Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial 4x4- number of seats

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Hi all

If you are looking to commercial tax and insure a category B or C commercial 4x4, say a trooper, can you only do so if it has two seats?

Can you remove the rear seats yourself and would it be a big job to do so? my da is a fitter and would have access to any tools so could we do it easily enough?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

there has to be more cargo room than passenger room, measure the length from the dashboard to 2nd row of seats, then measure from the 2nd row of seats to the boot door, if that 2nd measurment is shorter than the first, you wont get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The load bay must be a minimum of 45% of the vehicles wheelbase, all seat and seatbelt anchor points must be gone, and it must have a flat floor. If you're going for a crewcab with 4/5 seats, then you must also have a solid bulkhead. You then pay the lower VRT rate, and tax as commercial. For €50, the GVW must be over 3,449kg, as indicated on the chassis plate.

You may also need to be able to provide a VAT number, but I could be wrong about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hi Thanks for that

Yeah i have been asking about a VAT number, i am told you dont need one. A workmate of my father has a commercial land cruiser and uses it for nixers and holding his tools. He says he has commercial tax and insurance with no VAT number.

Can anyone confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

No need for a vat number, we converted a 1996 LWB pajero last april, I took out the seats myself with a few spanners, pulled the safety belts out to the last and cut and removed them, built up the rear footwells so they were level with the floor and put new carpet over the whole floor

no modification needed on the windows ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

For the DOE test it says the seat belt anchor points and seat anchor points must be permanently sealed.

No need to have a flat floor from a testing point of view.

Log book will have to be changed from private to own goods and it will need to be weighed at a tax office certified weigh bridge for both the DOE and tax purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Im sure the windows need to be Sealed (not sure how to say it) Filled in?

is it just me or is boards being slow tonight?

yeah, im bringing my vehicle in on friday and i was told flat metal floor, (no cheap wood :( , seat and seatbelt mounts filled/destroyed, windows covered by metal sheets inside (no cheap wood there either :( )

That to the tax office or a test station?

VRT office

• Advertisement

If it was me i would just put filler in the holes, then paint over them and cover them in body schultz so if you ever want to change it back you can

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

From what i know.

The seats rear seats have to be taken out, the holes for the screws have to be welded over or permantly sealed(to stop you putting the seats back in).
    Rear seat belt have to be either removed or hidden, i know of a fella who just tucked them behind the plastic and got away with it. The same fella didn't cover any of the windows.

General case for new commercials is that a box has to be fitted, but i'm not sure this is case for older models.

The general reason people would change to commercial is to claim back the VAT. Also unless you already have something that your willing to convert, i wouldn't bother. If can be alot less hassle to just go away and buy a commercial. Saves you the bother. What have you got?

You probably know yourself, the now commercial will have to be Doe'd once a year, rather than every two with a passenger. Vehicle will have to be weighed as well for the doe.

Advertisement