Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to the BMI

• 17-11-2008 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Dr Margaret Ashwell, has developed a chart that plots waist against height as a more accurate measurement of whether you are at an advisable weight.
    Link:

www.ashwell.uk.com/shapechart.pdf

Source: The Telegraph

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Thank you for that. According to that, I'm well within the "ok" category, while I'm always at the high end of the BMI scale.

I had heard that a good rule of thumb is that for women, waist should be less than half your height, and waist to hip ratio should be 0.75 : 1 or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

EileenG wrote: »
    According to that, I'm well within the "ok" category, while I'm always at the high end of the BMI scale.

Exact same with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm at the low end of the BMI scale. :o Will probably stay that way while I'm actively fighting. One of the lads in my gym who's quite tall and lean was told that he was underweight because of the BMI madness. The reality: The guy's just tall and very lean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am in the OK range. I thought it strange that the graph suits both men & women. I would expect a woman of my height to have a smaller waist.

The hip to waist ratio "ideal range" is different for men & women. Also it is only concerned with waist. I have seen a few women with a huge arse but relatively thin waist.

I suppose a mixture of a few guides, and common sense would do the trick, but even some medical professionals do not have common sense when it comes to these guides.

My slimguide calipers came with a sheet with ideal weights, it took account of your frame size in it, had to measure your wrist and elbow size I think.

Advertisement