres a reason theres so many scumbags in Ireland. Whats to stop that boy smashing our windows again? No doubt he'll go onto more serious crimes!

Having lived abroad I find the police here an absolute joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

We had our windows smashed recently. My mother was next to the window when it happened and was very shaken. My brother ran out and caught up with one of the youngsters who supplied the name of the one who did it. Guards came out and took the name but apparently the boys family are 'difficult to deal with'.

Nevertheless they said they would call over to them. After days of not hearing we got onto the station but all they did was take a message. Eventually we asked a guard in the family if they could check up on it. It was filed as 'suspect unknown'. Doubt we will be getting any justice!

Theres a reason theres so many scumbags in Ireland. Whats to stop that boy smashing our windows again? No doubt he'll go onto more serious crimes!

Having lived abroad I find the police here an absolute joke!

My god what part of the city did this happen?

Get their shoulder numbers (if they are not on display they are out of uniform) and remind them you will be contacting their Super and will quote them and have your witnesses do the same, this is not an acceptable behaviour for a member of the force.

MC

Yea We should have done that alright, but it wasn't our house and we didn't really think of that, the guard clearly didn't like us either as my brother replied "there on foot, you're in a car"....he didn't respond to that just gave a look and the neighbours said later that when we had left the guard made a comment "what were they doing coming over"..... What a patethic excuse of a guard that guy is.

Clearly a majority of the guards are like this and their should be a revamp of the system.

My god what part of the city did this happen?

bishopstown

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

bishopstown

Curraheen perchance?

bishopstown

I thought bishopstown was a nice area.:eek:

Did this happen in one of corks so called rougher areas?

Kold wrote: »
    Curraheen perchance?

Nope, Bishopscourt!
    Had a visit today from gardai today thanks to family influence. Cant really go into details since case is ongoing but we've been told that considering who the boys parents are it would be better to let it go.
    Sorry but Im just too disgusted to elaborate!

Did this happen in one of corks so called rougher areas?

This happened around College Road area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

If the stonethrowing incident you reported happened last Saturday night near the Centra then the gardaí did arrive about 11.30 or midnight and they went into the laneway beside the dentists. Didn't see the result but there was a group of "hoodies" standing around there afterwards again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Lads Togher is a district headquarters which would work off one patrol car. Would be lucky if there is two gardai in it.

Its not as though they were sitting around for a couple of hours in the station.

They have to prioritise calls and work off a list that might have 10 calls in it. Stone throwing teenagers would probably be anywhere from midway to the bottom of the list.

Its not the fault of the gardai, if they are policing an entire garda area with probably four gardai working at any one time (two in the station)

Dublin is alot different with regard to man power compared to country areas in that they might have 8+ working at any one time in a dublin station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I thought bishopstown was a nice area.:eek:

thre's scum everywhere, just a greater concentration of them in some areas more than others.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Lads Togher is a district headquarters which would work off one patrol car. Would be lucky if there is two gardai in it.

Its not as though they were sitting around for a couple of hours in the station.

They have to prioritise calls and work off a list that might have 10 calls in it. Stone throwing teenagers would probably be anywhere from midway to the bottom of the list.

Its not the fault of the gardai, if they are policing an entire garda area with probably four gardai working at any one time (two in the station)

Dublin is alot different with regard to man power compared to country areas in that they might have 8+ working at any one time in a dublin station.

We all know that guards need to prioritise and stuff. Yet what we are saying is that they are lazy and afraid of doing any work, they'd prioritise to check tax on cars rather than stop people throwing rocks through windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Chief--- wrote: »

Togher is one of the main stations in Cork city. Any time I've been in it, it's been around 7-9pm and there's been 5 or so gardai visible behind the garda at the hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ancee wrote: »
    If the stonethrowing incident you reported happened last Saturday night near the Centra then the gardaí did arrive about 11.30 or midnight and they went into the laneway beside the dentists. Didn't see the result but there was a group of "hoodies" standing around there afterwards again.

It was the Tuesday nite.

Advertisement