Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vokera Gas Boiler Flashing red Light

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm new to Charlesland and this is my very first post here.

I'm having a major problem with my Vokera boiler, it keeps going yo the flashing red light. My husband managed to fix it for a little while but it was always only temporary.

The house is freezing cold and the only way we can get any hot water is by manually switching on the water. This is not economical, andis totally not practical in the mornings.

We more than often have ice cold water every morning. It's getting really frustrating, as we have a little boy who has just turned 1 and the house is just way too cold for him.

Would any of you be able to recommend a trustworthy plumber, or is there any one I could contact to help towards resolving this issue?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot
    Chipoue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

You might check a couple of things first...

What pressure do you have on the gauge? It should be between 1 and 2 bar. If it's not over 0.8 bar or so it might not function correctly. To top this up you must temporarily open the valve beside the Hot Water Cylinder in the Hot Press to let water into the system. Only open slightly and close again as you don't water too much pressure in the system.

If you keep loosing pressure then you have a leak somewhere...check all radiator fittings to see if you are leaking a little.

Having skimmed through the manual, it is possible the system overheats...I know, a system designed to heat up something can overheat! You can check a couple of things here. 1. Set the thermostat on the boiler to about 75% rather than on full. 2. Go to the Hot water cylinder in the Hot Press and check the valve with the numbers on it...it should be on the pipe going into the side of the hot water cylinder at mid level. Let this be at setting 5. It's the reccomended 'click' setting and 5 has a square around it unlike the rest of the numbers.

You will find the manual for your boiler if you need more info...assuming your boiler is the standard efficiency model at:

http://www.vokera.co.uk/productdetails.asp?prodid={6BF77616-10EB-4B97-B51D-8D1E5DB8368F}&id={7F682E9E-0C3C-4153-BBE7-45B06195D769}&catid={76F0C0AB-3C75-4D4E-A894-D07BAA97D66C}&n=mynutese

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

contact Bord Gais and get them to come and repair the boiler - simplest solution.

Out boiler (not Vokera) had been losing pressure since we moved in 3 years ago, I was having to re-pressurise it every few weeks. A couple of different plumbers had a look at it but they both said it was nothing to worry about.

Then it started losing pressure so fast I had to repressurise every day. The guy from Bord Gais came in and noticed that the pressure vessel in the boiler had completely deflated - he pumped it back up and did a comprehensive service. It hasn't lost a unit of pressure since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chipoue

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

My boiler isn't losing pressure though. It has in the past but it would take weeks for it to lose pressure. It's currently above 1.5 but lower than 2.0.

I am going to lower the thermostat on the immersion tank tonight as well as on the Gas boiler.

Hopefully this will work.

My husband was saying that a batch of Vokera gas boilers had a faulty switch in them. I know he means well, but this time, I think I'll try the gentle approach before he starts pulling things apart :D

I'll let you know how I get on tonight:)

Thanks a lot.
    Chipoue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the immersion and the boiler are completely unrelated. If your boiler is cutting out you need to get a professional to look at it.

Advertisement