Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Broadband - HELP!

Options
  • 17-11-2008 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here!

Just wondering, I am currently with Imagine Telecom with my broadband.. on a 6mb line at the moment I think. Ever since the line upgrades I have been getting unplayable pings. 100+ on UK servers etc. etc.

Luckily, my contract is expiring this week. I want to move providers asap, but I am not sure on where to move to..

The current exchange I use is Arklow, Wicklow. I play CoD2/CoD4/CS/CSS etc. etc. incase any of you were wondering.

The main purpose of my internet is to play games as I have played at a top level in CoD since the beginning of CoD2 and my net is really really letting me down the past month in terms of pings.

My pings increase during prime times (6pm-11pm) but as I said, this has only been happening since the upgrade so I am putting my problem down to interleaving more than anything else. Imagine refuse to turn interleaving off, saying they can't do it because Eircom are the ones that have put it on my line due to the speed 6/7mb. They recommended a downgrade in my line to 3mb, saying this would eliminate the interleaving, but still, the prime time surely would still give me a bad ping, yea?

Anyways, any recommendations on new ISP's would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any fact on this matter about my unplayable pings on why I am getting these pings, would be appreciated also.

Really any information on this ping problem at all will be appreciated..lol.

Thanks in advance guys/gals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

For gaming you'll need to downgrade to a 3mb package. Which provider you take is entirely up to you. From personal experience i'd recommend BT for dsl, but experiences vary wildly with all dsl providers so it's best you decide for yourself. Just make sure you get the 3mb package!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Dropping UTV for this reason, ping trebled after the upgrades, even on the 3Mb package, going with UPC instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm with UPC on the 10 MB package, with a 1 MB up... Always worked great for me, even with files downloading in the background! I'm on 360 though, can't comment on PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Im having major problems with BT at the moment pings really high in the evening in the Carlow area.
    They wont do anything!! they just tell me its not there fault so f off. Really annoying at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'm with upc and game online a lot on the ps3, dont get any lag unless bad host but ping on speed test is bout 80ms or lower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

totally out of idea's at this stage cant afford to switch and I kinda need to play games :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 degenerate

thanks for all the info and help guys!

So the 3mb package with eircom for example, will that be decent for playing games? the home advanced package I was told was good for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

If dsl is your only realistic option, then for the time being a 3mb package with one of the larger providers Eircom, BT etc. will probably be your best bet. If you can get upc or smart in your area then maybe you should switch to them. UPC is cable based and thus unaffected by upgrades and smart use their own adsl2+ equipment also unaffected by the upgrades.

Edit: Looks like the home advance package is the 7mb package and should be avoided. It will have high interleaving. Try the 3mb home plus if you want to go with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Basically unless Smart/Magnet/Upc/Bt's LLU are in your area you are stuck with what is essentially the same provider no matter who you are with, the only difference will be in the packages.

Advertisement