Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster V New Zealand. Thomond Park. 18 Nov. 7:30 pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

flanzer wrote: »
    Lads what a night. As a Leinsterman, living in Dubliin with my girlfriend from Tipp, can I change my allegience?! I'm so proud to be an Irishman today. I'm so proud that our rugby nation can attract world class players in Howlett, Tipoki, Mafi, Comtempi etc. I'd reckon after NZ experience in Thomand and Limerick over the last number of days or even couple of years, they might see Munster as an very attracive team to play for in the near future

I sat with our 6 week old baby girl and watched what I reckon was the best game of rugby ever. My little girl didn't stir at all, her wide eyes firmly fixed on the TV amazed at this spectacle. I know what team she'll be supporting when she grows up!

Boy did she stir when the final whistle blew though!!!

Ah don't be switching allegiance! This game may prove to have a huge beneficial effect on the profile of provincial rugby in Ireland on a worldwide scale.

I think a few elderly All Blacks might think twice before getting the plane to Paris or Biarritz in the future. Maybe a few more might follow the example of Dougie Howlett and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Silly comparison but if you want to go with it then Ireland v Romania was in 1990. 18 years ago.

In fairness could have Been a UK 2nd Team ! With the exception of Ronnie Whelan, Packie and Kevin Moran and Dave o leary came on as a sub

Sorry to be going off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gcgirl wrote: »
    In fairness could have Been a UK 2nd Team ! With the exception of Ronnie Whelan, Packie and Kevin Moran and Dave o leary came on as a sub

And I'm sure the Howletts in Kinsale were very proud last night :rolleyes:

I watched the 2 HEC Finals in Dalkey pubs and the whole pubs were entirely up for Munster. But yes you're right. I also assume having watched Leinster matches in Munster you'd know what i'm talking about though yes!?

Absolutely, thats what we all like to see. Sure I was watching the Leinster semi-final (or quarter?) against Leicester a couple of years ago down in Limerick and there was no question about it, you wanted 'Les Bleus' to win.

And I'm sure the Howletts in Kinsale were very proud last night :rolleyes:

You completely missed my point :( Stick to your soccer and go off an invest in a Man city Jersey :D And this is completley tounge in cheek !!;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

My first sport was soccer i come from a soccer background I support my local eircom league team (Bray Wanderers if your asking) I Have never seen a soccer player shed a tear at their national athem, I have seen John Haynes cry like a baby at the national athem because it means something to him, You have to want to wear that green jersey! With soccer esp PL its all about the money nothing about the pride of wearing your Countrys jersey!

My point is that this thread, last night's match and everything else about it has nothing to do with soccer. No one mentioned soccer. No one made any comparison until you did and I can't see any reason why you would mention soccer except to have a dig at it - otherwise, why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

As an aside and ever so slightly OT, its amazing how Munster rugby seems to transcend the normal limitations of the game in the public consciousness, just look at the number of views this thread is getting and compare it to the Ireland/AB clash or indeed pretty much any other thread on the rugby forum...you cannot deny that for whatever reason this thing has captured the public imagination in a way that rarely occurs with rugby in Ireland....astonishing.

My point is that this thread, last night's match and everything else about it has nothing to do with soccer. No one mentioned soccer. No one made any comparison until you did and I can't see any reason why you would mention soccer except to have a dig at it - otherwise, why bother?

Agreed. Completely off-point and unbecoming of the civilised nature of Boards.ie!

If You have a problem with Munster/ABs Match why bother posting in rugby !! You have Connaught Ulster Leinster Fans all together With Munster fans saying how good the match was, The Passion The Pride of Wearing the Jersey on both sides! I really enjoyed the match last night inc the Munster Haka and i would have loved just to have been in Limerick last night !!

• Advertisement

toomevara wrote: »
    As an aside and ever so slightly OT, its amazing how Munster rugby seems to transcend the normal limitations of the game in the public consciousness, just look at the number of views this thread is getting and compare it to the Ireland/AB clash or indeed pretty much any other thread on the rugby forum...you cannot deny that for whatever reason this thing has captured the public imagination in a way that rarely occurs with rugby in Ireland....astonishing.

We can all definitely agree on that point. And I for one am enjoying the healthy debate on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

And a big thank you to the odds-compilers in Paddy Power for a lovely handicap of Munster +26pts - (guess they were Leinster fans;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

RichTea wrote: »
    I think a few elderly All Blacks might think twice before getting the plane to Paris or Biarritz in the future. Maybe a few more might follow the example of Dougie Howlett and co.

Which elderly Kiwis are you referring to? They've lost Jez Collins, Luke McAlister, Rico Gear for example to European teams. Those players are hardly "elderly".

What you should be wishing for, in my opinion, is Irish players to be that inspired and stick their hands up for provincial selection so that overseas players are not required. The amount of overseas players plying their trade in an already small enough player pool is the reason that there is no solid backup for the tighthead, fly-half or inside centre positions.

Absolutely, thats what we all like to see. Sure I was watching the Leinster semi-final (or quarter?) against Leicester a couple of years ago down in Limerick and there was no question about it, you wanted 'Les Bleus' to win.

no to be fair, I have met a lot of decent Munster fans who would share your sentiments but unfortunately the majority (maybe its in a group situation or something) veer the other way.

Sorry to be going off topic

Niall Quinn
    Kevin Sheedy
    Staunton

Where was Morris from?

There were more Irish than "granny irish" playing that day.

My problem with the "celebrating a loss" thing isn't exclusive to Munster. I felt sick watchin Mcguirk and co celebrating us almost coming back in paris a few years ago. We feckin lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

FYP

This is getting silly. I realise you have a problem with the fact that neither team was at full strength. Whatever. It was an incredible game. If you can't appreciate that, then that's your problem.

Off-topic: Ireland-Romania was a boring game. Romania were missing Lacatus. Timoftei's penalty was rubbish.

The game meant way more than the Munster-NZ match last night... but I don't think it was a better game.

Which elderly Kiwis are you referring to? They've lost Jez Collins, Luke McAlister, Rico Gear for example to European teams. Those players are hardly "elderly".

Sorry, I really didn't make it clear that i was referring to the future. When the likes of Weepu, So'olialo etc if they want to move to Europe for a bit of Heineken Cup rugby, Munster and Leinster may well be the first port of call. The choice of 'elderly' was a bit of a red herring.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If You have a problem with Munster/ABs Match why bother posting in rugby !! You have Connaught Ulster Leinster Fans all together With Munster fans saying how good the match was, The Passion The Pride of Wearing the Jersey on both sides! I really enjoyed the match last night inc the Munster Haka and i would have loved just to have been in Limerick last night !!
    I don't have a problem with Munster. I have a problem with you having a problem with Soccer and feeling the need to highlight it in a Rugby-related Thread.

I would have loved to see Munster win last night. But they didn't. End of.

no to be fair, I have met a lot of decent Munster fans who would share your sentiments but unfortunately the majority (maybe its in a group situation or something) veer the other way.

Niall Quinn
    Kevin Sheedy
    Staunton

Where was Morris from?

There were more Irish than "granny irish" playing that day.

My problem with the "celebrating a loss" thing isn't exclusive to Munster. I felt sick watchin Mcguirk and co celebrating us almost coming back in paris a few years ago. We feckin lost!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Sheedy_(Irish_footballer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

That's a bit of an exaggeration. No one has posted here saying Munster played poorly and only one person said they were glad they lost.

However, to be ranking it in the best sporting events ever and getting excited about a possible DVD is crazy considering what it was.

If someones opinion is that it was a great sporting occasion or the greatest they were at or saw or whatever, then that is their opinion and there is nothing ridiculous about it.

If you think it wasn't then that is your opinion.

My personal opinion is that it was a super sporting occasion, the fact that it wasn't first string players makes it even better as far as I am concerned, even as a seasoned Munster supporter I don't think I personally have ever seen a team put it on the line like they did last night, truly magnificent, if you don't like it that I feel that way then tough.

Lothaar wrote: »
    The game meant way more than the Munster-NZ match last night... but I don't think it was a better game.

That's fair enough :)

I don't have a problem with Munster. I have a problem with you having a problem with Soccer and feeling the need to highlight it in a Rugby-related Thread.

I would have loved to see Munster win last night. But they didn't. End of.
    I Did not say i had a problem with soccer i just said i haven't seen a soccer match as good as the match last night in a while and a few people jump on the band wagon :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lets keep it civilised folks. no more about soccer please. debate the post not the poster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/stir
    RuggieBear wrote: »
    lets keep it civilised folks. no more about soccer please. debate the post not the poster...
    Amen to that.

Just saw some highlights this morning, seemed like a great atmosphere in Thomond. They did themselves end everyone else proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I think the real issue here, which I'm sure we can all agree upon, is that American Football is better than rugby. And tougher too!

Ok... /stir.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

God, if tournaments were based on moral victories, Ireland would be champions of everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Sorry for ignoring the provincial discussions, I am just not interested. Just wanted to post a quick comment about the match: The effort and passion the Munsters team put into this match made it one of the most impressive sporting events I have ever witnessed.

I have seen in the old days coaches in different sports getting their players to watch Rocky to get the team into the right fighting spirit. This match would have the same effect.

Ah, and the Munster Haka rocks!

Sorry, I really didn't make it clear that i was referring to the future. When the likes of Weepu, So'olialo etc if they want to move to Europe for a bit of Heineken Cup rugby, Munster and Leinster may well be the first port of call. The choice of 'elderly' was a bit of a red herring.
    I'd prefer they didn't come to any of the provinces actually. We need competition for crunch positions. Overseas non-qualified players don't add to this, in my opinion. Sure, they add experience for playing beside them but I don't want to see Irish players displaced. If the position was abundant with choice, I wouldn't mind so much.

Munster are never ones to go celebrating a loss. In fact Munster are part of the reason why that 'give it a lash' attitude in Irish sport has faded.
    What you're seeing here isn't celebration of a loss. Its the celebration of a tremendous sporting occassion and the honouring of a tradition and pride between two behemoths of rugby.

I'd prefer they didn't come to any of the provinces actually. We need competition for crunch positions. Overseas non-qualified players don't add to this, in my opinion. Sure, they add experience for playing beside them but I don't want to see Irish players displaced. If the position was abundant with choice, I wouldn't mind so much.

Of course in an ideal world Munster and Leinster would put out first XVs in the Heineken Cup against all English Leicester teams and all French Toulouse teams.
    The fact of the matter is that in the modern game that won't happen. Its the same with soccer and all other professional sports. There are so many pros and cons to the issue of foreign players that it really isn't worth discussing at any great length in this thread.

Of course in an ideal world Munster and Leinster would put out first XVs in the Heineken Cup against all English Leicester teams and all French Toulouse teams.
    The fact of the matter is that in the modern game that won't happen. Its the same with soccer and all other professional sports. There are so many pros and cons to the issue of foreign players that it really isn't worth discussing at any great length in this thread.

With the proposal for ditching the Kolpak ruling in Brussels, I think you will find its very relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I think thats debatable really. Sure the same weakened squad trounced the feeble Scots the other weekend. To be honest I would reckon that squad would beat Ireland anyway. That is in no way saying that our Munster youngsters are in any way as good as Ireland but the occassion and the passion surrounding the event created a chasm of impossibility in which such spectacles as the match last night, the miracle matches and the match in 1978 can and do occur.

Thats where you made a mistake in that I said any decent international side would have beaten the NZ team put out last night.

Agree totally that the event last night was a one off, that was all the more in the consciousness as there just arent these games against club sides anymore.

The game itself was of incredible intensity but wasn't really a classic as the skill levels just werent there, coupled with a ref who didnt know how to ref a breakdown at all - made it an exciting night. (I for one hope that ref never gets anywhere near an international game!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

Its the celebration of a tremendous sporting occassion and the honouring of a tradition and pride between two behemoths of rugby.

So Munster and now on a par with the All Blacks in WORLD rugby terms ?

Yeah right.

Go to South Africa and ask them what they think of Munster and they will say "Munster ? Who are they?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Reserves v reserves in an exhibition is in your top 3 sporting events of all time? Seriously? :confused:

You weren't there, you'll never understand.

Aldini98 wrote: »
    So Munster and now on a par with the All Blacks in WORLD rugby terms ?

Yeah right.

Go to South Africa and ask them what they think of Munster and they will say "Munster ? Who are they?"

Did it say WORLD in your wee quote of me? No. Did I once say Munster are on a par with the All Blacks?

Did it say WORLD in your wee quote of me? No. Did I once say Munster are on a par with the All Blacks?

you said "two behemoths of rugby".

This means if I was a bohemoth of rugby and you were a bohemoth of rugby then we would be on a par or at least close.

This is what YOU said.

Therefore, the All blacks are close to Munster in rugby terms by what you said.

Which, of course, is nonsense.

Then again, a Munster fan talking nonsense is nothing new (See singing about a place in Connacht). :p

The bitterness has really started to flow now.

Big green monsters!

you said "two behemoths of rugby".

This means if I was a bohemoth of rugby and you were a bohemoth of rugby then we would be on a par or at least close.

This is what YOU said.

Therefore, the All blacks are close to Munster in rugby terms by what you said.

Which, of course, is nonsense.

Then again, a Munster fan talking nonsense is nothing new (See singing about a place in Connacht). :p

They are behemoths though in their own individual ways. They transcend the normal limitations and are almost mythical in terms of whats gone down in Thomond Park over the years and what the All Blacks have achieved. I'

"Allez Les Bleus" - very Leinster song that on the subject of songs.

Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

ats off to the sheer talent of that NZ side. They always looked the more threatening side with ball in hand, and they showed a lot of self belief to pull out a result despite (by their standards) a shocking performance.

As others have said, a huge performance from the second Munster squad. More than a few of the first team will be looking over their shoulders after that match!

Kudos the the Munster backroom too. The plan worked perfectly, and the boys smothered the life out of a team that had easily enough talent to put 50 points on us.

They are behemoths though in their own individual ways. They transcend the normal limitations and are almost mythical in terms of whats gone down in Thomond Park over the years and what the All Blacks have achieved. I'

"Allez Les Bleus" - very Leinster song that on the subject of songs.

Grow up.

So Munster having beaten all these teams with home advantage is just like the All Blacks travelling the world beating everyone they meet ? Of course it is.....

Me grow up ? You first.

• Advertisement

You weren't there, you'll never understand.

Can you answer me this, and it's a genuine question - why was there so much passion and pride etc for a friendly between two second strings yet the Magners League, which is an actual competition doesn't generate the same buzz?

As said earlier, this thread has hundreds of posts, yet the game was only an exhibition.

Is it bandwagoners crawling out of the woodwork?

So Munster having beaten all these teams with home advantage is just like the All Blacks travelling the world beating everyone they meet ? Of course it is.....

Me grow up ? You first.

Well we've done it away from home as well....

But no its not the same nor did I say it was. Read the posts before quoting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Wow... The bitterness...

Would ye all be Leinster supporters by any chance????

Win lose or draw. Munster put up one hell of a fight last night against the All Blacks. Regardless of whether it was the first team or not, Munster did everything that Ireland did not do last weekend.

It's a proud moment to be a Munster Supporter. If Leinster had managed the same thing.. you certainly would not see us Munster supporters trying to bring you down. Any team that can go out and perform like Munster did last night deserves to celebrate.

To the brave and faithful, Nothing is impossible!

Me grow up ? You first.

Don't think anyone said that or meant that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ninty9er wrote: »
    I was at the match and thought the defence could have been much better.

Munster seemed reluctant to be constantly in the way of the All Blacks.

Stringer gave an epic performance, but non existent defence in patches was what handed the scoreline victory to the All Blacks.

The ref didn't help matters, but there's no guarantee better refereeing would have changed the scoreline.

It was a very enjoyable historical occasion, and was exciting in parts, but it wasn't the best rugby I've ever seen, coming from someone who's not a massive rugby fanatic.

I missed the clock and was delighted for a few seconds when the ball went into touch to end the game, Munster and the All Blacks made some similar small mistakes along the way which could have seen victory handed to either of the teams really.

The lads gave it a great shot, it was just a pity it wasn't to be this time.

you need to change your dealer sonney boy

Can you answer me this, and it's a genuine question - why was there so much passion and pride etc for a friendly between two second strings yet the the Magners League, which is an actual competition doesn't generate the same buzz?

As said earlier, this thread has hundreds of posts, yet the game was only an exhibition.

A friendly? When did the All Blacks start playing friendlies on tour?

Go and learn something about Ruby before you comment please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Sorry just want to add that I'm not saying that it's only Leinster supporters that are being bitter here. Just in general, if any other team national or otherwise had put up the same performance, they would be more than entitled to celebrate their victory at a fantastic achievement.

Can you answer me this, and it's a genuine question - why was there so much passion and pride etc for a friendly between two second strings yet the Magners League, which is an actual competition doesn't generate the same buzz?

Its the All Blacks! Thats why. It's not every day they come over to play a match in Ireland and a match against a province is rarer still.
    Plus its 30 years since the 1978 game so that really boosted the profile of such a fixture. It was about honouring them, plus it was a huge money spinner for Adidas.

Big green monsters!

are you talking about O'Connell and O'Callaghan ? Course you're not because they dont bother when wearing green.

A friendly? When did the All Blacks start playing friendlies on tour?

Go and learn something about Ruby before you comment please.

:rolleyes: It was purely a money spinner for Adidas. Even the most diehard Munster must know that. There was no prize at stake and no reward for victory. It was an exhibition.

If the All Blacks saw it as such an important game then they would have had a full team out.

are you talking about O'Connell and O'Callaghan ? Course you're not because they dont bother when wearing green.

What have O'Connell and O'Callaghan got to do with any of this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement