Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car: Corolla 1.3 G6 or Corolla 1.4 VVTi

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I am undecided between a Corolla 1.3 G6 or Corolla 1.4 VVTi.
    Any reccomendations?

I believe the G6 is 81 BHP and the vvti is 94 BHP

I am more keen on the G6, but I am open to suggestion
    If I did i would probably buy a remap, induction kit and exhaust system to make up the difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

powerwise, a remap wouldnt make much difference at all on those engines, if you could even get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

monster1 wrote: »
    powerwise, a remap wouldnt make much difference at all on those engines, if you could even get one.
    true that
    first car so just get something that you will be able to get a good price for
    I think the g6 corrolas are overpriced for what they are...........theyre will always be people who want the 1.4 new model corrola but the other one is getting on
    but I suppose the g6 has more of the modified flash look if youre into that but then why not get a glanza then if youre going for that age of car

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

A remap on a petrol gets you approx <10% while a tdi gets about <30% percent...
    Ya i'm lookin for a sporty car as the g6. I don't really like glanzas. Can you recommend anythin else?

About a 1.4 i'd say... Something affordable too. Not to keen on colts or mirages. I wouldn't mind a golf or a civic either

• Advertisement

Any other ideas? I think i might try pick up a g6

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

nissan almera, ford focus? how much are you spending?

Almera isn't too bad but how is it as a car? Could someone link me to a nice focus. About 2000 to 3500 dependin on spec car and modifications. The g6 looks perfect to me so i wouldn't put anything into modifications other than some ice.
    I'm basically lookin for a nice <1.4 hatchbak

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

toco123 wrote: »
    About a 1.4 i'd say... Something affordable too. Not to keen on colts or mirages. I wouldn't mind a golf or a civic either

If your thinking of getting a Golf stay away from the petrol ones esp the 1.4 as the engine isn't great and you'll find it sluggish compared to say the civic 1.4. You'd be much better off getting the TDi Golf better engine than 1.4 and better "pull" throught the gears. also great MPG even if you tend to have a heavy right foot!:D

The only downside bout them is tax is €560/year!:mad:

And yes I know its a 1.9 but you wouldn't be slaughtered on insurance because its diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

How do, just saw this thread and had to register and post.

I've driven all those cars that you have mentioned, and what I've found is this:

• Focus 1.4 Mk 1 (Indicators in the bumper) or 1.5 (the one with the indicators in the headlamp)- I own one.
    Pro: Lovely car to own & drive, still think it looks pretty sharp especially when she's been polished. Roomy enough. Decent boot space, especially with seats down.
    Con: VERY underpowered 1.4 engine means she's hard enough on stuff, overtaking can be a bit of a struggle. Prone to having water leak in through the pollen filter, meaning a damp passenger footwell which is a seats out carpet out proper fix (newspaper & hairdryer ghetto fix), usual Ford rust issues (arches & doors)
    Suggestion: Get a 1.6 petrol (slighter better power, fuel consumption similar insurance not much different) or a turf burner (decent poke and stronger engine)
    • Civic 1.4:
    Pro: Looks like an iconic car, can be made scrub up very well, nippy for a 1.4, good strong engine, no Vtec - easier to insure (note i said easier, not easy)
    Cons: A lot will have been ragged, ropey mod's, stupidly priced in the Irish market, insurance crippling dur to (i hate the term) boy racers.
    Suggestion: View a 1.6 ils for coupe style with very easy insurance
    see http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/1.6ils/200846190874353/advert as an example (Note to Mods: Not an direct advert, just using it as an example)
    • Golf 1.4:
    Pro: Emmm... can pick them up cheap?!?
    Cons: Getting on a bit, aged looking, 1.4 engine is terribly under powered for a heavy car, mechanical issues, rotting in sills
    Suggestion: Diesel power, for the win. Then you can go down the route of tuning & chipping if you wish - as they say in Monaghan, No Smoke, No Poke.
    • Corolla 1.4VVti:
    Pro: Can rival Vtec engines, careful mods = tasteful car, usually a little old granny driving meaning easy driven, usually bulletproof, great on corners.
    Cons: usually a little old granny driving meaning dents and scratches, likes the taste of oil a bit too much (its a toyota), can like gearboxes, ranging from uninspiring interior trim to dreadful interior trim, a heavy right foot and K&N filter/backbox combo can see fuel consumption drop almost to single figures!!! Unsupportive seats can mean backache after long journeys.
    Suggestion: Possibly one of the better listed, but keep her topped with oil.
    • Corolla 1.3 G6:
    Pro: Rated by most as a less tempermental engine than the VVti, less to go wrong, rarity value, again tasteful mods = tidy car, better interior trim than some newer ones, great one corners
    Cons: Its still a standard 1.3 Corolla with added badges (more weight :P), a lot will have been ragged, dodgy mods = dodgy car.
    Suggestion: Bargain price down, and your onto a good thing. Some have had engine swaps with Glanza's, meaning turbo fun.
    Any others that I'd mention/avoid?

Maybe a Fiat Bravo 1.4 12v, despite the Fiat-ness, can be a good car, I like the looks of it with the Abarth kit, a mates first (legit) car was one and he swears it was one of the best cars hes driven, it took abuse, nippy, easy ish on stuff and easy insured.

I'd avoid a 1.4 Almera, again decent engine, but underpowered for what it is. Maybe investigate a Pulsar if insurance allows.

Or an Astra. Can pick them up cheap as chips, I prefer the older ones/Kadetts to the 00 model myself, but thats me (old skool is cool skool). But watch for rust and a lot WILL have been abused.

Hope I've been of some help. I'm by no means an expert in cars, I just have picked up some info and I wanted to share.

Time for me to go home to bed.

S.:cool:

• Advertisement

:o Thanks sofizticated for that generous contribution! I'll have a look and get back

Where do you recomend lookin for a corolla g6 1.3 with and without turbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I assume you want cheapish insurance which is why you originally wanted a 1.4?

Insurance on a G6 with an engine swap won't be cheap if you want to be legal. Insurance takes a hike with mods too, mine went up about €200 due to lowering/induction/exhaust.

I'd take a 1.9TDI over a 1.4 in a heartbeat. Tax is essentially 4.50 a week extra but worth it, probably save some of that with the better mileage anyway.

Any recomendations on tdi vans or carvan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Almera isn't too bad but how is it as a car?

I have an 98 almera s sports.

They are pretty solid cars, engine has never given me a bit of trouble and a wide range of parts for it too. You could pick up a good condition 3dr almera for under 2k easily. Pretty quick cars too.

Saying that I havent driven any of the cars your interested in. But I would add it too the pile of suggestions.

Also, I might recomend a Honda Civic 1.5 hatch. They are as easy to insure as a 1.4 tbh and they are rapid enough!

I'm between a 1.9 tdi golf, corolla g6 1.3 and maybe a civic 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

I'd go for the g6 and build up ur no claims and then get something proper

Okay i think i'll go for it... But i don't think its worth the price? Anyone seen any cheap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Get a caddy van or a little corrolla car van, either of the two... preff an old charade van so you never have to test it...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

if you go for the TDI you can get the engine chipped/remapped to get a 30% increase in power(depending on original bhp)

the g6's are way too overpriced imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Where do you recomend lookin for a corolla g6 1.3 with and without turbo?

Is there a turbo model? If its your first car you won't get insured on one, but i don't think there is a turbo model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

there's no turbo model, they came in a g6 which was a 1.3, and a g6r which was a 1.6. friend of mine has a g6 and never gave one bit of bother in the time he's owned it, i believe its up for sale at a very good price aswel..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

There is a red g6 for sale on dtdirl.com for a very good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

MOG7 wrote: »
    There is a red g6 for sale on dtdirl.com for a very good price.

thats the one i'm thinkin of, i'm quite good mates with the lad

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1259238

theres a link to it on driving.ie...

By turbo i meant with a glanza engine.
    It would have to be black by the way...
    Although that is a reasonably fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

You can get MG's for nothing and very few of them around.Corolla's, Golfs etc are so over priced its crazy, everyone has one too.

This a good deal imo.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1250789

Do you have a full license Toco?

If you do why dont you go for a 1.6?

You'd pick up a nice bmw/alfa romeo for that.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1218165

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1261357

Both are alot more comfort and powerful than a Corolla.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Don't get a G6, they are really underpowered and sluggish to drive. Why not get the 1.4 VVTi with the facelift (2001) and put a TTE kit on it.
    I have the 1.4 and its a nice nippy car, mine has 103BHP with 105 Torque, if the engine is kept good she would run forever.

I am just 17 and have only recieved my provisional license... I have no problem going under the parents insurance tho. I'm not to keen on mg's or alfa's and they're not very popular around here.
    Hatchbak astra looks okay.
    Also this is the type VVti i would like:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/VVTi-GS/200845190737941/advert

Here is an example of the quotes I got from Quinn Direct Online:

Car worth: €3500
    TPFT Prices under parents

Toyota Corolla G6 1.3
    €1,534.64
    BMW 316 1.6
    €1,661.96
    Toyota Corolla 1.4 GS VVTi
    €1,317.37
    Volkswagen Golf TDI
    €1,534.69

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I am just 17 and have only recieved my provisional license... I have no problem going under the parents insurance tho. I'm not to keen on mg's or alfa's and they're not very popular around here.
    Hatchbak astra looks okay.
    Also this is the type VVti i would like:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/VVTi-GS/200845190737941/advert

Here is an example of the quotes I got from Quinn Direct Online:

Car worth: €3500
    TPFT Prices under parents

Toyota Corolla G6 1.3
    €1,534.64
    BMW 316 1.6
    €1,661.96
    Toyota Corolla 1.4 GS VVTi
    €1,317.37
    Volkswagen Golf TDI
    €1,534.69

Thats the Faceliftt VVTI, try getting one in mid 2001 as the 2000 ones have a few small engine problems that will show up after a bit of time such as the VVTi solenoid and a couple of other expensive sensors that will need a replacement(Last christmas day mine went and was only fixed after each and every sensor was replaced to find the fault and it took my mechanic months to get it running right again. It also is quicker than the G6 and if I remember rightly also uses less go-go juice and has better steering.

• Advertisement

What price should i be paying for one?

Advertisement