Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade-in values becoming rediculous...

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:38pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by Gamestop and Game regarding the trade-in value being offered for games.

When I was buying GoW2, I took Orange Box and COD4 with me as trade in. GameStop offered me just 14 euro for each of them. Popped into XtraVision next door and they were happy to give 30 for COD 4 and 20 for Orange Box...guess who got my business!

Then on Friday, I walked into Game. They were giving (give or take a euro as cant remember exactly) 7 euro for Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 and 8 euro for Super Paper Mario. That's just plain insulting tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Theres huge profit to be made in this area so they are taking advantage big time. I dont trade in games anymore, id prefer to let them pile up in the corner than let the likes of game give me 5 euro and sell on for 40.

If I ever need to get rid of games, I just put them for sale on Adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Chumpski wrote: »
    Theres huge profit to be made in this area so they are taking advantage big time. I dont trade in games anymore, id prefer to let them pile up in the corner than let the likes of game give me 5 euro and sell on for 40.

I'm the same. I'd rather not trade in even a crappy game so the likes of Game can sell it for a whole lot more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd always shop around with tradeins but would almost never trade in anything to Game or Gamestop...but it's just the barefaced cheek to offer such terrible prices that gets my goat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

why don't people rent? Financially it makes a lot more sense. A guy in work is constantly buying games on release, playing them for about a month or 2 then trading them in and losing about 30% on what he paid for it.

I've been renting all my games from gamesenders.ie since I got my PS3. It works out at around €7.50 per game and I get to keep them for as long as I want (needed for the likes of MGS4) If I like them enough that I'd play the MP, then I could just go and get the game second hand by that stage. Still making a saving on buying it new.

So far I haven't bought any of the games I've rented as there is always another new game out that I'd rather be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Dear god people, use adverts.ie!
    Cuts out the greedy middleman completely and both parties benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was behind some chap in the queue in game a while ago, he was trading in 3 PS3 games (don't know which ones but I'm guessing they were possibly launch titles).

They guy behind the counter goes "Ok, you can get 15 euro"

Guy with games "each?"

Game guy looking sheepish "No, in total"

I checked the price of the second hand games on offer there and they were going for pretty huge chunks of change, I mean they must be making huge amounts on this line of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Until we inform the average idiot, this is what they'll continue doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

+1 on adverts.ie

It's no good whinging about Game and the like trying to make money off the backs of foolish people who trade games in with them...vote with your feet and either go elsewhere or sell them yourself on ads or eBay or whatever...more profit for you, better value for the new buyer, everyone's a winner except the rip off merchants...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well I guess theres the added security that if the game doesn't work you can bring it back.

Unless a game you buy off a guy face to fact is in absolutely perfect condition you can never be 100% certain it will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Until we inform the average idiot, this is what they'll continue doing.

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Becoming ridiculous implies trade in offers used to be good. I don't remember such a thing. Adverts FTW or XtraVision if you're in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

I was in GAME and bought Fallout 3 for PS3 for €50.
    I had a browse of the used PS3 games section and there were 4 copies of Fallout 3 for €55 on the shelf. I was like WTF!!

There is now a backlash form game developers and publishers against the likes of Gamestop & GAME. Look at the trend beginning this year with features only available in new copies, not available in used copies.
    GOW2 MP maps, EA Live Season in FIFA 09 & Madden, Fable 2 DLC and Rockband.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

silvine wrote: »
    Becoming ridiculous implies trade in offers used to be good. I don't remember such a thing. Adverts FTW or XtraVision if you're in a rush.

Don't get me wrong, they have always been pretty poor, but I'm saying recently, they have become absolutely rediculous. They buy Unreal 3 for 7 and sell it again for 35-40.

I don't think Adverts.ie is as great as everyone says either...I have had numerous problems with items arriving not as advertised. Game carts not saving properly, discs very badly scratched etc.

Back on topic, my preferred method is buying from tesco on release day and trading it back to xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Anyone know what HMV are like now they are doing trade ins? I'm guessing not great...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

tman wrote: »
    Dear god people, use adverts.ie!
    Cuts out the greedy middleman completely and both parties benefit from it.
    Wertz wrote: »
    +1 on adverts.ie

Aren't shills meant to get banned? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I traded in GTA4 last Friday in gamestop and got a miserable €17 for it. While I was queuing, a woman who was buying an XBox360 asked how much GTA4 was second hand. She was told that its €35 second hand.

So gamestop are marking up my tradein by 100%, which is unreal.

They also gave me €3 for Assassins Creed (the excuse there was that they had 128 of them second hand in stock in the back room!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why did you not refuse this shoddy service, then?

Bloody Irish eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

L31mr0d wrote: »
    why don't people rent? Financially it makes a lot more sense. A guy in work is constantly buying games on release, playing them for about a month or 2 then trading them in and losing about 30% on what he paid for it.

I've been renting all my games from gamesenders.ie since I got my PS3. It works out at around €7.50 per game and I get to keep them for as long as I want (needed for the likes of MGS4) If I like them enough that I'd play the MP, then I could just go and get the game second hand by that stage. Still making a saving on buying it new.

So far I haven't bought any of the games I've rented as there is always another new game out that I'd rather be playing.

I prefer to own my games but gamesenders is a good idea as long as you get the game you want though. My solution is to not trade them at all. They aren't really worth anything so I just keep them all in case I want to play them again.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, they have always been pretty poor, but I'm saying recently, they have become absolutely rediculous. They buy Unreal 3 for 7 and sell it again for 35-40.

I don't think Adverts.ie is as great as everyone says either...I have had numerous problems with items arriving not as advertised. Game carts not saving properly, discs very badly scratched etc.

Back on topic, my preferred method is buying from tesco on release day and trading it back to xtravision.

Ask for pics.
    humanji wrote: »
    Aren't shills meant to get banned? :pac:

They'd have to be reported though.

brim4brim wrote: »
    I prefer to own my games but gamesenders is a good idea as long as you get the game you want though. My solution is to not trade them at all. They aren't really worth anything so I just keep them all in case I want to play them again.

Ownership is overrated. If I get a twinge to play a game released within the last few years somewhere will be selling it for next to nothing. There's no point spending full price for a game to play through it once and then use it as a rather crap shelf ornament.

Usually though by the time I get nostalgic enough to want to play a game again computers have gotten powerful enough to emulate them.

• Advertisement

I agree, L31mr0d... I traded GTA4 because I was bored with it. I traded Lost Odyssey because I was bored with it. I traded.... (see where I'm going with this?)

Mr E wrote: »
    I agree, L31mr0d... I traded GTA4 because I was bored with it. I traded Lost Odyssey because I was bored with it. I traded.... (see where I'm going with this?)

You didn't read my first post. You would save more money if you rented the game then if you bought it new and then trade it in. You also have to factor the time wasted trading the games, queuing in game shops, shopping around to see who will give you the most money, posting on adverts.ie and responding to peoples questions... This is time you could be using to game :D

My rentals get posted in my letter box and are on the floor when I get home from work, ready to be played. I pass a post box on the way to work so I just pop it in the prepaid envelope and post it back when I'm done with it. It's efficient, cheap and reliable, I really don't understand why more people don't rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

The picture you paint sounds perfect but what are the realistic odds of getting the game you want in your post box on release day. It's perfect for older games or if you're willing to wait a few weeks for the frenzy for a new game to subside.

djkeogh wrote: »
    The picture you paint sounds perfect but what are the realistic odds of getting the game you want in your post box on release day. It's perfect for older games or if you're willing to wait a few weeks for the frenzy for a new game to subside.

Well I don't care about playing the games on release day. I usually have 4 or more games on the go at the same time, and I always have a backlog to get through anyway. I've just added all the games that I want to play to a queue and when any of them become available they are sent to me.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    You didn't read my first post. You would save more money if you rented the game then if you bought it new and then trade it in.

I was responding to your "Buying games is overrated" comment. :)

I was responding to your "Buying games is overrated" comment. :)

I don't get it, how does saying you like to trade games in prove that buying them is not overrated? :confused:

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I traded in GTA4 last Friday in gamestop and got a miserable €17 for it. While I was queuing, a woman who was buying an XBox360 asked how much GTA4 was second hand. She was told that its €35 second hand.

So gamestop are marking up my tradein by 100%, which is unreal.

They also gave me €3 for Assassins Creed (the excuse there was that they had 128 of them second hand in stock in the back room!)

Game are offering €13.00 for GTA4 so €17.00 is not too bad when compared to it - come to us we will give you €20 ;) To be honest I would say that the €18.00 difference is a bit much BUT in fairness to all retailers of pre owned games most people do not consider when they first look at it that the €35.00 price has VAT built into it.

Not too surprised at the €3.00 quote for Assassins Creed. There are thousands of them lying around both new and pre owned PLUS it is now out in platinum and not shifting from there either. They most likely will end up being sold for a fiver in a years time !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

take out the middle-man, sell on ebay or adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

i've always got good prices on trade in from gamestop. An example was "midnight club los angeles", xtravision offered 17€ and gamestop offered me 40€. To me it seems if you trade within a month or so you get very good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

I spent a couple of years werkin in xtra-vision up untill recently and tbh they do give the best trade values for the most part, but everywhere u go they are making 100% + on your trade in. Trade only really works for those who buy brand new games constantly and complete and trade them within a month or so of release. After that your just coddin yerself that 5 of you old games are worth gettin Lego f**kin Indiana jones for half price

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement